Struggling to reach 2000 healthy calories

Options
2»

Replies

• Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    AmieAP wrote: »
    He wants me to avoid all fat. I can have up to 20% fat - any fat. Oh I eat fruit, just not granulated sugar or brown sugar or that fake sugar they make. I also eat vegetables that contain sugar.
    cottage cheese sounds great actually! And beans. I don't eat beans at all come to think of it.
    Great choices here, thanks for reminding me of some great foods I haven't been eating. I will add some of these to my diet.

Gotcha - while I don't agree with your take on sugar, that's your personal choice to make. Beans are great - all kinds - black beans, fat free refried, pinto, etc. And really versatile, you can do a lot of different types of dishes with them and they have good protein in them as well. Skinnytaste.com is a website I use regularly for new recipes - you could find some different ways to prepare things on there so that you don't get bored.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you can't eat more than 20% fat for medical reasons and are too stuffed to even reach 1000 calories/day, you really should consider adding some sugar and/or other simple carbs. You have to keep your strength if you are going through surgery.

20 E% from fat is a small amount in a 1000 calorie diet. If you ate more food, you could eat more fat too. Or did your doc give you a limit of grams per day?
  • AmieAP
    AmieAP Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    He wants me to avoid all fat. I can have up to 20% fat - any fat. Oh I eat fruit, just not granulated sugar or brown sugar or that fake sugar they make. I also eat vegetables that contain sugar.
    cottage cheese sounds great actually! And beans. I don't eat beans at all come to think of it.
    Great choices here, thanks for reminding me of some great foods I haven't been eating. I will add some of these to my diet.

Gotcha - while I don't agree with your take on sugar, that's your personal choice to make. Beans are great - all kinds - black beans, fat free refried, pinto, etc. And really versatile, you can do a lot of different types of dishes with them and they have good protein in them as well. Skinnytaste.com is a website I use regularly for new recipes - you could find some different ways to prepare things on there so that you don't get bored.

OK that's very helpful. Thank you.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    OP as you're restricted on fats due to gallbladder issues I can understand why you're having a tougher time meeting your numbers. You may find sitting down and creating an actual meal plan helpful. You can input all your meals and see how the numbers will turn out for the day and adjust from there. Planning IMHO really is key especially when first starting out.

There are tons of recipes out there if you type in low fat recipes, all free, google really is your friend.

As for your hatred of sugar and belief it's unhealthy you may want to consider that ALL carbohydrate regardless of whether it's from Krispy Kreme or a bowl of old fashioned oats ends up as one thing in the body..... glucose. Whilst bucket loads of the stuff isn't advisable sugar is not the spawn of Satan and the last time I checked fruit was pretty up there in it's sugar content.
  • AmieAP
    Options
    If you can't eat more than 20% fat for medical reasons and are too stuffed to even reach 1000 calories/day, you really should consider adding some sugar and/or other simple carbs. You have to keep your strength if you are going through surgery.

20 E% from fat is a small amount in a 1000 calorie diet. If you ate more food, you could eat more fat too. Or did your doc give you a limit of grams per day?

He said no more than 20% fat a day. I already aim for 2000 calories and that is while being quite active. I'm sure while I am in surgery, they will have me on some kind of dextrose fluids or something.
    He knows I don't eat white or brown or fake sugar and he said that it is a very healthy decision, but then again he is extremely obese.
  • AmieAP
    Options
    OP as you're restricted on fats due to gallbladder issues I can understand why you're having a tougher time meeting your numbers. You may find sitting down and creating an actual meal plan helpful. You can input all your meals and see how the numbers will turn out for the day and adjust from there. Planning IMHO really is key especially when first starting out.

There are tons of recipes out there if you type in low fat recipes, all free, google really is your friend.

As for your hatred of sugar and belief it's unhealthy you may want to consider that ALL carbohydrate regardless of whether it's from Krispy Kreme or a bowl of old fashioned oats ends up as one thing in the body..... glucose. Whilst bucket loads of the stuff isn't advisable sugar is not the spawn of Satan and the last time I checked fruit was pretty up there in it's sugar content.

Yes. Some fruits are worse than others and I try to stay with the lower fruits. I only eat one piece a day anyway. I guess the reason I don't eat sugar is because I don't think I have the willpower to just "have a little". Its always been all or nothing with me. I started out not eating fruit either but ended up in the hospital. Big mistake. I can't have sugar because I know it will lead me down a bad road. That is why I have to cut it out completely. It's sustainable for me. Been about two years now.
  • AmieAP
    Options

As for the meal planning, I think that is a fantastic idea. I will do that. Thank you.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you need to watch your fats to give your gall bladder a break and to avoid an attack. You could try adding more calories with carbohydrates like potatoes, rice (brown rice if you prefer), pastas, and breads.
  • AmieAP
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Yeah, you need to watch your fats to give your gall bladder a break and to avoid an attack. You could try adding more calories with carbohydrates like potatoes, rice (brown rice if you prefer), pastas, and breads.

Thanks. I think I will have to.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Juice. It's healthy, high-cal and doesn't make you feel stuffed. If you just need more calories, juice is the way to go.

I like the POM juice, myself. :)
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    My doctor is 400lbs and I wont pay for a nutritionist. There are too many resources online, like you guys, for free.

Sometimes, you get what you pay for. On the internet, no one knows you're a dog.

I got the gallstones diagnosis the week I got a positive pregnancy test, so it was nearly a year between diagnosis and surgery. I got really good at identifying and avoiding things that triggered attacks for me. Cheese and anything spicy and deep fried foods were the things I couldn't eat. Nuts and olive oil I could eat without any trouble. The total quantity of fat in my diet didn't make a bit of difference.

Your 400 pound doctor doesn't have your gallbladder, either.

• ejb06070
    ejb06070 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into the DASH Diet? My husband was turned to it when he was diagnosed with hypertension. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/dash-diet/art-20048456 Also, smoothies are great for weight loss and calories. You can throw in a cup of strawberries, a banana, a cup of milk, ice, yogurt, a drip of honey for sweetness if you want, and be right around 200 - 300 calories.
  • GreenTeaPotato
    GreenTeaPotato Posts: 40 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I just looked at your diary for today. You're good with the green leafy veggies. But with the exception of a piece of bread and some rice, you haven't eaten enough grains. And you've eaten cheese, beef and pork which are high in fat.

If your doc wants you low fat, then eat more grains: rice, barley, quinoa, couscous, millet, whole wheat, even white pasta, the list goes on... Whole grains are easy to cook (almost any of them can toss into a rice cooker with some seasoning). They have a good amount of calories, carbs, fiber, even a little protein, and very low in fat, if any.

Pair them up with legumes: beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc. High fiber, high protein, low-to-no fat food.

Eat some potatoes. So many ways to cook them. Lots of nutrition and calories with ZERO FAT.

Don't eat any more meat, cheese and dairy than you're already eating. Those foods are high in saturated fat and cholesterol. It's better to cut them down or cut them out entirely, but I know that's not most people's preference. In your case, at least they're not taking you above your calorie limit.

So get those extra calories you need from grains, beans, and starchy veggies like potatoes and corn.