Authentic American or Special American Food?

Options

Replies

• conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Get someone to make you a green bean casserole. :D
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Cornbread! Corn is very American and cornbread is well-loved.

Hot dogs
    Cheeseburgers
    Apple pie
    Meatloaf (but that's different in every house)
    Pot roast (I think)

If I had to pick something we could be known for, it would be sweet cornbread. So not low-cal, though.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing about NJ diners but they had them in PA too... Is that really a regional thing?

Anyway, depends on where you go. New England, you want lobster rolls or clam chowder. South, I'm not sure, maybe chicken and biscuits? Philly cheesesteaks obviously if you're in PA... Cheesecake if you're in NY... Cheese curds in Wisconsin (but I'm guessing you won't go there).

I really don't know this country enough to say more though, lol. But yeah it's all very high calorie stuff, obviously.

And I agree with some chain restaurants.

Otherwise, things you got to try (coming from a French person living in the US) - cheese fries, pancakes, cheesecake, onion rings, ribs (barbecue), cornbread, pies.
  • OhdatMo
    OhdatMo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Friday night fish fry or a weekend morning Pancake feed!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Cranberry jelly, pumpkin pie, umm....turkey....um mm pumpkin pie...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I keep hearing about NJ diners but they had them in PA too... Is that really a regional thing?

Anyway, depends on where you go. New England, you want lobster rolls or clam chowder. South, I'm not sure, maybe chicken and biscuits? Philly cheesesteaks obviously if you're in PA... Cheesecake if you're in NY... Cheese curds in Wisconsin (but I'm guessing you won't go there).

I really don't know this country enough to say more though, lol. But yeah it's all very high calorie stuff, obviously.

Otherwise, things you got to try (coming from a French person living in the US) - cheese fries, pancakes, cheesecake, onion rings, ribs (barbecue), cornbread, pies.

Pennsylvania doesn't quite know how to do diner food. It's not quite the same.
  • Francl27
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I must not have tried the right diners in NJ then... lol.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Oh yes, lobster rolls and clam chowder in New England!

*the buttered lobster roll is way better than the one with mayo
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

I must not have tried the right diners in NJ then... lol.

Probably not.
  • cjcool88
    cjcool88 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    cjcool88 wrote: »
    If you are in So. Cal try fish tacos.

Which technically speaking are not american food, but mexican food (from Baja California)

What's your point?

That the OP is looking for American food to try.

so pizza originates from NY?

Nope

We have lots of places that serve really good fish tacos and yes they are originally from Mexico. But so what. It's hard to describe American food :)

I never said that the fish tacos sold in the US are bad (they are good) but since the OP wants "real" or "authentic" american food, then, TACOS (of any kind) are not 'American' per se. That was my point.
  • cjcool88
    Options

Which technically speaking are not american food, but mexican food (from Baja California)

What's your point?

Nope

We have lots of places that serve really good fish tacos and yes they are originally from Mexico. But so what. It's hard to describe American food :)

I never said that the fish tacos sold in the US are bad (they are good) but since the OP wants "real" or "authentic" american food, then, TACOS (of any kind) are not 'American' per se. That was my point.

CORRECTION Shell Tacos (like the ones sold at Taco Bell) are american indeed lol!....

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

What's your point?

Nope

CORRECTION Shell Tacos (like the ones sold at Taco Bell) are american indeed lol!....

And that would be a bad example of a taco, IMO
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My family eats a lot of different kinds of food.
    It varies a lot by region. Basically avoid chain restaurants. Smaller non-chain restaurants are probably good for finding regional favorites.
    If you list areas you might visit you might get specific recommendations.

Eat some steak.
    Go to a barbeque restaurant.
    Try a Reuben sandwich.
    Get a maid rite sandwich.
    Try to get a fry bread taco somewhere.
    Corn dog?

I have heard that we seem sandwich obsessed.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_sandwiches

Some states are known for particular foods.
    http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/50-state-foods.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_foods
    http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/comfort-foods-of-every-state-in-america-thrillist
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Definitely hunt down a soul food cafe.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

What's your point?

Nope

That's true. So much of what we eat is appropriated fare, lol. There isn't a whole lot that originated here. Corn, though! We got corn! :)
  • Francl27
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    My family eats a lot of different kinds of food.
    It varies a lot by region. Basically avoid chain restaurants. Smaller non-chain restaurants are probably good for finding regional favorites.
    If you list areas you might visit you might get specific recommendations.

Eat some steak.
    Go to a barbeque restaurant.
    Try a Reuben sandwich.
    Get a maid rite sandwich.
    Try to get a fry bread taco somewhere.
    Corn dog?

I have heard that we seem sandwich obsessed.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_sandwiches

Some states are known for particular foods.
    http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/50-state-foods.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_foods
    http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/comfort-foods-of-every-state-in-america-thrillist

Oh thanks for the links!

I forgot Reubens. I love Reubens. And Maryland crabcakes. Doh.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    A few more thoughts:
    Shrimp and grits
    Chicken and waffles
    Fried chicken wings
  • cjcool88
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My two cents here...What about turkey?!....this species is native to the US and Mexico, so this is for sure authentic northamerican food, add some mashed potatoes, cornbread, apple pie, BBQ and you have yourself some real american food...at least that is my point of view.

BUT! Since the United States was founded by immigrants, specially european immigrants from places such as , Germany and Italy aswell as mexican immigrants , we can see a lot of that influence in the dishes the rest of world considers American such as Hot Dogs (german schnitzels and bratwurst) the NY and Chicago Pizza (from Italy), fajitas and shell tacos (Tex Mex cuisine, from Texas when it was part of Mexico) , Meatloaf (from Belgium and Germany), American cheese (which was originally made from Chedar from the UK), etc.

So, that is why it is hard to define "authentic" american food...it can be kung pao chicken or lasagna.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you are. The best food will be regional.

Sampling the different versions of BBQ is worth doing.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It depends on the region you are going to...and really, American food is a hodge podge of all kinds of different cultural influences...
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Barbecue in Texas, Tennessee, Missouri, and the Carolinas
    Cajun/creole food in Louisiana
    Burgers and fries (or better, onion rings) from an authentic place, not McDonalds
    Craft beer everywhere
    Southwest food in, uh, the Southwest - Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, SoCal

these are good suggestions...

when I think truly authentic "American food" I pretty much think steak and potatoes....and a good burger from a real burger joint, not a fast food joint. it seems like just about anything else comes from somewhere else or was highly influenced by another culture.

This is true, but that's what American food is--our spin on other cultures that were influential in the particular region. So I wouldn't rule out tacos or the like.