Authentic American or Special American Food?

Options

Replies

• MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    A really good hamburger and fries, not McDonalds, some place that will make a good one
    Apple Pie, Blueberry Pie
    Barbecue (find a good cookout to go to)
    Hot Dogs
    homemade macaroni and cheese
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    StrengthIsBeautiful Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Waffle House.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Has the OP come back? This may be easier to answer if they tell us what region(s) they are visiting
  • jtboner
    jtboner Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    What nationality are you? Personally, I would have to try the Americans version of Chinese or Japanese food, if I was actually from there (you said Asian, so I'm guessing).

Going to add-if you're in NJ go to a diner! Get some cheese fries, a burger and top it off with pie and ice cream. Pretty American to me.

I'm a hong Kong Chinese Canadian
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    jtboner wrote: »
    slaite1 wrote: »
    What nationality are you? Personally, I would have to try the Americans version of Chinese or Japanese food, if I was actually from there (you said Asian, so I'm guessing).

Going to add-if you're in NJ go to a diner! Get some cheese fries, a burger and top it off with pie and ice cream. Pretty American to me.

I'm a hong Kong Chinese Canadian

What is your itinerary?
  • jtboner
    jtboner Posts: 59 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Has the OP come back? This may be easier to answer if they tell us what region(s) they are visiting

We go to a variety of areas, but mostly new York state. Our next trip is Chicago, after that it's off to Japan, hong Kong and Taiwan
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    _John_ wrote: »
    (puts on flame retardant clothing)

national chain restaurant do an at worst decent job of grabbing some of America's favorite dishes and aren't a "horrible" choice for getting the "stereotype" of a lot of regionally authentic dishes.

How 'bout Cracker Barrel though? I think they do a good job...

Cracker Barrel!

Oh no
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

national chain restaurant do an at worst decent job of grabbing some of America's favorite dishes and aren't a "horrible" choice for getting the "stereotype" of a lot of regionally authentic dishes.

Cracker Barrel!

Oh no

Yeah, no. Definitely not.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Since you're going to Chicago, you should check out some Italian beef sandwiches. It's my favorite thing to eat up there. Despite the name, the sandwich actually did originate in Chicago.
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    a

We go to a variety of areas, but mostly new York state. Our next trip is Chicago, after that it's off to Japan, hong Kong and Taiwan

if you are going to be in Manhattan

http://www.nycbestbar.com/stumble/

order yourself a stuffed burger with onion rings :smiley:

if you are trying to look for healthier less caloric dense food... our portions are pretty big. cut the dish in half and split it with another person OR between meals OH AND IF IT SAYS UNDER 500 CALORIES ITS A TRAP! paying extra money for half the dish >.> (cough applebees cough cough)
  • Cocoa1020
    Options

Cracker Barrel!

oh man i love this place! good thing I have to pay a toll and drive for an hour and a half before i hit one haha
  • Cocoa1020
    Options
    Waffle House.

theres non in NY :(
  • Cocoa1020
    Options

where in NY are you going to? like niagra falls? New york city?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Cracker Barrel!

Oh no

See, for me, it's a yes. When I travel to the states I look for really good restaurants and try things that I can't normally get here or that the area is known for (Chicago deep dish pizza, for example). But I also want to try places like this just because I've heard of them so much around these boards. It is kinda of "american" food because it is popular and well known.
    On my last US trip I didn't know there was a Cracker Barrell right behind the airport hotel we stayed at. I was disappointed.
    Other places like In and Out, Jack in the Box, Sonic are also on my want to try list. (I have tried In and Out).
  • arditarose
    Options

Cracker Barrel!

Oh no

See, for me, it's a yes. When I travel to the states I look for really good restaurants and try things that I can't normally get here or that the area is known for (Chicago deep dish pizza, for example). But I also want to try places like this just because I've heard of them so much around these boards. It is kinda of "american" food because it is popular and well known.
    On my last US trip I didn't know there was a Cracker Barrell right behind the airport hotel we stayed at. I was disappointed.
    Other places like In and Out, Jack in the Box, Sonic are also on my want to try list. (I have tried In and Out).

Interesting. I will never forget my Cracker Barrel meals. Two times. Never again. I see what you're saying though about easily being able to sample something typical. It's just not great quality.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'll second beef sandwiches in Chicago. It's the best thing they've got going and some of those places do it better than anywhere else. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Cracker Barrel!

Oh no

It just makes me sad because people go to places like that and then decide they are representative of American food.

There was a poster recently who stayed in NYC (from the UK, I think) and was going on about how all US portions were super gigantic and you absolutely could not get smaller, which puzzled me since I've eaten at plenty of places with less insane portions in NYC, given the diversity, and it turned out that basically the only place she'd been was, I think, Applebee's. In NYC! And it was being used as representative of what eating in NYC is like.

Made me both sad and defensive for US food and restaurants.

It's fine if people want to do the chains, then, but I'd hope they'd understand what they are, you know?
  • arditarose
    Options

Cracker Barrel!

Oh no

It just makes me sad because people go to places like that and then decide they are representative of American food.

There was a poster recently who stayed in NYC (from the UK, I think) and was going on about how all US portions were super gigantic and you absolutely could not get smaller, which puzzled me since I've eaten at plenty of places with less insane portions in NYC, given the diversity, and it turned out that basically the only place she'd been was, I think, Applebee's. In NYC! And it was being used as representative of what eating in NYC is like.

Made me both sad and defensive for US food and restaurants.

It's fine if people want to do the chains, then, but I'd hope they'd understand what they are, you know?

Ah that's so sad!
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hey, me and my family travel a lot to America but it's usually on an asian tour bus... I have yet to try some 'authentic' American food and I want to have the real deal! I hear that the food varies by state/area so feel free to list them! There's no need for the health factor either. I have heard of In N out burger but I've never tried it.
    I've also seen American food on TV in Canada, looks so good!

What a good question. I've lived in about 8 different regions of the country and had close ties to a few others. There is such thing as authentic regional American cuisine but, you have to work a little to seek it out. Before going to a specific city or rural area, research it and find out exactly where locals say you have to go to get it.

I've been in Memphis Tennessee for twenty years and I'll just make 3 suggestions for Memphis. More than anything else, we're known for barbeque. But so is Texas, South Carolina, and Kansas City. It's not all the same though. Texas is beef, maybe brisket. South Carolinians seem to brag about their sauce. I don't about Kansas City because I can't get passed their insistence on putting cinnamon in spaghetti sauce.

But in Memphis barbeque is either slow smoked pulled pork shoulder, or slabs of pork ribs, either wet or dry.
    1. Pulled pork shoulder should come from Central Barbeque. The meat should be piled on a hamburger bun with cole slaw on top of the meat, not on the side. Sweet tea or beer are the only acceptable beverages.
    2. Dry ribs have to come from The Rendezvous. You enter from an alley near Beale Street. The ribs are anything but dry. They are juicy and seriously addictive but they have a dry spice rub with sauce on the side. Have a side of beans too.
    3. Go to Corky's Barbeque for wet ribs. Wet means they're served with sauce on the ribs. It's in Memphis but not downtown and not as old school as The Rendezvous. Exactly 50% of Memphians say wet ribs are the only way to go and the only place get them is Corky's Barbeque.
    After you eat at The Rendezvous you should walk over to Beale Street for serious drinking and blues music. Beale Street is sorta like Bourbon Street in New Orleans except the entertainment part is only a few blocks long and you'll find no pretence to classy. The atmosphere is more Juke Joint than night club. After the bouncer cuts you off for being too drunk go up the street to The Blues City Cafe for another meal. Just kidding. You'll die of alcohol poisoning before you get cut off.

When you get out of jail from your Beale Street adventures ask if The Cozy Corner restaurant has been rebuilt. It recently burned down and the local chefs took up collections and held benefits to pay for the rebuild. If somebody doesn't abscond with the money it might be open again by the time you get to Memphis. This was the kind of place that you knew had to be great or else why would that many cars be in this neighborhood.

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    In Chicago you have to get a deep dish pizza!