Which is worse...

Options
rbratt06
rbratt06 Posts: 2,972 Member
Not eating enough calories in a day or eating (healthy) snacks late at night to make up for it? I ran into that scenario the other night (I was 200 calories down) and wasn't sure what to do, so I just ate an apple and some crackers with peanut butter on it.

Always looking for more friends and support! Add me!
CW: 212 lbs
GW: 145 lbs

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Timing doesn't matter at all - eat for your activity and energy levels.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    While I don't think there is any crime in going under here and over there, it would be awful to go to bed hungry with calories to spare, so I'll say "going under" is worse. There's no crime in eating late, either. :)
  • momxcore
    momxcore Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We're you hungry when you ate it? Apple and peanut butter sound super yummy ! Sometimes when I get hit with a late night craving I will spread some peanut butter on a tortilla with a banana and a small sprinkling of mini chocolate chips! It makes me feel like I'm eating some sweet dessert and fills me up. That and lots of water...
  • rbratt06
    Options
    That sounds like such a delicious snack! I will definitely have to try that out. I actually didn't feel too hungry at the time, but I didn't know how my body would react (such as go into starvation mode or something) if I didn't eat, so I tried to play it safe.
  • CherylanneCorsini
    CherylanneCorsini Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I wondered about this myself. I get so hungry around bedtime, so I try to keep hard boiled eggs or plain yogurt handy. That old wives tale about eating before bed still haunts me.
  • kaileyfry
    kaileyfry Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I eat only when I'm hungry and I always below my calorie goal.
  • rbratt06
    Options
    I should clarify that I had only eaten 800 calories that day. When I tried to submit my food diary, MFP said that I should at least eat 1,000/day. My typical goal is 1200/day and I try to stay under it.
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You need to net at least 1200 a day.
  • rbratt06
    Options
    I know. I just got so busy. :s I'm starting to plan out my meals ahead of time now so that I don't go under so badly again.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    rbratt06 wrote: »
    Not eating enough calories in a day or eating (healthy) snacks late at night to make up for it? I ran into that scenario the other night (I was 200 calories down) and wasn't sure what to do, so I just ate an apple and some crackers with peanut butter on it.

Always looking for more friends and support! Add me!
    CW: 212 lbs
    GW: 145 lbs

Being under now and then isn't a big deal, but making a habit of it can be a bad thing, because losing weight too quickly can lead to loss of lean muscle along with fat.
    As far as eating snacks, it doesn't matter what you eat, or what time you eat, as long as your macros or met and you are not exceeding your calorie goals.
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I eat before bed if my cals are low.
    I am not all that hungry but they say you should eat if your cals are under 1200 a day

I had to do that mainly on my gym days
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I should clarify that I had only eaten 800 calories that day. When I tried to submit my food diary, MFP said that I should at least eat 1,000/day. My typical goal is 1200/day and I try to stay under it.

Why would you only eat 800 calories a day? Not only is that dangerous, but you're missing out on vital nutrients.

Just a question but do you weigh your food on a food scale? If you don't then you could be eating more than you think since eyeballing & measuring cups can be off by a great amount.

You should find a way to eat that will be sustainable for life & not just in a way that will get you to your goal weight. Can you honestly see yourself eating 800 calories for the rest of your life?

I used to weigh around 300 pounds & now I hover around 160-163 & I never ate below 1,200 to lose weight with the exception of the stomach bug.

I recommend you read some of the stickies in the general discussion.
  • mccindy72
    Options

You need to enter your height/weight and a reasonable weight loss goal into MFP and your activity level (not counting exercise). You should be eating more than 1200 calories per day to lose weight, unless you are very short and small. For example, I'm 5'7" and 123 lbs, and my maintenance calories are 1800 calories at lightly active. (that's before any exercise) If I wanted to lose weight, I'd have fewer calories, but I'm pretty small already.
  • gokakyu
    gokakyu Posts: 11 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't think it matters WHEN but rather WHAT you eat? It's definitely worse to eat a lesser amount of calories than you should per day and you said that you had eaten 800 calories that day? That's a dangerously low amount but I think making up for it by eating more in the next day or so should be fine...

Sometimes I eat way lesser than I should just because I lose my appetite so I make up for it by eating more (100 cals or so) the next day...

Healthy snacks at night are perfectly fine though. I usually eat a banana and a cracker or two at around 2 AM because that's a few hours after my workouts are done :P
  • rbratt06
    Options

Why would you only eat 800 calories a day? Not only is that dangerous, but you're missing out on vital nutrients.

Just a question but do you weigh your food on a food scale? If you don't then you could be eating more than you think since eyeballing & measuring cups can be off by a great amount.

You should find a way to eat that will be sustainable for life & not just in a way that will get you to your goal weight. Can you honestly see yourself eating 800 calories for the rest of your life?

I used to weigh around 300 pounds & now I hover around 160-163 & I never ate below 1,200 to lose weight with the exception of the stomach bug.

No, I never eat that low of calories. I just had a hectic day that day and didn't eat very much because I was so busy running around doing errands. Hopefully, that was a one-time fluke! But, no I don't have a food scale. I really should invest in one, huh?
  • rbratt06
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

You need to enter your height/weight and a reasonable weight loss goal into MFP and your activity level (not counting exercise). You should be eating more than 1200 calories per day to lose weight, unless you are very short and small. For example, I'm 5'7" and 123 lbs, and my maintenance calories are 1800 calories at lightly active. (that's before any exercise) If I wanted to lose weight, I'd have fewer calories, but I'm pretty small already.

Oh, I was just doing what MFP said (at sedentary level). I'm 5'4". Should I be eating more calories/day?
  • tomatoey
    Options
    I know. I just got so busy. :s I'm starting to plan out my meals ahead of time now so that I don't go under so badly again.

If it's a planning issue, yes, a grocery list and idea about your weekly menu will help.

But, you previously said you try to stay under 1200, this answer is a bit different from that.
  • mccindy72
    Options

No, I never eat that low of calories. I just had a hectic day that day and didn't eat very much because I was so busy running around doing errands. Hopefully, that was a one-time fluke! But, no I don't have a food scale. I really should invest in one, huh?

Yep. Also, read the first post of this thread for more good advice: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    This is purely anecdotal, but I don't like eating right before bed because it seems to make my stomach crampy the next morning. Slower digestion when I'm asleep, maybe?

Or it's not connected at all. I don't know.