Swimming question

Options
I was curious if it is better for me to swim laps above the water, or below? Which will burn more calories for weight loss? I want to get the most bang for my buck! TIA

Replies

• ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Above
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    you may be overthinking this
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    you may be overthinking this

^This :)
  • tammymoberg
    tammymoberg Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I over think everything! :neutral:
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    You need to be in the water, being above it will negate the resistance. Saying that, please teach me how to swim above the water, it sounds like a neat trick!!
  • sergiosg0926
    sergiosg0926 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm a swimmer and you can start swimming above. It's recommendable that you start with 30 minutes. Maximum, 45 minutes...

I start again swimming and I burn 700 to 730 calories in training (swimming 65 minutes) . So, try it but first time is always difficult. Don't give up!

Regards.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    For a sustained workout, you need to swim above. I would think swimming under water would quickly wear one out. When I first started swimming, I could only do 1 lap and I'd have to stop and rest before doing another lap. Now I do a mile and a half to 2 miles at a stretch, suing various strokes and I've lost 70+ pounds. Just keep at it and it will work!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You really can't swim under water for very long unless you have a scuba tank, so it's kind of a moot point.

Swim "above the water" - on the surface. If you like going lower and swimming underwater for a bit now and then (I always did, when I could do that), do it! :)

But keep your regular swimming on the surface. :)
  • crazygooselady
    crazygooselady Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you want to track calories, you will need to swim above. Most trackers will do freestyle, breast, back and butterfly.