What motivates you to keep working out?

Options
I know for some of you, this question may be kind of silly. But for me, this is around... the 8th time that I'm trying to lose weight and as you can tell, motivation is something that I lack in my life.

I've tried to keep going but the maximum I've ever worked out for is 6 days in a row. So, I was just wondering, what are some ways that you guys keep yourself motivated? Do you have any personal stories you'd like to share? I'd love to read them! :)

Replies

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Being stronger, smaller, faster, feeling confident, less stressed and more healthy... The list goes on.

Not sure why you'd need to work out EVERY day. Start with once a week, then twice a week, then three times a week and see how you feel. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. That's the best way to get burnt out (believe me, I know!)

I started working out regularly about two years ago. I started lifting weights and walking mosty. That spiraled into buying a bike and cycling like crazy. That led to running and lifting heavier. One small change leads to so many others, so you never know where you'll end up! I never would have thought I'd be running 4-5 miles 4 times a week!

Oh yeah. And as far as motivation goes: don't rely on it! As pumped as I am about my workouts, sometimes I put my running shoes on and it takes me a looong time to get out the door and just do it!
  • gokakyu
    gokakyu Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Being stronger, smaller, faster, feeling confident, less stressed and more healthy... The list goes on.

Not sure why you'd need to work out EVERY day. Start with once a week, then twice a week, then three times a week and see how you feel. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. That's the best way to get burnt out (believe me, I know!)

I started working out regularly about two years ago. I started lifting weights and walking mosty. That spiraled into buying a bike and cycling like crazy. That led to running and lifting heavier. One small change leads to so many others, so you never know where you'll end up! I never would have thought I'd be running 4-5 miles 4 times a week!

Oh yeah. And as far as motivation goes: don't rely on it! As pumped as I am about my workouts, sometimes I put my running shoes on and it takes me a looong time to get out the door and just do it!

Like many others, I become severely depressed if I don't exercise every day. This coupled with the depressive episodes from my bipolar disorder equals the perfect recipe for a massive binge spree. The binge spree upsets me further and the cycle repeats until I'm blessed with a manic episode. This is why I kinda HAVE to exercise... I usually do a 45 minute high-intensity stationary bike ride before I feel satisfied.

It's amazing how you progressed beautifully through fitness! Truly inspirational :)

Thank you for your reply! I'll try my best to not burn out quickly... or even if I do, I'll try to "get back on the horse" as they say :D
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    I enjoy exercise ... sports of various sorts.

I walk as part of my commute.
    I walk at lunch.
    I cycle after work ... outside in the summer, inside in the winter.
    Or if I want to take a break from cycling, my husband and I might walk down to the beach.

And then on weekends my husband and I do any number of things including ... cycling longer distances, hiking, snowshoeing (we did that last weekend!), swimming, canoeing, attempting to use our surf skis and body boards at the beach, etc. etc. ...

My "workouts" vary ... sometime it is just my commute and a walk at lunch. Other times it's an 8-hour bicycle ride. Or anything in between ... just depends. I wouldn't want to try to commit to doing the same thing all the time ... boring!! And also a recipe for burnout.
  • gokakyu
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

I walk at lunch.
    Or if I want to take a break from cycling, my husband and I might walk down to the beach.

And then on weekends my husband and I do any number of things including ... cycling longer distances, hiking, snowshoeing (we did that last weekend!), swimming, canoeing, attempting to use our surf skis and body boards at the beach, etc. etc. ...

My "workouts" vary ... sometime it is just my commute and a walk at lunch. Other times it's an 8-hour bicycle ride. Or anything in between ... just depends. I wouldn't want to try to commit to doing the same thing all the time ... boring!! And also a recipe for burnout.

That's quite the amount of active hours you have there! 8-hour bicycle ride? :open_mouth: that's incredible!! Enjoying exercise really does help shed the weight, I'm sure!
  • Machka9
    edited July 2015
    Options
    gokakyu wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

I walk at lunch.

That's quite the amount of active hours you have there! 8-hour bicycle ride? :open_mouth: that's incredible!! Enjoying exercise really does help shed the weight, I'm sure!

I'm a long distance cyclist ... I've been doing that sort of thing for about 2 decades now, although in the last few years it had kind of died off a bit as life got in the way. I also gained a bit of weight. So now, I'm both losing weight and building up my distances again. :)

• Machka9
    Options
    It helps to have an actual goal. I have trouble "working out" just for the sake of exercise.

So part of what I do is for fun ... like when my husband and I rented a kayak for an hour.
    Part of what I do is for the challenge ... like trying to do as many hikes as possible here in Tasmania.

And part of what I do is working toward a larger goal.

One of my goals is to cycle up Mt Wellington. Lots of cyclists do it, but I am not a hill climber. For me, it's not something I can just go out and do on a whim. Therefore, I have drawn up something of a plan to build up toward the big climb.

Making a plan and having a goal gives me something to focus on ... a reason to be out there doing what I'm doing.
  • issactrigul
    issactrigul Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3. When I was growing up, after my stepfather got a gastric bypass he told me, "When you're sick and tired of being sick and tired, you'll do something about it."

I think I finally understand what he meant beyond the surface. That is keeping me going.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    RESULTS!!
    weight loss, increased strength and endurance that enablese to do everyday things I couldn't do before, less pain, etc.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    - Habit. I now feel "off" if I don't get exercise in every day.
    - Results. I look better and feel great
    - Food. I get to eat more. Sometimes a lot more.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Looking better naked.
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    The moderate exercise I'm doing is better than the high-intensity exercise I'm not doing. For me, that means alternating walking with Pilates or yoga. I see most of the people my age at the gym running, lifting, playing basketball, etc., but I just keep walking. I know what's right for me.

And as a few others have mentioned, sometimes what gets me to the gym in the first place is getting that higher calorie allowance!
  • apennock
    apennock Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Start tracking your walks on your phone to see if you can go a little bit faster or a little bit longer. Running is great for this if you can get up to that fitness- working towards a mileage or speed goal gives you more of an incentive to get out there.

If that carrot doesn't get you out there, find something you like doing more. Yoga, biking, tennis, hiking, etc. So many fun things to do in the world that are a bit more fun than slogging along on a treadmill. In my opinion, of course...
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It allows me to eat more lol. Kinda sad, but it works!
  • Frozenmango
    Frozenmango Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Like most have said above, results are a huge motivating factor; fitting into clothes again, having people notice your progress, sleeping better etc. And I've NEVER felt worse after a workout, no matter how tired I may have been before it.

As mentioned, you don't have to go kamikaze at the start and overexert yourself. Start out with smaller workouts, and build up as your strength increases. And working out doesn't have to just be the gym/weights, any kind of activity that gets your heartrate up and helps work your muscles is acceptable. That means dancing, hiking, rock climbing, cycling, boxing, martial arts, etc. If you really enjoy what you're doing its much easier to get motivated to do it.

Stay on track, hun! This is a lifestyle, not a sprint :)
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I get motivated a number of ways, and they're all selfish motives.
    1. I enjoy training
    2. I love being fit and getting noticed.
    3. Being healthy feels good

• leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest - money and accountability. I have a trainer, and he's more expensive than the gym. I pay him a month up front for workouts M/W/F. If I don't go, I don't get to make it up and the money is his (barring special circumstances - which I pre-arrange with him). It's harder for me to give up this money (vs. blowing a less expensive gym off) plus he stays in touch with me. If you can't afford a trainer, just having an accountability person who checks in on whether you worked out can be a big motivator.
  • biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    In short....

It's the ability to challenge myself to accomplish something I've never been able to achieve before.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Maintaining strength and bone.
  • gokakyu
    Options
    These responses are amazing! Never thought about the whole "money" factor :O

Having a goal also helps me keep going. Reaching that number and sometimes overachieving can feel so rewarding. I guess I'm just very impatient with my results... I'll work on that :)

• spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I do a short but intense 30-40 min workout every day, usually in the morning. Short workouts at home are much easier for me to fit into my life and I do a variety of things to keep it interesting and avoid injury. Motivation? I feel virtuous all day. :) (And can fit in a glass of wine at supper into my calorie allotment!)