Struggling to get down to 1200 cal/daily

I'm having a really hard time figuring out how to get down to 1200 a day. I normally range between 14-1600 daily. Any recommendations? Some days all I eat is 900-1000 but other days I'm hungry like crazy

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    edited July 2015
    Why do you need to get down to 1200 calories? What is your height and weight now? That's most likely unnecessary, particularly for a person of your age.
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    If you want to make a positive change with your eating habits that will last long term, you need to start slow. Set your goal to losing .5 lbs per week
  • mcburgerdevil
    mcburgerdevil Posts: 10 Member
    Why do you need to get down to 1200 calories? What is your height and weight now? That's most likely unnecessary, particularly for a person of your age.

I'm 25 5ft 6in and 220lbs. My bmr is roughly 1800 and I know at least a 300-500 cal deficit is recommended
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,030 Member
    Good news is, I'm 5'4, 196lbs and losing happily and steadily on 1500 a day! You don't subtract your deficit from your BMR, hon - that's what you need to survive in a coma. You subtract your deficit from your TDEE - what you burn per day including all the moving, living and doing you do. You shouldn't be eating below your BMR at all.

So great news - eat more! :D
  • mcburgerdevil
    mcburgerdevil Posts: 10 Member
    Good news is, I'm 5'4, 196lbs and losing happily and steadily on 1500 a day! You don't subtract your deficit from your BMR, hon - that's what you need to survive in a coma. You subtract your deficit from your TDEE - what you burn per day including all the moving, living and doing you do. You shouldn't be eating below your BMR at all.

Well I am a idiot I totally forgot about TDEE it's roughly 2100 on days I do nothing. I have been subtracting it from bmr and workouts so it would explain why some days I'm starving.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,030 Member

Well I am a idiot I totally forgot about TDEE it's roughly 2100 on days I do nothing. I have been subtracting it from bmr and workouts so it would explain why some days I'm starving.

Indeed! (not to the idot bit, just to the starving bit) :D Enjoy
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    edited July 2015

Always good to ask questions and find out you can eat more! :)
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    I find calculation TDEE is confusing to me because deciding whether you are lightly active, moderately active o whatever is so inaccture?