vegans?

Options
Are there any vegans here? I've been researching the diet and lifestyle and am considering giving it a try for a multitude of reasons. I don't know where to start. Have you lost weight on it? What about vitamin deficiencies?

Replies

• hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You can be deficient in vitamins on any diet. I am a vegetarian, pretty close to vegan and all my levels are fine. My b12 was in the high normal range. Being vegan won't make you skinny, eating a deficit will. Look into happy herbivore as a good starting place with diet and health in mind.
  • gonettie2015
    gonettie2015 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Indirectly, I came to MFP because of eating mostly vegan in the previous 2 years. I cook for people in my household that became vegan and in that time I gained 10 pounds, which was unusual for me. I thought it was my age (early 50s) but once I started logging calories I realized that our diets had become more carb-dense than they had been previously, even though we ate mostly vegetarian before vegan. Since being vegan was never my own choice, I started eating fish and some lean meats and cheeses again. I haven't drank cows milk in years. I feel better eating mostly -but not always- vegetarian. I realize that it is possible to eat vegan and not have carb dense meals. The others that are eating that way are thin and do not seem to gain weight from occasional carb dense meals. I feel better without them. Since March, I've lost those 10 pounds and 12 more. I really think my body likes a lower carb diet. I don't mean to demonize carbs, I eat plenty of them... I just go much easier on bread and pasta, etc than before.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    All of the vegans I know are chubs. I'm a vegetarian, and they do what I do. Eat everything you can find that never had a face
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    You can go vegan for whatever reasons, I'm not going to dictate what you should do.

Just remember that going vegan doesn't make you lose weight, it boils down to a caloric deficit... not what sort of foods you consume.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Yeah, going veg'n is usually for ethical reasons.
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    beer is vegan
  • gonettie2015
    gonettie2015 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    wine is vegan too!
  • bluecheesesticks
    bluecheesesticks Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Vegan over here! Love it and feel great! Lost about 30 lbs, but it boils down to counting calories.