Should I stop walking?

Options
When I began my weight loss journey a few months ago I HATED exercising. So I walked and walked and walked, everywhere. It worked for a while and I lost 16 lbs, but then my weight loss just stopped for two weeks. I realized that walking wasn't getting my heart rate up (I have a HRM), so I've switched to doing an exercise dvd (Biggest Lose Last Chance Workout), it's pretty challenging for I me and I've started losing again.

Here's my problem: I love to walk everywhere still. I take 3-4 mile walks every other day. I'm worried I'd plateau again if I eat exercise calories back from the walks, but not logging the exercise calories and eating them is leaving me super hungry.

Should I stop walking so much and focus on my dvd or will my body adjust to the new routine?

Replies

• aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    How about upping the speed of your walking, to either race walking or slow jogging? Just don't stop moving... you're doing GREAT!! The video workouts might help you start strength training a bit.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Don't stop walking!!! It's the best and most relaxing form of exercise!!! Just listen to your body, make sure you do that more intense stuff to get your heart rate up, but don't stop walking!!!

I like to go on walks on the days I don't run, sometimes even then!!! Summer is my favorite time of year, so I'm gearing up for lots of long walks... yay!!!
  • AngieMMc
    AngieMMc Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Just like with anything else your body wil eventually become used to walking and it will no longer really help you mcuh in your weight loss efforts. WIth that said, since you love to walk, can you increase your pace or maybe even jog a bit then walk a bit interchangably?? Changing up your work out routine is one of the keys to losing weight so while walking is good....you need to get that heart rate up and change up the strength training to continue to see results. This is just what has worked for me. I am sure everyone is different. Hope this helps a little
  • rockthehourglass
    rockthehourglass Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Don't stop walking! It's a wonderful physical activity that you can keep up with for the rest of your life, especially if you love it! I'm loving it too. I have added the 30 Day Shred to my routine as well, and I'll switch it up with other DVDs in the future, but I'll keep walking for variety and stress relief.
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Keep walking! It's super good for you, you love it, so why not? it's not an either/or situation. Try jogging for a minute every few minutes. or do the Couch to 5K program (google it, it's online for free). all exercise is good and the more you get it the better. Being outside and taking long walks will make you feel good emotionally and mentally as well, especially with summer coming on. This is a win/win situation.
  • Ajaay
    Ajaay Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I would go ahead and eat back the exercise calories if you are still hungry. You might want to eat more fiber (I haven't looked at your food diary, so I don't know where you are on that) to stay full. But I would def not advise giving up an exercise that you enjoy.
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    How about upping the speed of your walking, to either race walking or slow jogging? Just don't stop moving... you're doing GREAT!! The video workouts might help you start strength training a bit.

I've been considering it, but I have really flat feet. I'm going to talk to my podiatrist about it at my next appointment, because I really want to run at some point.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    if you like it you'll be more likely to stay with it. can you vary it somehow. Walk up more hills and inclines to make it more challenging? or vary it. One day go walking and other days do the DVD? Another thought, it may not get your heart race up, but walking keeps you limber so there is some health benefit from it.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I'd keep walking since you enjoy it, but maybe try some new routes to walk...vary your speed if you can (after you check in with the podiatrist about the foot issue) and maybe add some light ankle or hand weights :)

I started jogging and doing other cardio activities and strength training back in February but still walk 4-5 days a week for 30 minutes with a coworker...we really enjoy it! Don't give something you like, just shake it up.
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    michelle_mareshfuehrer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    What if you add some ankle weights or wrist weights, just to get a little extra challenge going to up your heart rate?
  • BerniceB
    BerniceB Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Keep walking. It is helps make you fit. it is good for your health. And it does burn calories.
    Just add the other exercises. When you reach goal you can reduce the other exercises. I eat 1/2 of my exercise calories. but if I really want something I eat it - as long as I am within the total calorie limit. If you love to walk, do it. Good luck.
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the encouragement. My doctor's appointment is Thursday, really hoping he'll have some answers, if not I might just treat myself to long walks on my rest day and keep my walks during the week short.
  • bex879165
    bex879165 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I walk and love it too! I walk at a brisk 3.5 to 4 mph usually and find it gets my heart going quite well but if it's not feeling that effective I add some hills in and trust me we have some good hills where we live!! :-)
  • fittraier
    fittraier Posts: 138
    Options
    If you like it keep doing it. Maybe do as others suggested change speed, terrain. If you are plateauing (sp?) add some strength traning. you can do this on your walk. Stop at a park or find places along your way, do some push ups on a bench, tricep dips, add some walking lunges, calf raises, etc.