When is the best time to eat carbs?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lola142012
    Lola142012 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    If they are good quality carbs (fruit veg, wholegrain, and not just junk or white bread) and in a good balance with fats and protein, it doens't matter when you eat them. Carbs are for energy which is why people say around your work out times but if you were entering a big race or sporting event, you'd want to load your carbs the night before so that your muscles are full of glycogen. But for us who are trying to lose weight, unless you are doing a lot of exercise, you do not need to load up so much. You want to make sure that you are going to have low carb levels overnight when its easier to lose weight in your sleep. I do this by going to bed just a little bit hungry. But during the day, i want to make sure i can get from one meal to the next without starving.

:)
  • NicoleK31
    NicoleK31 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    s2mikey wrote: »
    IMO - and this isnt based on science: I have my biggest carb intake in the morning. I eat pancakes almost every day for breakfast. Then, as the day goes on, I reduce the carb intake. My total carb intake is around 200g-225g. Im active and this works for me. In my own experience, cutting carbs too much does NOT work and is detrimental to your overall weight loss goals and health.

I do weights 3 times a week and some form of rigorous cardio 2-3 times a week as well. I NEED the carbs for energy!

Short answer? Carb it up earlier in the day. Thats my take on it.

totally agree! Have the bulk of your carbs early in the day so they can power you through and aren't sitting in your stomach come evening time.

• soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    All of the time
  • sandiegomommy
    sandiegomommy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I try and eat any carbs prior to noon, nothing after 6pm. Unless starving for some reason, I stick to a protein.
  • Love2Rappel
    Love2Rappel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Why deprive yourself of one of the essentials? Like the lady above, @soccerkon26 I fuel up when my body tells me... I don't carb load, but I do start every day with a dose of complex carbs... and keep at it through the day. Instead of focusing on carbs, just eat clean.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    All of the time

So much of this... overall, timing of nutrient is pretty irrelevant to weight loss. In some recent studies I have seen, it would be suggested to have some carbs and protein around 2 hours before and/or after a workout to help maximize protein synthesis.

So eat them whenever you feel like it. I eat them throughout the whole day.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    For function, before or during a long duration workout. Other than that, whenever you the meal you wish to eat happens to be high in carbs - timing doesn't matter much.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    If they are good quality carbs (fruit veg, wholegrain, and not just junk or white bread) and in a good balance with fats and protein, it doens't matter when you eat them. Carbs are for energy which is why people say around your work out times but if you were entering a big race or sporting event, you'd want to load your carbs the night before so that your muscles are full of glycogen. But for us who are trying to lose weight, unless you are doing a lot of exercise, you do not need to load up so much. You want to make sure that you are going to have low carb levels overnight when its easier to lose weight in your sleep. I do this by going to bed just a little bit hungry. But during the day, i want to make sure i can get from one meal to the next without starving.
    The 2 bolded sentences make no sense.

OP, eat your carbs in a manner that allows you the best ADHERENCE (the most important factor) to reach your goals. At the same time, monitor you calorie intake and be sure you are consuming adequate protein (.8 - 1.6 grams per kg of total bodyweight), adequate fat (.45 grams per lb of total bodyweight and get plenty of exercise. IMO, one should strive to exercise every day (with varied intensities) but that is up for debate and many think it's not absolutely necessary.

The rest is just majoring in the minor...
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    All times is carb times! I seriously don't think it matters in the least, because calories are calories.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Fitness buffs spend a lot time deciding what time to eat this or that. With the exception of endurance athletes who may really need something (especially sugars), I honestly don't think it makes any difference and certainly not enough to matter.

Eat your carbs when you feel like it.

For whatever it is worth, I eat a very high-carb diet and have gone from Class II Obese to a Normal BMI. I have a thyroid condition working against me and menopause working against me and I've still lost the weight while eating a very high-carb diet.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If one has type 2 diabetes, it is often helpful to eat fewer carbs in the morning to help deal with IR issues, and to pair the carb with proteins and fats.

I personally find that eating my carbs later in the day works best for me.