Natural Ways to Help Detox the Body After Mirena

Options
Now, before you start jumping down my throat about there is no such thing as a detox, I'm not asking for dieting purposes. I am not asking about pills or drinks made of lemons and syrup. I am asking for natural food/drink ways to help the body release toxins and regain a sensible hormone balance.

I am having my Mirena removed after 10 years (second one) because of the awful side effects. Of all of the posts and articles I have read, Mirena does some pretty nasty things to the body with respect to hormone levels and possible toxins (like silicone) being released into the blood stream. I also found that the body tries to regulate itself after it is taken out and for some it lasts only a few days and others it lasts a few weeks or a few months. They call it the "Mirena Crash": anxiety, nausea, spotting OR heavy bleeding OR no period at all, headache/migraine, depression, fatigue, and mood swings.

So with all of that said, what are some natural ways I can help to ease those things if/when they occur and help guide my body back to some sort of normalcy?

Replies

• caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Wow. Sorry to hear about your Mirena issues. I've had mine for a year and no side effects.

My suggestion, based on no information other than my gut feeling, is just try to eat foods that are highly nutrient-dense. Keep your sugars/carbs in check, and try to get them mostly from veggies. Try 30 days of eating the highest quality produce and meats/eggs/fish that you can find and afford.

A good book to read is It Starts With Food. It discusses which foods cause many people problems and why, and good alternatives. It also covers which food additives to avoid and why.

Basically, I guess I'm saying to eat as "clean" as you can for 30 days. This will help your hormones normalize. For women with PCOS, a low carb diet is often successful because of the positive effect on hormone regulation. I know that's not you, so you may not need super low carb, but an overall reduction of foods with added refined sugars might be worth it.

Good luck!
  • ephemerata
    ephemerata Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Agh, forgive me, but I'm a TMI queen -- hormonal irregularities/rebalancing can do a number on your body; I always have trouble with regularity. I agree with eating incredibly nutrient-dense foods, especially ones that are easy to digest. I love smoothies, so what about smoothies with baby spinach (fresh or frozen), some greek yogurt or kefir, blueberries, raspberries, etc.?
  • road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Agh, forgive me, but I'm a TMI queen -- hormonal irregularities/rebalancing can do a number on your body; I always have trouble with regularity. I agree with eating incredibly nutrient-dense foods, especially ones that are easy to digest. I love smoothies, so what about smoothies with baby spinach (fresh or frozen), some greek yogurt or kefir, blueberries, raspberries, etc.?

Yes, I looked up some stuff last night and found some juicing/smoothie recipes that I may try, but I am going to stay away from dairy for quite a while.
  • road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear you're going through this too!! I had my Mirena removed last June after 10 years also. I posted my story on another thread, and won't rewrite everything as there are so many symptoms, but the worst for me were chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia pain in joints and tendons, brain fogginess, vision loss in one eye, anxiety/anger, extreme weight gain (50+ lbs in 4 years, regardless of how healthy I was eating or how much exercise I was doing). For the first few months I continued to clean up my diet, eating mostly organic produce,a little fish and lean chicken, avoided coffee, alcohol, red meat, and (most) sugar, and drank lots of water. None of my symptoms were improving, and I was still maintaining the weight. It took a couple of months to confirm that I did have silicone poisoning, which changed the whole detox issue for me. I started working with a holistic chiropractor and nutritionist. My chiro recommended a product line called Standard Process. It's a whole foods based supplement line and I recommend them 100% to anyone dealing with toxicity. You have to buy them through an authorized medical professional. I used the 21 Day Purification program. It's definitely more expensive than other basic cleanse programs out there (using supplements, shakes & whole foods) but I believe it is superior quality, nutrient dense, no chemicals or additives, and works to reset the body systems that are typically impaired by Mirena. This detox was the kickstart I needed to start healing, and I still use the supplements for my regular daily vitamins. After I did the cleanse, I continue to take my supplements, have weekly massage appts (helps with lymphatic detoxification), drink LOTS of water, get a full night's sleep, try to limit coffee and alcohol (I love wine & Starbucks, but when I have them I feel the anxiety come back), try to exercise daily, try to spend 15-20 minutes in far-infrared sauna a couple times a week (amazing detox benefits if you have access to one). Other things that help me are juicing (greens, beets, lemon & ginger), and I changed most of my household cleaning & laundry products to natural versions without the chemicals or fragrances. I'm not as diligent now as I used to be about all of the above, but for the first 6 months it was my entire world. My silicone levels are nearly indetectable now, and I feel sooo much better.

If you haven't heard of him already, I also highly recommend you check out the online videos made by Dr. Jennings that explain what the Mirena does to your body, and how you should detox to reduce the damage it causes. The website is www.drjnutrition.com This doctor has made amazing progress in helping explain what silicone poisoning is and how to recover. He is available for phone consultations and can order the Standard Process products if you don't have someone nearby to work with. As a disclaimer, Dr. Jennings is NOT my doctor (he's in Kansas, I'm in California), but I did call and speak with him on the phone to get a lot of info. He also spoke with my chiropractor to share what he'd learned about the Mirena. The woman/patient that he speaks about helping in his videos is a dear friend of mine, and I truely believe this man is a God-send to those of us who are dealing with the horrors this crappy IUD causes. I hope you start feeling better soon!! I know how scary this can be, but getting the Mirena removed is the first step, so you're definitely on your way <3

Thanks a ton! I'm going to check him out right now.
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm on my third Mirena (the second one was not placed properly, so it had to be removed). I haven't experienced these issues, but I'm glad I found this thread, so I can look out for things when my current one comes out.
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything truly to add except that I hope you find the answers you need. Mirena is the devil IMO. I had it removed after only three months because it threw my body all out of whack. I hope you find exactly what you need for your body to return to its normal state of health and well being. Good luck!
  • Alisa_d7
    Alisa_d7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was just wondering, after just 3 months of having it in, how long did it take for you to feel normal after you had it out?
  • mis2stin2et2
    Options
    I was wondering how are you that you have had your mirena removed for some time. I go next week to have mines removed and I'm a little afraid But I guess that is the anxiety that I have been experiencing since I got the mirena 3yrs ago.
  • Paiger81
    Paiger81 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to chime in here - first two years, I sung Mirena's praises; around year 3 (2012) I started losing my hair, getting horrible acne and developed a B-12 anemia. In 2013, I was diagnosed with intercystal cystitis (essentially I was getting infections but they couldn't figure out why), anxiety and was feeling horrible. I repeatedly asked my obgyn if Mirena had anything to do with it and was repeatedly told no. I ended up going to an endocrinologist at the beginning of 2014 and after several weeks of tests, it was determined I had severely low Vitamin D levels and elevated testosterone levels. After looking at all of my issues, the very first thing this doc said was "I'm pretty sure it's your Mirena." So I had it removed 2 weeks ago.

I bled for 7 days straight. Post Removal Day 5, I woke up with the "Mirena Crash" I was literally so paranoid that something bad was going to happen, felt completely wackadoodle, crying for absolutely no reason, had zero energy and could not sleep. On Day 6, I woke in the middle of the night and had serious suicidal-type thoughts, that I KNEW was NOT me. I ended up waking up my fiance and he basically kept me distracted until I fell asleep. The next morning, I started eating as clean as I possible could. I drank so much water, hoping I could just flush out the toxins and started a liver detox I got from Whole Foods.

Two days after that (so 10 days after removal) I FINALLY started to feel like myself again. I still have a lingering headache and Tylenol/Ibuprofen doesn't seem to help it, but I feel happy, positive and haven't had any of the depressed thoughts that I did last week. So I think I'm on the up-swing.
  • Kymlee22
    Kymlee22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies, I'm going to have mine removed after almost 5 years later, 30+ lbs of weight gain, frequent headaches, brain fogginess, no sex drive and many other side effects. I'm telling you, I'd rather be holding a beautiful baby than having to deal with this. I'm going to detox as soon as I get it removed. My friend gave me this link http://mirenadetox.com/mirenadetox/ so I think I'll try it.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I love "Detox" by Sara Rose.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    If anyone who needs to detox from Mirena and rebalance their hormones is still looking at this, I have a couple of herbs to recommend-- Vitex or Chaste Berry and Dong Quai (Chinese Angelica). They are both women's health/hormone balancing herbs that have been used for hundreds-- probably thousands-- of years. I used them for a few months while recovering from lingering highly unpleasant effects from birth control pills and I felt a lot more in balance while on them and somewhat more now that I've stopped.

If you look into going to a naturopathic doctor or herbalist it is likely that they would recommend these herbs. They're worth researching if you're not sure. :)
  • catmom31
    catmom31 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello to everyone suffering through the Mirena crash.
    I, too, had a severe crash about a month after having my Mirena removed.
    Please consider trying an enzyme supplement with GABA and L-Theanine.
    My naturopathic doctor gave me this supplement, along with prozac.
    This worked the first day! I was so full of anger and irritation, I could barley speak to my FI, for fear of arguing with him.
    The first day I took this supplement, I came home and chatted with my FI for the first time in months.
    It really has calmed my irritation, and anxiety.
    Do your research, and give it a try.
  • galooshka28
    galooshka28 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i had my mirena removed 4 month ago and i still have the side effcts from it: 30 lbs weight gain,tiredness,lactating breasts and spots. A week ago i started taking multivitamins, evening primrose oil and chaste berry herbal supplements. I noticed an instant improvement with my energy levels and i am no longer feel tired.
  • passion3flower
    passion3flower Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There's a very informative site with lots of information on how to lose weight and get rid of the mirena iud side effects and find other natural birth control options. Check out: http://mirenadetox.com/mirena-weight-gain/ Her detox has also been immensely helpful to my recovery and I seriously recommend it
  • WhimyMe
    WhimyMe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. Looking for a Detonx and Homone Balancing diet.
    I had my Mirena for two years. I didn't think much of it at first. Lots of cramps. Not periods really. But...man oh man
    I thought I was pregnant all the time. My breast hurt continuously. I went from a 34D to a 34DDD :/ random cramps and I wary pain ,upper body got thick belly.
    Sore breast like 3 weeks a month. I was moody and not myself. I wanted my life back. So it's out.

Now I want to flush it all out.
    Anyone done any detoxes or have suggestions?
    I eat very heal thing. Drinking a green juices, chlorella- super Amazing Grass blend. Colin Detox. Vitamins.
    But winning what else I could do or if anyone had cuffed stories.

I just want my bras to fit again. And my pants.

Help. I want my
    Life back!
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    You've gotten lots of suggestions here, but I would highly recommend that before starting any kind of supplement, etc. you go to your doctor and have a blood draw done. They can tell you what your potential deficiencies are and where the problem lies rather than spending money or taking things you don't need. Trial and error method can take a lot of time and make things worse.

Good luck!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    OP asked this question over 2 years ago - if she hasn't de toxed this out of her system by now, she is never going to :);)
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Bahhhhh. Zombie thread.
  • WhimyMe
    WhimyMe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    No...I just asked yesterday...
    I don't have insurance. I don't take a lot of modern medicine.
    I was asking me for the people who have done this not for people to tell me to go to a doctor.
    I'm currently don't have insurance.
    I'm doing

Raw Food Diet 90% of diet +fish protein

I take Amazing Grass super Green everyday (always have it have great benefits and green vitamins no matter what you are doing. )

Apple cider vinegar with lemon juice twice a day.

I don't need my blood drawn to tell me
    My hormones are crazy.