No exercise

Options
kaeganc
kaeganc Posts: 11 Member
I'm not exactly new to MFP, but find myself in need of friends. I'm unable to exercise due to a leg injury for at least the next month. (It's been 4 months already).No wonder I've gained weight!

My goal is to lose almost 30lbs. Anyone who wants to join me, please friend me. Any food tips and encouragement are welcome. I've never had to lose weight without exercise before.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Consider talking to your doctor or physical therapist about what kind of exercise you CAN do. Or meet with a personal trainer, tell him/her the limitations the doc has given you (ex: no weight bearing on left leg) and ask for a plan. I've had 3 fitness buddies with some pretty serious injuries in the past year, but they all found ways to keep working out despite their injuries and without compromising the healing process. There are ways to adapt or substitute nearly any exercise.
  • BethMilledge
    BethMilledge Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me
  • _Lora_
    _Lora_ Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat, due to an illness, I've had to continue the weight loss journey without much exercise. Feel free to add me!
  • nknjansen
    nknjansen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Exercise is important for yur health for sure, but the most important aspect of weight loss is maintaining a calorie deficit.

Think about it this way, you have to work quite hard to burn 300 calories 3x per week though exercise, but it's fairly simple to alter your diet to remove 130 calories below your TDEE each day.

So, don't be discouraged. You can totally do this if you are mindful and own up to your choices.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You can still do upper body exercises.There are plenty of workouts for wheelchair bound people or those with foot injuries. In conjynction with your Dr then at soem stage you are likely to be able to do light exercise such as swimming or maybe walking. Otherwise its just straight deficit control and a bit of patience, wont be long now. Maybe you cna spend soem time formulating your new workout plan.
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    you can still lose weight without exercising. make sure what you tell MFP as far as how active you are is at sedentary and then make sure you stay under your calories. you can still lose because as they say - it's 90% diet, 10% exercising
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    kaeganc wrote: »
    I'm not exactly new to MFP, but find myself in need of friends. I'm unable to exercise due to a leg injury for at least the next month. (It's been 4 months already).No wonder I've gained weight!

My goal is to lose almost 30lbs. Anyone who wants to join me, please friend me. Any food tips and encouragement are welcome. I've never had to lose weight without exercise before.
    I had a severe leg break and swam with a float, because that's all I could do for cardio while my injury healed.
    I was still able to perform light strength training sitting, so don't just rule out exercise.
    Good luck to you whatever you decide <3

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    My journey since 2014 was without exercise as a regular thing. I stopped and started a few times quite a way in and now i'm doing a little bit each day - walking with short sprints on the beach. Anyway when i started exercise was deliberately not part of the plan because in the past, i'd always done lots of exercise and then stop some time after i'd lost all the weight and then when i stopped i'd fairly soon pile it all back on again. So this time i just knew I couldn't rely on exercise. I just did it with my diet and its fine and wonderful. When you get slimmer, exericse becomes more important because your daily calories are low and you'll want to eat more. If you want to get really skinny then a fair amount of exericise - at least an hour a day is essential to maintain yourself at your lowest healthy weight.

So have no fear or worries, you can lose 30 pounds without exercise. What you do is set your daily calories to lose one pound a week. And eat strictly to that. If you aim to lose one pound a week, you will be eating enough to make you feel good, so long as you:

a), eat nutritious food and not processed foods and junk foods. why? because these foods fill you up and take longer to digest than junk food.
    b) keep yourself stress free and in a happy head space. If stress continues for a few days you are likely to succumb to comfort eating and potentially binging so find other ways to deal with stress, disappointments and other sorts of emotional upset.
    c) avoid snacking, meals are better.

If you don't know what to cook, just buy a bunch of healthy stuff and then look for recipes to match what you've got. Ensure you have all the cooking basics available in your kitchen so that you don't have to run out and get extra stuff. Or pick a recipe before and then go shopping for what you need.

You could also try this:
    End all meals with a fruit course.
    Start lunch and dinner with a small salad.
  • kaeganc
    kaeganc Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your support and knowledgeable comments. I'll be talking to my doctor this week about some approved exercises and keeping a tighter deficit. :)
  • ritaehime
    ritaehime Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me too! It's good to have mfp friends here with different struggles and aspects of trying to loose weight. Not sure I can give you any solid advice but I am more than happy to spur you on!:-)