65 lbs to go! Can I do it?

Options
hi there, I'm Brit and struggling!
After my second child I am left at 202lbs which is very high for me (I'm 5.5). It's been a year and I've only lost 23lbs......I'm at a point not sure even where to start, advice?

Replies

• mom24uk
    mom24uk Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi

Yes! I'm a brit. I'm 46 and I have 4 kids (youngest just turned 5). I'm 5'5 and started at 202lbs in June. I'm now 188.

Last year I started at 209 and got down to 168 by counting calories and moving more but my depression kicked in and I lost my focus. Back at it now though - got to keep trying!

Plenty of threads on here for advice. Look up your TDEE and eat below it :) Sedentary, mine is around 1800. I try to eat around 1600. Add me if you want to see what I've been eating.
  • KisaraKaiba
    KisaraKaiba Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The good news is this: You absolutely CAN do it! Whether you CHOOSE to do it is entirely up to you.

23lbs is still progress, and you should applaud yourself for that. With a concentrated effort, you'll be able to get where you want to be. Like mom24uk said, calculate what your TDEE is (plenty of threads on here) and consume calories below that number. Do you have a food scale? Buy one. They are inexpensive and really help you avoid "guessing" how much you are eating.
  • JanelleG0122
    JanelleG0122 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Tracking with a food scale is the number one way to lose weight. Losing weight is all about calories in verse calories out. That's the best advice anyone can give you.
  • KeepGood
    KeepGood Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Of course you can do it, it's just a matter of some time and a bit of research into all this calorie stuff. I would recommend eating as you normally do for a week and log EVERYTHING with the myfitnesspal app. That will give an accurate list of what your diet is really like. I don't mean 'diet' as in a weight loss program, I mean 'diet' as in generally what you eat. While doing that, take a bit of time and read through posts on this forum. It can be difficult to find your starting point but it will all become more familiar to you the more you read about it.

Like mom24uk said, you need to know your TDEE, that is your 'Total Daily Energy Expenditure' or how many calories it takes to fuel your body for a day. Search google for a 'calorie calculator' and use one to find out what your TDEE is. Once you have logged your food for a week you'll be able to see how many calories you consumed each day and how that number compares to you TDEE. So if you find your TDEE is 1900 and you consume roughly 1850 calories a day, you will lose weight but it will be slow going, but that's okay, you will still get there. :smile:

The trick after that is going to be finding food/meals/snacks that keep your calories down. There are a lot of helpful people here that can give you suggestions. Ask questions, people will help. The better you get at getting that calorie count down, the quicker you'll reach your goal. :smile:

You can always make things go a bit quicker by adding some exercise into the mix. Some exercises are better than other for burning up those calories but when it comes to the exercise bit, choose something that you enjoy. It should be fun, not feel like work. :smiley:

Don't see your 65lb goal as an unachievable nightmare of a thing to reach, you will get there.

First of all, take a breath and tell yourself 'I'm going to do this, lets figure it out' :wink:

@mom24uk Sorry I kinda repeated what you said in there, it was just how it was flowing out of my head lol

Apologies for any typos, this is a slightly alcohol fuelled post :smile: