Thoughts on TRX system

Options
Has anybody used this for any length of time? What are your thoughts?? I currently do Insanity Max30 and run several times a week, will this be a good addition?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of gymnastics rings, so not quite the same as a TRX system, but I can do many of the same movements.

IMO, suspension training is a great option, especially for people who don't have the time/space/interest for a full free weight setup. I would certainly recommend it if it fits within your goals.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I used to mock suspension trainers.... Until I tried them. I immediately fell in love with them. My trx circuits are some of the hardest workouts I do and I never worked my abs harder
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    my son's Physical Therapist (elbow) and pitching coach uses the TRX a lot. My son loves 'em although also likes some lifting as well. I can see the muscle gains he has made with the TRX use since his post surgery atrophy. The other nice thing is they are portable. You can throw one in the suitcase and just use it on a door just about anywhere. We decided to get one for the PT off days and when we are travelling. However, the TRX is really expensive - like 200 bones. I eneded up getting a WOSS AttacK trainer from Amazon - only 40 bones and is the same thing. Before I found that one, I looked into making one and figure I could have done it for under 50 but wasn't sure if wife's sewing machine would handle the heavy material and thread. I don't know the first thing about stitching anything. I was pleased to find the WOSS. My son uses it eveyr other day and loves it.
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    GREAT info everybody! This is exactly what i was thinking of...using them during the day in the office when I cant get out for a run in the morning. Much appreciated!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I don't use it as much as I should but when I do, hooooweeee it burns!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    My wife swears by it and I just attended my first session a few weeks back. Definitely one of the toughest, best bangs for the buck workouts out there. Never looked into a home system, but we have a large multi-station at our gym.
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I LOVE TRX! I have taken classes in 10 week rotations, and they are the best workouts I have ever done, especially since she worked cardio into our sets. You can make them as easy or as difficult as you feel like each time you use them, and there are a lot of different exercises for upper, middle, and lower body. I see my best muscle building when I take these classes, we are considering buying a knock-off for home use. The $200 price tag is too rich for our blood. :-)
  • toxiclight
    toxiclight Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The trainer at our gym recommended TRX when we were looking to incorporate upper body strength work. I absolutely love it, and I've been doing it regularly now for a couple weeks. I may have to look into the at-home system.
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I love TRX, I work with a trainer twice a week and we TRX is part of my sessions.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I suppose they work well for bodyweight exercise in the same way Calisthenics does. A good routine will probably also have cardio benefits. Great for functional exercise and core strength.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    I used to mock suspension trainers.... Until I tried them. I immediately fell in love with them. My trx circuits are some of the hardest workouts I do and I never worked my abs harder

Yep, it's so much harder than it initially seems and it's easy to adjust the level of difficulty/intensity. I've been training with them for a few years and love it. I find the TRX great for core, arms (especially triceps) and doing single leg work like split squats. I find it's complemented my lifting and yoga practice too - it recruits a lot of stabilizing muscles and is great for balance.
  • McMomma02
    McMomma02 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    TRX is worth every penny even if brand new it's $200! I have a bad knee and love <3 how I can modify the intensity on a bad day and kill it on a good day! Best kept secret out there, wish I had known and found this gem 10 years ago! I'll be keeping mine for life!
  • Tamlyngo
    Tamlyngo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Love my TRX! Installed it in my home gym two years ago. I reccomend the app that has workouts you can follow for maximum benefit. It works your core like crazy!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    IMO, for an at home cost effective piece of equipment, suspension training is VERY MUCH worth it. One doesn't have to buy a TRX. I spent $30 on WOSS (I do outdoor bootcamps once a week) and they work just fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    I suppose they work well for bodyweight exercise in the same way Calisthenics does. A good routine will probably also have cardio benefits. Great for functional exercise and core strength.
    A pistol squat can't be performed by the majority of skilled people in strength training. What I like about suspension training is that with body weight, foot position, how much one leans, etc. has effect on the exercise being performed. And also that it's adaptable to just about anyone when it comes to resistance. Personally I believe that every type of approach to exercise has it's pros and cons, but I like the pros to this one more.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png