Can I loose 15kg in 10 months?

Options
Hey guys,
I'm just starting out trying to loose weight seriously after years of considering it and not getting started, so I'm looking for any tips or advice ye might have!
I'm a 21 year old girl, 5 foot 4 and I weigh 63kg. I have quite a lot of muscle from martial arts so I don't look very overweight but I'm worried about my health.
My goal is to loose 15kg(ish) making me 50kg by the end of May 2016, but I'm really not sure how to go about it. I walk 5 days a week for 40minutes at high intensity and I train with martial arts twice a week for 90 minutes.
My diet is the real problem though, on average I think I am probably eating 2000 calories or more, daily and I have real trouble cutting down.
So any advice ye can have would be really appreciated!

Thanks a million!

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    You're already in the normal range for your height. 50kg would put you very close to being underweight.

You lose weight by being in a caloric deficit, so you can eat less, move more, or do a combination.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    You definitely could. I lost about 20 lbs (9.1 kg from 70.5 kg to 61.4 kg at 5' 6")) in about 3 months so if you keep at it diligently, your goal is more than reasonable (assuming 48 or 50 kg is a healthy weight at 5' 4"). And since you have 10 months, you could make it a little more enjoyable (no drastic cuts).

However... to do it... you will have to count calories. Exercise won't help you too much other than to make it a bit easier to stick to your eating goal... you'll need to cut your calories for eating. Try focusing on eating proteins, fats, and fibre (they make you feel fuller than some other foods). Eating lots of veggies gives you lots of food volume which is nice too. Allow a treat once in a while. But make sure to weigh, measure and include everything in your food diary.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    what's your BF%? If you have a lot of muscle, I'd hate for you to do anything to lose it just because of a silly BMI chart. They're not the best indication of health for muscular people.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    what's your BF%? If you have a lot of muscle, I'd hate for you to do anything to lose it just because of a silly BMI chart. They're not the best indication of health for muscular people.

Muscular people know that I would hope.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    philip_3 wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I'm just starting out trying to loose weight seriously after years of considering it and not getting started, so I'm looking for any tips or advice ye might have!
    I'm a 21 year old girl, 5 foot 4 and I weigh 63kg. I have quite a lot of muscle from martial arts so I don't look very overweight but I'm worried about my health.
    My goal is to loose 15kg(ish) making me 50kg by the end of May 2016, but I'm really not sure how to go about it. I walk 5 days a week for 40minutes at high intensity and I train with martial arts twice a week for 90 minutes.
    My diet is the real problem though, on average I think I am probably eating 2000 calories or more, daily and I have real trouble cutting down.
    So any advice ye can have would be really appreciated!

Thanks a million!

If you are exercising and have muscle, then take it slow. Set a goal of e.g. losing 5-6 kilos the next year. See how it goes, if you can still fuel your workouts, and reevaluate when you get to this goal.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Yes you can, but expect some slowdowns as you get closer to target which will put you at the lower end of the normal range.

Enter your details to get the calorie figure then weigh and log all your food.
    It seems like you do plenty of cardio work, so id supplement that with some resistance/ lifting which will help you keep a better shape and retain muscle. Ask on the exercise section about lifing programs.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I have the same stats as you, only I'm a lot older. If I lost over 30 pounds I would be burning off most of my LBM, making me look skeletal AND putting my health at risk. If your health really is your concern, then please forget about the number on the scale. For people with actual muscle, the scale isn't necessarily the best indicator.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are already quite healthy. If you are actually concerned about health, you would need to stay at your current weight considering that you have quite a bit of muscle. If you truly want to cut down, then you would need to cut your calories at the risk of losing some of your muscle. I say stay at your current weight and activity. You already have admitted that you don't look overweight and that is because you're not. You are at a healthy weight, so why put yourself through any misery (when you say that you can't cut your calories)? I vote to remain at the status quo.
  • philip_3
    philip_3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks a million for all the responses guys! I appreciate all the tips, especially the eating suggestions.
    I should have probably been clearer when I said I don't look overweight, what I meant was, I look quite chubby, just not significantly so. I gain a lot of my weight on the chest and "love handles" so it's harder for me to see how much I'm carrying, but I look quite disproportionate so the weight loss would be as much for my self confidence as for my health. As well as that, I feel quite sluggish and ill a lot and I'm hoping that switching up my eating and getting fitter will fix that too!
  • mrsf15h
    mrsf15h Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    At a local gym you should be able to book a session where they will measure your body fat, weight, height, muscle mass etc and will give you the right pointers to make improvements in your lifestyle. 15kg is a lot of weight to lose as some of it will be muscle, not just purely fat.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a body recomp is what you need then (lowering body fat and not necessarily weight). Don't focus on a large caloric deficit as much, but rather stay at a maintenance level or slightly below and weight train.
  • philip_3
    philip_3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    wkwebby wrote: »
    Sounds like a body recomp is what you need then (lowering body fat and not necessarily weight). Don't focus on a large caloric deficit as much, but rather stay at a maintenance level or slightly below and weight train.

This sounds like a really good idea actually! Thank you! Maybe if I eat a bit healthier and focus on weight training I can lower my fat levels without loosing muscle too. Thanks a million!