Not working out. and still losing the weight..

Options
Has there been any success with people NOT working out and still losing weight..I know that what you eat is the biggest contribution to weight loss so i would like to see if anyone has lost some weight with little to no exercise.. .

Replies

• d0900
    d0900 Posts: 30
    Options
    Has there been any success with people NOT working out and still losing weight..I know that what you eat is the biggest contribution to weight loss so i would like to see if anyone has lost some weight with little to no exercise.. .
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I have seen quite a few ppl who stick to their alloted calories and do not exercise and they lose weight.

I exercise because I cant eat 1200 cals a day, exercise gives me up to 1500 cals

Some ppl have started out no exercise, then when they hit the dreaded plateau, they starte hitting the treadmill.

Good luck in your weight loss journey!:flowerforyou:
  • funnygurl826
    Options
    Before I started coming to this site today, I have lost a total of 25 pounds without excercise. I have just watched my food intake but my plan is to start a daily excercise routine to help even more.
  • lisabeavers
    Options
    i read somewhere that you can lose up to 30% of your body weight by diet alone but not more than that. But why wudn't you exercise? It helps burn calories and it makes you stronger and faster wtih more endurance. Its not just about being skinny, its about being healthy.
  • weesel80
    weesel80 Posts: 186
    Options
    Sure, you can lose weight just by watching what you eat, but it will not be as much as if you combine it with exercise as well. Also, if you have a substantial amount of weight to lose, without exercise and toning, the body will not look good if you lose a lot of weight. Besides, you will feel so much better with exercise and improve your cardiovascular health!! Good luck!

109912.png
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercise. But even if you aren't trying to lose weight exercise is good for you so why not go ahead and get double the benefits. Healthier and you lose weight quicker.
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    If you exercise and watch your calorie intake you can tone up the skin that will be flabby if you just watch what you eat and not exercise and you don't want flabby skin.
  • nwfamilygal
    Options
    I walk and I feel so much better then if I didn't do anything. It has toned my body all over not just in one spot. I can get cloths on now I couldn't when I started. My husband even noticed and that is a plus. I want to get healthy as well as in shape. I have more energy also so walking is for me :smile: Also water:drinker:
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 lbs by just dieting alone. However, I wish I would have included exercise because now I'm not toned & will require plastic surgery, Plus, achieving health requires diet and exercise together. I love the gym now & wish I would have started earlier!!!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Yes..I lost almost 30 pounds
    AFTER I lost the weight I started doing yoga/walking....now clothes that I bought after the weight lose...even though the number on the scale is the same...the clothes are too big!

Plus I get to eat more cals...another added bonus

Kim
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    I have seen quite a few ppl who stick to their alloted calories and do not exercise and they lose weight.

I exercise because I cant eat 1200 cals a day, exercise gives me up to 1500 cals

Some ppl have started out no exercise, then when they hit the dreaded plateau, they starte hitting the treadmill.

Good luck in your weight loss journey!:flowerforyou:

I am awaiting the "dreaded plateau" before I begin exercising regularly. For now I do it ... irregularly. But, I've changed other habits too... like stairs instead of the elevator at work. Walking to meet people at the office instead of emailing or calling them. Stuff like that.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 lbs by just dieting alone. However, I wish I would have included exercise because now I'm not toned & will require plastic surgery, Plus, achieving health requires diet and exercise together. I love the gym now & wish I would have started earlier!!!

beautifully put, buy a beautiful person who has been there!!:flowerforyou:
  • kmdougherty
    Options
    It takes a lot for me to get the push to go and exercise but now that I can only have 1200 cals a day i need to exercise daily so I can eat more! healthy foods of course :drinker:
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

when I was on Atkins full time, I lost 14 lbs a month and all I did was walk.
    very few yoga ball workouts either, mainly to stretch.

and I wonder why I ever stopped.
  • innerhottie
    innerhottie Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Being a historically "yo-yo" dieter in the past, I have lost weight both ways.
    I have to be honest and say that I looked much better when i lost it with
    exercise.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible to lose weight without exercising. BUT, is it a good idea? NO! lol!

I know how hard it is to get used to exercise. I used to hate it! But if you just do it. Start out slowly. Do what you can and slowly build your endurance and strength, it becomes easier and you will enjoy it more and more. Especially when you see results!

Having lost 130 lbs so far, my body isn't EXACTLY how I would like. There are some areas that I wish I could change BUT I know for a fact the exercise I have done has helped me to bounce back a lot better than if I hadn't exercised. And I feel good overall!

I started with 20 minutes of cardio on the elliptical and a few weights maybe two days a week. Now, I do over an hour of cardio at high levels and more weights at least 4 days a week. It's just a process. Get started slowly. :wink:
  • lnwolfs
    lnwolfs Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you aren't doing any strength exercising, you can actually lose muscle while dieting also. This sucks because the more muscle you have, you burn more calories than if you didn't. Which means you lose weight easier.

The reason I bring it up, is because I have lost alot of muscle over years of dieting and not doing strength training. I have recently added it to my workout routine after reading many articles supporting it.
  • RMONTGOMERY
    Options
    Most of your weight loss will be because of your diet, but in order to prevent muscle loss it is important to workout regularly.
  • brookefoley
    brookefoley Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My husband broke his leg and could not exercise, but he dieted by watching his calories and he lost 20 pounds. So it can be done even if it isn't the optimal plan. I would say if you *can* exercise, then you should try to work it in.
    Good luck!
    Brooke
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, and your muscles tend to waste away when not using them. So you may get "skinny", but have no tone or other benefits exersing does for you.