Do Protein Shakes really help promote weight loss?

Options
I recently bought Jillian Micheal's Vanilla Whey Protein Powder and have been using it to make delicious smoothies daily, but is this necessary for my weight loss goals? I just need to be honest with myself, there's no point in me wasting time and calories if its not going to help me.

Can you guys give me your feedback, or ideas... suggestions, ANYTHING, it seems like a 50/50 vote with these protein shakes.
I honestly want to gain some muscle, but should I lose the weight first and then take protein?

Ahhhhhhhhh! Help me...

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    No, not really. They won't promote weight loss any more than chicken breast and broccoli would. They're just a form of food/nutrition, which is easily portable and can be prepared quickly, to supplement a diet and meet your daily nutrition goals. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    no
  • achapman01
    achapman01 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have found that protein shakes do help with my weight loss, and with building lean muscle rather than only losing fat. I like to drink them right after my workouts to "eat back" some of the exercise calories. I've also read that your body uses the protein more readily right after a workout. Good Luck to you, and I look forward to reading other answers you'll get. :)
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are meant to be a quick and convenient way of adding protein to your diet, especially after a strength training workout. They can be used as a meal replacement or a snack to help stave off hunger, just be careful which ones you buy, as some are meant for people trying to put on a lot of muscle in a hurry and can have upwards of 1000 calories per serving. You should definately be trying to add muscle while losing fat . The more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism, and the faster the fat will come off. Adding muscle will also help you to tone up and make your fat loss more visible to yourself and others!
  • OutDaWay
    OutDaWay Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Whey shakes are great for muscle rebuilding and healing. I drink 1 12oz whey shake (Whey and whole milk) 30minutes after I get done weight lifting.
  • FATGIRLFANTASY
    FATGIRLFANTASY Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If I could hug & give you all high fives i would..
    Thanks so much to everyone for taking there time out to answer my question.

Everybody have a good night, I wish you all luck in fitness goals
  • Sandy9586
    Sandy9586 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 100 pounds in the last 11 months. I have always used shakes. I started with a lot to control calorie count and now I just use them as snacks. So in my opinion, they help in different ways for people. Just be sure to read nutrition labels.