BMI unreasonable?

Options
13»

Replies

• shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    As others have said BMI is for population averages. Unfortunately some governments and insurance companies don't understand or choose to ignore how statistics work and apply it to individuals for purposes beyond what it was intended for.

To the OP, just get your body fat % calculated and re-assess your situation.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I just have to chime in here, as I've been thinking about this whole BMI thing for almost a month now. I got my body fat tested (by BodPod - much more accurate than calipers or electrical impedence) early this month, and got the following results:

Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 388.8 lbs
    Body fat: 40% (I've got some work to do)
    Lean mass: 232 lbs
    Fat mass: 156 lbs

This gives me a BMI of 50, and if I go down to a 20% bodyfat (losing 80 lbs of fat, and estimating an 8 lbs of muscle loss with that), that'll put me at 300 lbs with a BMI of almost 40! Even if you stripped off all the fat, a lean mass of 232 lbs is still a BMI of 30. So I wouldn't put more than a nickel's investment into BMI numbers. As everyone else said, it's more geared towards populations as a whole, and not for individuals - you're always going to find outliers!

Today is the first time I've heard of FFMI, though. Based on those calculations, I've got an FFMI of 30 (I double checked). I'm a big guy, but I'm still all natural - I'm interested in finding whoever ran that study.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I just have to chime in here, as I've been thinking about this whole BMI thing for almost a month now. I got my body fat tested (by BodPod - much more accurate than calipers or electrical impedence) early this month, and got the following results:

This gives me a BMI of 50, and if I go down to a 20% bodyfat (losing 80 lbs of fat, and estimating an 8 lbs of muscle loss with that), that'll put me at 300 lbs with a BMI of almost 40! Even if you stripped off all the fat, a lean mass of 232 lbs is still a BMI of 30. So I wouldn't put more than a nickel's investment into BMI numbers. As everyone else said, it's more geared towards populations as a whole, and not for individuals - you're always going to find outliers!

Today is the first time I've heard of FFMI, though. Based on those calculations, I've got an FFMI of 30 (I double checked). I'm a big guy, but I'm still all natural - I'm interested in finding whoever ran that study.

Double check your math. If you drop to 300 lbs at 20% bodyfat, you'd have to gain 8 lbs of muscle and lose 96 lbs of fat. I'm assuming that you're already weightlifting, so it's not likely that you're going to add muscle mass while eating at a deficit. If 20% bodyfat is your goal and you're able to get there without losing a single ounce of your existing 232 lb lean body mass, your new target weight would be 290, not 300 lbs. And you'd have to lose 98 lbs of fat, not 80 lbs.

You're on the right track, though. Bodyfat percent is a much better benchmark than BMI.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Soltari675 wrote: »
    Wait a minute ...

BMI will give you a *range*. In order for 107 to be the top of the range, you'd have to be 4 feet 7.

107 is the very bottom of the range for someone who's 5 feet 3 or 5 feet 4 (depending on whether you use 18.5 or 19 as the boundary). You are NOT supposed to be the smallest number in the range! If you're taller than that, then something was wrong with the settings you used.

Now, if you're muscular/large framed, it still might be low, but not THAT low.

My range was something like 107 to 147. But even at 147 I'd still be a lot of bones. I'm glad to hear everyone else agrees though. Makes me feel better. I'll start looking at the body fat percentage thing instead. Thanks!

I cannot imagine how this would be possible, I suspect your perception of what "normal" looks like is flawed, as is the case for many overweight people. I can see how someone very muscular could be at the overweight category by BMI, but still this person would look solid and muscular, not lean and not all bones as you claim. There is no way a woman at your height does not have a lot of body fat at 180 lbs. No matter how much muscle she has. I do not care if you were the world's heavy weight champion in olympic lifts and the most muscular woman to walk this planet ever, there would still be body fat, and a lot of it.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I cannot imagine a female who is 5'3" where 147 would be unreasonably thin. I always considered myself a larger frame. I am 5'4" and even with all the loose skin from losing 100lbs I still sit pretty comfortably at 123lbs now. I am largely muscle too. I work out 2hrs a day 5 days a week and its a combo lifting and cardio so I am solid. That being said I also could not imagine myself at anything lower than 150 back when I was 220. I was pretty convinced that I would look like bones below that weight but it turns out the 120s are a good spot for me.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    BMI is flawed science for lots of people....

For example: my dear friend is a competitive bodybuilder. He's 6' tall, and around 217lbs. His BMI is 29.8 which makes him overweight. However, his body fat is 9%. I've seen him at his *healthy* BMI at 185 lbs, and he's anorexic skinny.

A guy I used to train with got a call from some clerk at his doctor's office. She informed him that he was "at risk of obesity" due to his BMI. He's a triathlon athlete with bodyfat of like 12%. Definitely NOT overweight.

If your friend is truly 217, 9% bf, 6', then he has a FFMI of 26.9. Above an FFMI of 25 is pretty much a guarantee of being on anabolic steroids.

I thought it, you wrote it.

• Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Soltari675 wrote: »
    Anyone else feel the BMI calculators out there are just unreasonable? I looked at a few today that said my target weight should be around 107lbs. That is like celebrity anorexic for me! When I was in the military, after basic training I weighed 180 lbs. I was a good healthy weight and size, felt great and all. If I went to 107 I would be all bones. I love my bones but other people don't need to see them all. I have a stocky frame, even for a woman. Apparently even the 180 comes in a grossly overweight. I hate to say it, I was not over weight after basic. I was nothing but lean muscle.

Anyone else find the BMI calculators very unreasonable?
    BMI gives us a range for healthy weight, and usually we should fall into that range. It's not perfect.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    BMI said I was overweight at 169.... This is me at 169...

1201uksounad.jpg

CUR.jpg 18.5K
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »

Double check your math. If you drop to 300 lbs at 20% bodyfat, you'd have to gain 8 lbs of muscle and lose 96 lbs of fat. I'm assuming that you're already weightlifting, so it's not likely that you're going to add muscle mass while eating at a deficit. If 20% bodyfat is your goal and you're able to get there without losing a single ounce of your existing 232 lb lean body mass, your new target weight would be 290, not 300 lbs. And you'd have to lose 98 lbs of fat, not 80 lbs.

You're on the right track, though. Bodyfat percent is a much better benchmark than BMI.

It's been a long day. I was calculating half of the existing fat instead of recalculating based on ending weight. And I'm not really looking to gain muscle, but if it happens, it happens. I just started doing some serious arm workouts (I've been a squat and leg guy for the most part), so I may gain some size there, but otherwise I think I'm as big as I need to be.

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I looked at your profile and you look like a pretty strong guy. Bigger than you need to be, but with a lot of muscle on your frame.