please help me with a sodium question!

Options
kirstyfromscotland
kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
It sounds stupid but is sodium the same as salt, i eat a lot of salf on my food, i know its waaaaaay to much but ive recently added it to my diary because i am going to work out how much salt i eat by adding it and the salt already in some of the foods i eat, I think i will get a shock at how much i eat and hope that will make me cut down, i just find food more tasty with lots of salt and i know this is very bad for my health especially as there is heart problems through my family.

Replies

• Rach911
    Rach911 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes, salt & sodium are the same thing and are very dangerous in excess. While sodium is necessary for our bodies, it is definately something that needs to be watched. I just recently started monitoring my salt intake and was shocked at what has salt already in it, i.e. cottage cheese, milk, diet sodas, etc. I do not add extra salt to anything, but I have never paid much attention to what my food already had in it. I found an article on the Mayo Clinics website that I found useful: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284. Hope it helps! Good luck!
  • evolisa
    evolisa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who went through a medical doctor's weight loss program. He took all her stats prior to begininng and assessed what was right for her nutrient wise. He discovered that she too ate WAY to much salt and as a result ate and drank more to combat the sodium. He put her on a low sodium (nothing processed or fast food) and she lost a whopping 50 lbs almost effortlessly. He even had her quit drinking as much water (that I never quite understood). So, yes...I think salt/sodium are all one in the same. I do recall her mentioning the salt and hormone connection too. She looks and feels amazing now!
    I Googled but found too many sources....here is one....http://www.burncaloriesforlife.com/low-sodium-diets-weight-loss.shtml
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    For the purposes of myfitnesspal, it's pretty much the same. Tracking your sodium is a good idea. Sodium causes your body to retain water. You may notice that the day after you gorge on a lot of sodium you may gain a pound or two and bloat a bit. Processed foods and almost anything you eat out is full of sodium. The best way to watch your sodium is to prepare your own foods, read labels at the store, and track your intake.
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    i dont eat much ready made and am sure that my sodium levels will not go over but its def a prob with the salt i add to food, i will have to try and lower my amounts daily until im down to nothing added. i crave it if i dont have it but i know thats just because my body is used to the amounts i have at the moment. Thank you all for your help.x
  • billmac
    billmac Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    In Aus we have a product called Lite-Salt. Common table salt is 100% Sodium Chloride. Lite-Salt is 50 % sodium Chloride and 50% Potassium Chloride. This helps keep a better balance of Sodium and Potassium in your body and may help while you are in the process or weaning yourself off 'salt'. . A good source of potassium in a snack is olives. A google of potassium Chloride gives plenty of references. This one may help

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09355.html
  • billmac
    billmac Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    P.S. Sodium and potassium chloride are very similar salts. Sometimes what we interpret as a desire or craving for 'salt' is actually caused by a sodium/potassium imbalance with too much sodium. However the body just tells us 'salt' when what it is really asking for is Potassium.