New, trying to lose 90 lbs and quitting cigarettes.

nrozier1
nrozier1 Posts: 3 Member
Hi everyone. I am a 28 yr old woman. I am way over weight and trying to lose 90 lbs! while im am trying to do this I am also starting a journey to quit smoking cigarettes. Battling hunger cravings and cigarette cravings at the same time is very interesting. I would love any advice any one could give. Good luck everyone!

Replies

• Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    I did the same three years ago. I found that drinking lots of water and coffee helped a lot. Also,I found sucking on Worther's chocolate candies to be real helpful too.(Just make sure you count the calories lol.) Pick up some new hobbies too if you can to keep your hands busy. Unfortunately I gained back most of the weight,but I am 3.5 years smoke free! Good luck!
  • R2Detoo
    R2Detoo Posts: 31 Member
    I'm gonna be honest, doing both at the same time is pretty difficult but ultimately extremely healthy, so I'm proud of you for making this decision!

I agree with the above poster of having candies, but I prefer having a mint or a cinnamon candy. I always find that if I have chocolate I try to eat all of them but if I have something with a unique flavor, I'm satisfied with only one. Or gum is always helpful! Or even dumdums (small lollipops).

I'd also (for about the first few months) try to keep the kitchen free of processed foods that I could eat too many of when I was bored (even if they were "healthy"). For example, those 100-cal bags of cookies were never safe in my house. Instead keep cut up fruits/veggies to snack on.
  • nrozier1
    Thanks for the words of encouragement guys! :-) I have a small garden with cherry tomato plants and Ive started eating a couple of those small tomatoes when i feel a cigarette craving coming on. I was thinking peppermints, but haven't tried them yet! My ultimate test is cutting out pasta. My family love salads, and not the salads with lettuce. More like Macaroni Salad and Potato Salad. Im also head over heels for dip and potato chips. Thats a hard one!
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Both are very very hard but, if you put your mind to it,it can be done. I did one at a time. I quite smoking first cause I knew that would be the hardest and with it came cravings, some people don't get the weight gain cause they substitute the craving with mints or gum and health snacks its all up to you, its been 1yr and 9 months since I've stopped smoking and they have an app called Quite Pro which was helpfulI.I started working out about 6 months after I stopped smoking because I was able to breath better. You will be glad when you stop smoking cause your taste buds are going to come alive and your food will taste awesome. As far as loosing the weight find a routine that you enjoy and go for it. I workout at home only because if I feel like working out 2 in the morning in my own comfort I can..really don't like the gym anymore cause there is always waiting.. Let me know how everything works out. If you like you can send me a friend request. Good Luck.
  • BethMilledge
    BethMilledge Posts: 367 Member
    Feel free to add me.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2015
    Yeah I don't envy you. I'm planning to do the same soon. I did it cold turkey a short while ago, but started smoking again on day 4. It wasn't the cravings.. that part was surprisingly well tolerated. I wouldn't say easy, it wasn't, but it wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be.

The problem was that I just couldn't take the fatigue anymore. Going from 2 packs a day to zero is not a joke. I was sleeping nearly 16 hours a day and unable to do the simplest things (interestingly my night sleep was horrible, waking up several times being aware of every single noise although I'm usually a very heavy sleeper). When I got a project with a generous pay I just had to smoke to be able to function.

According to research, women tend to get addicted to nicotine faster and find it harder in general to stop than men. Unlucky us... but that only prepares you for what to expect.

This time I'm doing it with patches and hoping this would help soften the crash. How are you quitting? Tell me more about your experience.
  • catharinamkotze
    catharinamkotze Posts: 57 Member
    You can do it!
    14 months smoke free and 70 pounds lost so far!
    But don't be fooled, it is going to be one of the hardest things you are ever going to do.
    Just believe in yourself.
    Nothing is impossible.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    6 years smoke-free, so far 26 pounds lost so far.

I would recommend replacing the "need" thing that will pop into your head with something else. Like a walk,, 10 mins of stretching , etc. You need tools to fight the urges. You CAN do this.

Allen Carr's Easy way to quit smoking book was pretty good too.
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    _The_Lone_Wolf_ Posts: 160 Member
    edited July 2015
    11 months without buying tabacco, quitting wasnt so hard for me tbh, only the few couple days were really bad. Got 66lbs to lose thnx to my alcohol addiction which i quit cold turkey 22 days ago.
    Feel free to add
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    I stopped 10 yrs ago with shots. I started smoking again during my divorce. I quit again a year ago. I found vaping to be a good alternative. Of course, you will need to step down the nicotine gradually and then stop vaping. But, you instantly remove 4000+ chemicals that you are inhaling, like acetone, arsenic, toluene, carbon monoxide, etc. You, and your lungs, will feel better in a couple of days and you will begin to hate the smell of cigarettes. From there, it's relatively painless! You will be able to work out longer and harder, increasing your weight loss.

Good luck!
  • nrozier1
    Thanks for all the support and encouragement guys! Im on day four of no cigs. I was using the vape in the morning to curb that irritation first thing in the am but today I haven't used it at all. I am noticing that I am trying to substitute food for cigs but I am reminding myself with a picture picture of myself when it gets incessant. Lol! Also I stated crocheting a scarf for the first time and I'm hoping that keeps me busy for a bit. I think I'm definitely going y'alls advice and go for a walk. Stay active! Less time to think about it. Lol. :-D
  • ronrhoda
    ronrhoda Posts: 91 Member
    I did it all on April 2nd! Stopped smoking, started dieting and started exercising! It can be done! I will be 50 in a couple of months. I've been trying on this site for 55 days. In total I've lost 38 pounds, 20 of it on this site!! You can do it!!! Believe in yourself!! This is an awesome supportive site!! Add me if you would like.
  • muddyrun22
    muddyrun22 Posts: 1 Member
    I quit smoking 2 months ago cold turkey after smoking for 12 years. The first week is the hardest. I chewed a lot of trident gum. Every time I got the urge I popped a piece of gum and it was gone. Your will has to be stronger then the urge! The most important part are the lifestyle changes that come with quitting. Keep on keeping on!