Which vitamin is in your medicine cabinet

Options
I'm trying to pick a good multivitamin and they're are so many choices! Gnc had their vita pac but is it overkill? Is a one a day sufficient? Uugghhh I can't choose. What does everyone here use?

Replies

• raleighzia
    raleighzia Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I just ordered centrum for adults under 50 and whichever vitamins aren't provided in quantities of 100% I will supplement with my diet.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I take Centrum. GNC...I just don't trust that place and wouldn't buy anything from them. Their vitamins may be fine, though. I don't know.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    As a post-bariatric patient I take a pregnancy multivitamin to get the extra folic acid, calcium citrate, iron, and vitamin D. I pick up any pregnancy multivitamin that is on the discount shelf at the pharmacy.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    My doc has me on Folate -- brand name Solgar. Also Vit D3.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I take a daily prenatal multivitamin, which my doctor recommends for all women of child bearing age. My tend to buy the One-a-Day brand.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I take Aldi's brand (Wellby) multivitamin currently. I also take a fish oil and acidophilus.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I take Vitamin D when it's not summer. I've thought about fish oil, but I eat lots of oily fish, so haven't convinced myself I need to yet. I eat a pretty balanced diet with lots of veggies and have never been found to have any deficiencies, so don't take anything else.

The only thing I'd caution against is supplementing iron -- you can easily overdo it (especially if you have certain conditions) and that can be serious, so I wouldn't unless I were diagnosed with an iron deficiency.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    IDLife
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I take the supplements recommended by my doctor as far as types go - b12 (I don't get much from my diet), iron (I donate blood regularly), and fish oil. You might not even need a multivitamin - has it been recommended for you?
  • Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    D3, B Complex, Fish Oil, Spirulina & Chlorella.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I keep my vitamins in the refrigerator, its produce. My mother told me long ago that if you eat good food you don't need vitamins.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I keep my vitamins in the refrigerator, its produce. My mother told me long ago that if you eat good food you don't need vitamins.

I definitely agree with trying to get as many of your vitamins and minerals directly from food. Supplements should be just that - supplementing your every day routine. Not everyone can meet all of their needs through diet due to medical issues, but most people can accomplish more with diet alone than they realize.
  • Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I guarantee no one is getting all the vitamins that they should be getting daily, through just food. Eat what you normally eat, and then go get your blood work checked. I think you'd be surprised.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    lalepepper wrote: »

I definitely agree with trying to get as many of your vitamins and minerals directly from food. Supplements should be just that - supplementing your every day routine. Not everyone can meet all of their needs through diet due to medical issues, but most people can accomplish more with diet alone than they realize.

This. And check with your doc- if you're not deficient, then you don't need supplements. Also, all supplements aren't the same for everyone. Depending on your body and or medical conditions, you may not absorb one type of vitamin type over another.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I like Mega Food brand for any vitamin/supplement. High quality.
  • clearlydivinesounique
    Options
    Sadly I have low levels of vitamin d, vitamin b, and I'm ov childbearing age, and I've tried to give live 2 times and was rejected both times because my levels are low there as well soooo apparently I'm anemic too. I cramp frequently which is beginning ti indicate an electrolyte imbalance... sodium, magnesium, potassium and calcium. All of this comes up in my blood work so my doctor definitely wants me on a supplement. She prescribed a prenatal but I'm not sure it's giving me everything I need so I'm doing my research to see if there may be something a little more potent out there.
  • clearlydivinesounique
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    lalepepper wrote: »

This. And check with your doc- if you're not deficient, then you don't need supplements. Also, all supplements aren't the same for everyone. Depending on your body and or medical conditions, you may not absorb one type of vitamin type over another.

Thankfully no medical conditions...just crappy nutritional levels.
  • SharpTeeth
    SharpTeeth Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a medical condition, so I took Super B Complex for years + vitamin D3, but recently my doc recommended I switch to prenatal because of the iron. Still also take the D3. Very cost effective compared to the B.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Sadly I have low levels of vitamin d, vitamin b, and I'm ov childbearing age, and I've tried to give live 2 times and was rejected both times because my levels are low there as well soooo apparently I'm anemic too. I cramp frequently which is beginning ti indicate an electrolyte imbalance... sodium, magnesium, potassium and calcium. All of this comes up in my blood work so my doctor definitely wants me on a supplement. She prescribed a prenatal but I'm not sure it's giving me everything I need so I'm doing my research to see if there may be something a little more potent out there.

I applaud you for doing your research! With that, I caution straying from your docs recommendations because again- they likely recommended a prenatal that has an appropriate combination for YOUR body. Prenatal covers a LOT of bases and oftentimes cheaper supplements have vitamin compounds that are harder or less efficient for uptake in the body so know what you are taking! Good luck!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of women take prenatal multi's. What's the difference between those and regular vitamins?