My knees hurt when I jog!

Options
Hello friends,
I've struggled with my weight forever but now that I'm 35 what was difficult is now seeming impossible. But I refuse to give up, I'm tracking my food again to remain accountable and I've decided to become a "runner"...or someone who moves at a faster than walking speed. I always used the excuse "I'm too fat" or "My lungs hurt (because I smoked)". Well, in the past 3+ years I've quit drinking, smoking...EVERYTHING. I have no more excuses. I'm 5' 7", 180 lbs. I go to the gym/bike/hike 3 times a week...if I'm on my game. At the gym, my routine looks like this: warm up is treadmill 3.5 mph increase incline every minute until 15 minutes=15 incline, then drop incline to 10 ...5...cool down. Then I work either my upper body (chest, bi, tri, shoulder) or lower body (hammies, quads, calves) typically on the smith machine or cables. I only resort to regular machines if the meatheads are bogarting the free weight area. I lift an amount of weight that makes 15 reps almost impossible, a.k.a. I push myself so that the next day my muscles hurt and I know I accomplished something. I'm strong.
However, my endurance for running/jogging SUCKS. So I've decided to start out small, brisk walking to warm up with intervals of jogging mixed in. Each time I challenge myself to jog a bit longer, walk a bit faster. I have relatively new Asic sneakers which fit my wide fred flintstone feet well. But after walking/jogging (14-15 minute mile pace) for 4 days in the past 8 days my KNEES HURT. I can deal with muscle pain, I like it, it tells me I worked. But joint pain isn't good. Is it my gait? I tend to favor my right leg. Will it get better the more I jog or worse? I haven;t had any knee or joint injuries in the past.
Thanks in advance fitness pals!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Knee pain from running may come from any number of sources.

The usual ones are footwear, you may have a shoe type that's inappropriate for your gait. The solution for that may be a visit to your local running specialty shop to have your gait assessed and appropriate shoes recommended.

Another very common problem is hip/glute strength issue & core strength.

Here's a vidoe put out by Dave Scott (one of the early triathlon champions):
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=MTJPb4-YOmc

Some ideas from Runners World:

runnersworld.com/workouts/glute-strengthening-workout

It may also be an overuse issue; ie trying to do too much, too soon, too fast.

The first thing I'd suggest is to stop running immediately but see if you can walk pain free. If you can walk pain free try adding in very short, slow running intervals (1 or 2 min to start) and very gradually build up the times.

If there's still pain don't hesitate to see a sports medicine doctor or physiotherapist for an assessment.
  • JuliBiGoolee
    JuliBiGoolee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Great advice! My core strength is not very good, I have horrible posture.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Try running every second day, not every other.

Glucosamine helped me too
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Is it my gait?

It could me. Try to have a seasoned runner check your form, and video yourself on the treadmill, viewed from the back and side, and knee level.

• twinsbabyweight
    twinsbabyweight Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    There are some small stores that specialize in running shoes. They will put you on a treadmill & advise what shoes you need. I've seen this in Dicks Sporting Goods also.

And, maybe try the couch 2 5k app. Get started the right way. You may be trying to overdo it. It takes going thru alot of aches & pains in the beginning as ligaments & muscles strengthen in your feet & knees that you didn't know existed.

Lastly, glucosamine & conjointin helped me tons. It lubricates those knee joints. I used Osteobiflex brand with MSM.
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    This is helpful. I think my knee pain was from too much/too fast. C25K sounds like a good idea.
  • melholmes80
    melholmes80 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hello friends,
    I've struggled with my weight forever but now that I'm 35 what was difficult is now seeming impossible. But I refuse to give up, I'm tracking my food again to remain accountable and I've decided to become a "runner"...or someone who moves at a faster than walking speed. I always used the excuse "I'm too fat" or "My lungs hurt (because I smoked)". Well, in the past 3+ years I've quit drinking, smoking...EVERYTHING. I have no more excuses. I'm 5' 7", 180 lbs. I go to the gym/bike/hike 3 times a week...if I'm on my game. At the gym, my routine looks like this: warm up is treadmill 3.5 mph increase incline every minute until 15 minutes=15 incline, then drop incline to 10 ...5...cool down. Then I work either my upper body (chest, bi, tri, shoulder) or lower body (hammies, quads, calves) typically on the smith machine or cables. I only resort to regular machines if the meatheads are bogarting the free weight area. I lift an amount of weight that makes 15 reps almost impossible, a.k.a. I push myself so that the next day my muscles hurt and I know I accomplished something. I'm strong.
    However, my endurance for running/jogging SUCKS. So I've decided to start out small, brisk walking to warm up with intervals of jogging mixed in. Each time I challenge myself to jog a bit longer, walk a bit faster. I have relatively new Asic sneakers which fit my wide fred flintstone feet well. But after walking/jogging (14-15 minute mile pace) for 4 days in the past 8 days my KNEES HURT. I can deal with muscle pain, I like it, it tells me I worked. But joint pain isn't good. Is it my gait? I tend to favor my right leg. Will it get better the more I jog or worse? I haven;t had any knee or joint injuries in the past.
    Thanks in advance fitness pals!

It sounds like we're the same person! I'm 35, 5'11" and 184. I tried to start running a few months ago and after finally getting up to 2km non stop my left knee gave out and I landed in physio for 2 months:( turns out it was my incredibly weak glutes and core that was causing the pain. I started doing more stretching, strength training, and got the "all clear" from my physio therapist this week to try again. I think I'm going to try c25k, because after reviewing it...I started at week 7 last time and ended up injured. This will be the week I start running again. Feel free to add me if you want to try together.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and 51. I started off at 210 pounds and am now about 170 and still heading downwards. *I would ask, why does it need to be running? A key component of my weight loss has been regular, sustained, briskish walking, generally outdoors. At the gym I use the elliptical as that takes the joint impact out of the exercise equation. If it hurts, and there are alternatives, why do it?
  • XmasInJuly16
    XmasInJuly16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have been right where you are!! Are you running only on a treadmill? As soon as i started jogging outside, all of my ankle/knee/hip discomfort disappeared. The belt on the treadmill made my feet turn, which messed up my ankles and knees PLUS i was always jogging in an upright position. When i'm outside, i'm able to angle my body more (lean forward) at my pace - try a short run on pavement and see if that changes anything?
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Well...

I hate running. I tried it for two years. Worked my way up so I could run 5 miles. My times were always slow, but I ran - never walked any part of it. I experienced a LOT of pain in my lower legs, and my doctor advised me to get some inserts (I pronate my feet). The inserts helped a ton.

However, after two years, I had enough.

There are so many different ways to gain aerobic endurance and improve your overall fitness. If you really want to run, go for it.

But I prefer just about anything else to running. So don't feel like you HAVE to run.