Tired Hungry

Options
I'm just starting over with my weight loss after gaining it back again. This time is harder already because I have 2 kids and I'm tired all the time. When I'm tired I crave junk food and just want to eat all day. I've been eating heaps of vegetables instead but I am really craving chocolate, biscuits and ice cream.
I try to get as much sleep as I can but there are often nights where I get less than 5 hrs then the next nights I don't get enough to catch it back up.
I'm also finding it hard to exercise even though I know it will give me more energy in the long term. I'm trying for 30 minutes each day.
Any ideas?

Replies

• aleycat1
    aleycat1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing good eating veggies when the cravings hit! Can you add a little more exercise on your break at work??
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    aleycat1 wrote: »
    It sounds like you are doing good eating veggies when the cravings hit! Can you add a little more exercise on your break at work??

Thanks, it's really hard to resist and sometimes I give in...

I'm working up from nothing to 30 min at the moment but would ideally like to add in some strength training and increase to 1 hr a day.

I'm not working at the moment because I'm staying at home with my kids which means I don't get a break until they go to sleep but it does give me the flexibility to do walks during the day and I'm hoping to add in some at home strength training.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Make it an absolute priority to sleep. Let other things slide. B) Consider getting more help like someone to clean or help with the children a few hours a week.
  • BlackPup
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Make it an absolute priority to sleep. Let other things slide. B) Consider getting more help like someone to clean or help with the children a few hours a week.
    Its pretty high on my list of priorities!!!! My house is a mess but I'm in bed ready for sleep.
    Good idea t get some help. I'll look into it.
  • WellingTX
    WellingTX Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    BlackPup wrote: »
    I'm just starting over with my weight loss after gaining it back again. This time is harder already because I have 2 kids and I'm tired all the time. When I'm tired I crave junk food and just want to eat all day. I've been eating heaps of vegetables instead but I am really craving chocolate, biscuits and ice cream.
    I try to get as much sleep as I can but there are often nights where I get less than 5 hrs then the next nights I don't get enough to catch it back up.
    I'm also finding it hard to exercise even though I know it will give me more energy in the long term. I'm trying for 30 minutes each day.
    Any ideas?

Look for the small wins in the day, a quick walk around the block or a positive diet choice. Build on each day and most importantly be kind to yourself if things don't go the way you want. You're in it for the long haul.
  • BlackPup
    Options
    WellingTX wrote: »
    BlackPup wrote: »
    Any ideas?

Look for the small wins in the day, a quick walk around the block or a positive diet choice. Build on each day and most importantly be kind to yourself if things don't go the way you want. You're in it for the long haul.

Thanks

That's great advice. I'll try to remember to be kind to myself as I'm often my harshest critic. It is a lot of small choices thought each and every day.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Be more organised by prelogging food. Try and batch prepare or have the right foods available so you dont run off snacking or binging. I try and eat the nutritious food in order to make sure im spending calories on the stuff I need. Complex carbs will give you a more realiable steadu energy release as opposed to simple carbs which can give you a quick boost and then dip.

The firt bit of your diet is a leraning process, understanding your limiys and experimenting with what works and identifying where the weaknesses are. As soon as you see a weakness then you develop a solution. Dont fret and be your own best friend.
  • leanlicorice
    leanlicorice Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Be more organised by prelogging food. Try and batch prepare or have the right foods available so you dont run off snacking or binging.

Great advice. It requires more effort in planning but it is so much easier than trying make healthy meals when you are tired/distracted/stressed.
  • BlackPup
    Options
    Be more organised by prelogging food. Try and batch prepare or have the right foods available so you dont run off snacking or binging. I try and eat the nutritious food in order to make sure im spending calories on the stuff I need. Complex carbs will give you a more realiable steadu energy release as opposed to simple carbs which can give you a quick boost and then dip.

The firt bit of your diet is a leraning process, understanding your limiys and experimenting with what works and identifying where the weaknesses are. As soon as you see a weakness then you develop a solution. Dont fret and be your own best friend.

Thanks. I always prelog my food the night before as it distracts me from eating more after dinner. I'll have to get some good recipes and start cooking up in advance.
    I think my weaknesses are in sweets, chocolate and biscuits!!! If I start eating them I find it really hard to stop. I'm sure that I'll learn heaps more as my journey continues.
  • BlackPup
    Options
    Be more organised by prelogging food. Try and batch prepare or have the right foods available so you dont run off snacking or binging.

Great advice. It requires more effort in planning but it is so much easier than trying make healthy meals when you are tired/distracted/stressed.

Thanks.
    It's so hard to make healthy meals when you're tired, but I guess if I want to be healthy and have my family eat healthier then I guess I'd better get some system for the busy days.
  • BlackPup
    Options
    Just found out that I'm iron deficient, no wonder I'm tired. Taking supplements now but it takes a while to work. Just going to need to get extra rest until they kick in.
    Doing ok on healthy eating except a little junk food in the snacks ( it's about half junk food half fruit and veg)