Why I parted ways with Weight Watchers

Options

Replies

• bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    OMG those who say bad things about WW either don't really know/understand the program or didn't followed it like its meant to... How sad
  • bfanny
    Options
    If u kind of follow it, it kind of works...
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    bfanny wrote: »
    OMG those who say bad things about WW either don't really know/understand the program or didn't followed it like its meant to... How sad

I understand completely how it works, and I still think it's terrible. All the focus is on points, very little on nutrition. Even if you do the "healthy checks" which are rarely focused on you can still have a terrible nutrient profile and within your points.

If I double track my calories here and points in the WW app on the WW program I only get to eat 1000 calories a day (excluding "free" foods). So my total intake would be approx 1200 calories assuming 200ish in fruits and veg etc. Telling people to eat so few calories isn't a very sustainable approach.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I understand completely how it works, and I still think it's terrible. All the focus is on points, very little on nutrition. Even if you do the "healthy checks" which are rarely focused on you can still have a terrible nutrient profile and within your points.

If I double track my points here and in the WW app on the WW program I only get to eat 1000 calories a day (excluding "free" foods). So my total intake would be approx 1200 calories assuming 200ish in fruits and veg etc. Telling people to eat so few calories isn't a very sustainable approach.

It isn't meant to be sustainable because it's profit driven. If 1 keeps off the weight, they won't continue to make money; off of their customers & will eventually go out of business. I am skeptical of any advice/product, that isn't entirely free. I determine for myself, not with "blind faith" in what they do; what's appropriate for me.

It reminds me of the auto industry, they use to make vehicles that could be passed down through generations but they lost customers because of that, so they currently make them inferior & whole families, are being wiped out; by fender benders. Which ironically means that, their losing customers again but via a different method; this time. Eventually they'll have to make a combination of both, so that they don't last generations but better maintains, the lives within them; as well.
  • bfanny
    Options
    Did u use ur 49 WP like encouraged to? AP?
    I double track points and cals "sometimes" and my macros and cals are very similar, no starving here 1,400-1,600 a day to lose ;) 2,000 + to maintain!
  • bfanny
    Options
    @kyrannosaurus
    By the way did u know that the points value is based on nutrition? Better quality=lower points
  • bfanny
    Options
    At the end u still have to make good choices just like counting cals, I'm not saying what's better, to each its own but I'm tired of the lies I read about WW because IMHO is just ignorance...
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    @kyrannosaurus
    By the way did u know that the points value is based on nutrition? Better quality=lower points

That's the WW tag line yes. Maybe try double tracking sometime. It's a very interesting experiment. I'd rather take greater control of my nutrition by tracking my macros and certain nutrients.

I'm glad WW works for you. I lost weight following points but MFP is more sustainable for me. And the MFP app actually works, the Australian WW app just an unreliable piece of junk.
  • 1949evie
    1949evie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Also stopped WW I didn't loose the weight like I should have. Honestly didn't want to keep paying money. So hopefully this will work for me.
  • Mizz_Mo
    Mizz_Mo Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    After two weeks of doing MFP I cancelled my WW online membership. I was paying $19 per month - and MFP is so much better. I always found the points annoying and kind of a pain in the butt. Don't miss WW at all.
  • Gretchi
    Gretchi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also cancelled my ww lifetime membership. I was with them for over 2 years but now I am trying to maintain on my own through fitness pal a gym membership and walking at work.

• RodHudson1229
    RodHudson1229 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I only think it's funny because I have read so many posts on this site from people saying it doesn't matter what you eat so long as your in a deficit and then I see folks complain how WW doesn't help you make good choices by paying attention to your macros. They do have a system as above poster noted in which the better food choice you make the less points. The formula is not just simply x calories =x points. At any rate it really is to each their own and what makes your most successful. WW works for many many people both my wife and I have been attending meetings and I personally like their setup. As someone above also said "If you kinda do it, it kinda works" I love that!!! So true in everything. Yea their are many systems out there and MFP is really good, I like the community and the data base much better than what WW offers. I find it hard at times to find certain foods on the WW data base and end up having to build my own recipe. The meetings and accountability is cool though.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    The formula is not just simply x calories =x points.
    Having to factor in a proprietary value (WW points) is an unnecessary step. Simplify the formula.

This is simple: x calories = x calories
  • 1linde
    1linde Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I loved my in person WW experience but I did try five different meetings to find the right one for me. I did lose sixty pounds and for whatever reason found it made me stick to plan to jump on the scale in front of a stranger - accountability. The entire time I was a member I was a member of spark people and tracked and blogged there also tried MFP so counted calories because the points to me was stupid and not real world but points were biased to healthier food choices. To me points are a marketing choice as if WW used calories there is nothing proprietary about their approach but it works for so many. Since 80 percent of dieters gain back weight WW pretty much mirrors society so that is why so many members rejoin.

I'm an emotional eater and put it all my weight back on so am on here again and taking the same weight off but this time and working with my medical doctor and am accountable to her and feel I have a handle of those issues and better coping skills than turning to a bag of candy. I watched this week's extreme weight loss and almost cried when I saw the contestant fall back to her old ways on her journey as it reminded me of myself.

My employer just started subsidizing WW and is starting an at work meeting and even for 1/2 price I can't bring myself to go to another meeting. They cycle through the same material year after year like organizing your refrigerator and pantry and as I tell my doctor I can actually lead a WW meeting if asked, I need to walk the talk so in a few months I plan to have an awesome before and after to post and stay at that "after" forever.

I have a few friends that are lifetime members and it works for them so they don't pay anything now and none has reported a bad experience, I told them they help the leaders keep the newbies coming back as they are an inspiration - I always thought the leaders loved to have lifetime members at their meetings.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I found converting everything to points WAY too tedious.
  • bfanny
    Options
    I found converting everything to points WAY too tedious.

That's cause u never "got it" is really simple ;)

• ThomasWright1997
    ThomasWright1997 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I can't see why anyone would join Weight Watchers, anyone care to enlighten me?
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I went to the local WW once, sunce my friend swore by it (she lives in another city so she goes somewhere else). Well, the one I have nearby gave me the most deferring experience. The receptionist completely ignored me for several minutes, not even a nod. After I asked her to tell me about WW, she pointed at a poster by the door (at which I'd been staring since I came in, waiting for her). I asked about the prices and why are the bundles getting cheaper and cheaper, the more services are in them. She just brushed it off, and later on I found out that once you pick the cheapest deal, you have to set up automatic payments, and many people have difficulties cancelling those payments if they decide to discontinue. It's nearly impossible to get reimbursed the money once withdrawn, and no one in their right mind would pick a non-automated withdrawal for double the price.

I know that my experience is not representative of all locations, but it was definitely a huge turn off for me, and I'm happy I got to MFP instead.
  • bfanny
    Options

Frankly, I can't see why anyone would join Weight Watchers, anyone care to enlighten me?

Here we go:
    First u learn to eat better, to make better choices, motivation, tips, obviously there is support (personal) accountability, therapy LOL
    A bit of everything...I know, i know is not for everybody but it's been out there for sooo long for a reason don't u think?

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Here we go:
    First u learn to eat better, to make better choices, motivation, tips, obviously there is support (personal) accountability, therapy LOL
    A bit of everything...I know, i know is not for everybody but it's been out there for sooo long for a reason don't u think?

Good marketing, good organisation and a lot of desperate people.
    I dont really have much problem with it as it works for some people, plus there are worse programs. Its also got the advantage of the real life group meetings. Not for me but i can see why it works for some. its still a system though.
    BDA verdict:
    The ProPoints plan is generally well balanced and can be a foundation for long-term changes in dietary habits. The support group approach can help keep people motivated and educate them about healthy eating. But it’s vital that you make the connection between the points system and calories if you want to avoid putting the weight back on once you leave the programme.