Home gym equipment for lifting

Options
Sthere
Sthere Posts: 59 Member
If I'm lifting on my own and do not have a spotter, what is my safest option? Also is powerhouse a decent brand? Any recommendations?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a power cage. I don't know much more on it really, sorry.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    If your looking for equipment, I would with Bow flex dumbbells, treadmill, bench
  • Sthere
    Options
    I already have power blocks. I am looking at benches and half cage vs. full cage.
  • Sthere
    Options
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Sthere wrote: »

That's a smith machine not a power/squat rack.

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I already have power blocks. I am looking at benches and half cage vs. full cage.

Dick's sporting goods. They have a Fitness Gear half rack for like $350. I have the full cage ($450+) and love it! I've been looking at Rogues cages and while they are really nice, they are a bit over priced in my opinion, but if you have it to spend, I don't think you could go wrong.

Half rack
    pDSP1-16738407p275w.jpg

Full Cage
    pDSP1-16571973p275w.jpg

• XavierNusum
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »

That's a smith machine not a power/squat rack.

I would pass on that. I see you out growing it quickly.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you might wanna spend a couple months in a gym checking out the various types of equipment and finding out what you like to do , before investing in a home gym.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options

Dick's sporting goods. They have a Fitness Gear half rack for like $350. I have the full cage ($450+) and love it! I've been looking at Rogues cages and while they are really nice, they are a bit over priced in my opinion, but if you have it to spend, I don't think you could go wrong.

Half rack
    pDSP1-16738407p275w.jpg

Full Cage
    pDSP1-16571973p275w.jpg

I have the half rack from Dick's.. I'm not planning on lifting more than 200lbs so it is sturdy enough for my goals. It is less intrusive than a full cage. And I like the pull-up placement better.
  • Sthere
    Options
    Thanks guys! you are so helpful. Yeah I don't want to spend a fortune. It would be nice to find something on craigslist, but I definitely do not want to buy something I can easily grow out of!
  • twinsbabyweight
    twinsbabyweight Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same half rack listed above plus a 300lb Olympic bar set & it's perfect for me! All you'd need would be a bench & maybe a few Dumbbells from there. I tried the Craigs List route too but everything was either huge or too small to get me very far. The half rack is very stable & I'm comfortable without a spotter.
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    The Fitness Gear half rack is gold! Honestly I love my cage, but if I had it to do again I'd get the half rack for space considerations. Also if ypu keep your eyes open Dick's will run 20% off specials quite often. That brings it down to about $300, can't beat it!!
  • ThomasWright1997
    ThomasWright1997 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If I'm lifting on my own and do not have a spotter, what is my safest option? Also is powerhouse a decent brand? Any recommendations?

Powerhouse is OK, some of there stuff is a touch dodgy. But you want a power rack or a half rack, PH do them, I got mine from there - the BodyCraft F430 its solid and the best rack they do