Food Scale. oz grms ml & tare

Options
I'm looking for a food scale that has these 4: oz, grms, ml and tare.
Thank you

Replies

• ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Most cheap digital scales you can buy online can be used to measure in oz and grams, and have a tare function. It shouldn't be possible to find a scale that measures in mL, since that is a unit of volume, not weight (ie, how much space it takes up, not how heavy it is. It's kind of strange, like asking for a scale that will measure weight in meters, for example).
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Oh. Thank you for the explanation.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Mine does all of them. It's on ozeri zk13-5pw. From target I believe. Fluid ounces. Lbs and ounces. Grams. Mls.tare button.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ammo7 wrote: »
    Most cheap digital scales you can buy online can be used to measure in oz and grams, and have a tare function. It shouldn't be possible to find a scale that measures in mL, since that is a unit of volume, not weight (ie, how much space it takes up, not how heavy it is. It's kind of strange, like asking for a scale that will measure weight in meters, for example).
    Many scales have ml because so many things have ml in the nutritional information and people want to use the scale for as many things as possible.

The way they manage to have ml (a unit of volume) on a scale that measures weight is they weight the grams, label it ml, and specify in the instructions that the scale can only measure ml for thin liquids with the consistency of water. That works because one ml of water weights 1 gram.

Personally, I just leave the scale on grams when I'm weighing thin liquids since g=ml on the scale.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Lots of scales have milliliters, but I never used that function. I do measure liquids by grams quite a lot, if I know I have the calories by grams, too. Why bother measuring? :)
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. My milk is measured in ml.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't even understand why they have the ml option... it's useless. You want to use a cup for liquids...

I only use the grams and tare buttons on mine.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I have the EatSmart scale- works great.
  • seska422
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I don't even understand why they have the ml option... it's useless. You want to use a cup for liquids...

For things like milk, pulpless juice, soda, anything with approximately the specific gravity of water, a scale works just fine. Plus, that way, I don't have to clean out a measuring cup. ;)

As an example, 240ml of milk weighs very close to 240 grams because milk is just about the same consistency as water. Therefore, measuring milk on a scale works.

If it's a thick liquid then you can't use the scale to get ml because 20ml of, say, ranch salad dressing weighs more than 20ml of water.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I just bought a "PErfect Portions" scale today. It does oz, grams, and has the tare function. It was 40 bux at Bed Bath and Beyond. You can also get them at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Portions-Digital-Nutrition-Display/dp/B003CMYV58

This one seems to have a calorie look up function, but that is not why I got it. I got this one over the Cuisinart (exact same price) because I liked the low profile. It is flat which stores very nicely in my cabinets.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

For things like milk, pulpless juice, soda, anything with approximately the specific gravity of water, a scale works just fine. Plus, that way, I don't have to clean out a measuring cup. ;)

As an example, 240ml of milk weighs very close to 240 grams because milk is just about the same consistency as water. Therefore, measuring milk on a scale works.

If it's a thick liquid then you can't use the scale to get ml because 20ml of, say, ranch salad dressing weighs more than 20ml of water.

I'm too lazy to go check but I'm quite sure that milk is heavier than water.
  • ClareDoherty42
    ClareDoherty42 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    50ml of milk weighs 80g. I measured it in a jug then poured it onto the cup on the scales so I didn't have to take both the jug and scale to work.
  • seska422
    edited August 2015
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

I'm too lazy to go check but I'm quite sure that milk is heavier than water.
    Yes, but not by much.

According to this link:

Density of Milk

milk weighs about 1035 kg per cubic meter. That means that 100 ml of milk weighs about 103.5 grams. In the article someone did a check, shown near the bottom of the page, and found that 236 ml of milk weighed 244.7 grams for that sample.

That's close enough for me. I would have a larger margin of error using a measuring cup.
  • velveteen7845
    velveteen7845 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have the Ozeri Pro scale and I love it. I got it from Amazon.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    putting ml on a scale just propagates stupidity