Under calorie goal, but not hungry??

Options
Recently I've been under my calorie goal, but honestly don't feel hungry at the end of the day. Like yesterday I only had around 900 calories I believe, but never felt the urge to eat more after dinner. I had breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a snack. (My diary is public for reference). I eat a lot of protein/good fat, and a small amount of carbs.
Just wondering how bad this is? I haven't talked to my doctor about it yet, so I'm asking here

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    It could be very bad eventually and imo could lead to binging. Also, I've noticed this is very common for some when they first start out on here. You should want to lose weight in a sustainable way meaning will you always be able to eat under 1100 calories in order to keep the weight off? You don't have to go to those extremes to lose weight.
  • dreamof_perfection
    dreamof_perfection Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good to know. I'm not really new here, but this issue is new to me. I'm not purposefully trying to eat under 1,000 calories it just happens. I don't feel the urge to snack because I'm simply not that hungry. It may be because I eat so much protein and it fills me up?
    I'm not looking to lose weight quickly, but healthily
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Good to know. I'm not really new here, but this issue is new to me. I'm not purposefully trying to eat under 1,000 calories it just happens. I don't feel the urge to snack because I'm simply not that hungry. It may be because I eat so much protein and it fills me up?

Happens to me, too, but then there are other days I go over, so it all evens out. Maybe go by the week instead of by the day.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

Ok.

Anyway, 1200 is the absolute minimum to reach and it's easy to reach.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    How'd you get into a position where you need to lose weight if 900 calories makes you feel full?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Riiiiiiiight ...

Because consistently undereating is what got us all here to the spot where we soooo needed to lose the weight.{smh}

HINT: That goes away soon enough. You will be hungry again, and at 900 calories I can bet my next paycheck that won't make it 2 weeks. Maybe not even 1.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    High (good) fat, moderate protein and low carb will fill you up and keep you satisfied longer than most ways of eating and actually is a very healthy way of eating. Also if your carbs are low enough that you've gone into ketosis your hunger will be gone. I would encourage you to still have a nice snack that fits with your way of eating - a slice of ham and cheese, nuts, an avocado. Main thing is don't stress over it. Eating when we aren't hungry got us here in the first place. Also, if you are smaller your calorie needs won't be as high as someone larger. Lots of opinions on here (and snarky comments) - ignore most of them. The way you are eating, along with avoiding most processed foods, is the absolutely best for long range health.
  • unrpack765
    unrpack765 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That happened to me a long time ago. I am not an expert but I noticed I was getting full easier. I started believing my stomach began to shrink! I could not eat as much as I usually did even if I tried. But Strong_curves is right, you want to be able to maintain the weight loss. 900 calories you may be starving your body or depriving..
  • dreamof_perfection
    Options
    Riiiiiiiight ...

Because consistently undereating is what got us all here to the spot where we soooo needed to lose the weight.{smh}

HINT: That goes away soon enough. You will be hungry again, and at 900 calories I can bet my next paycheck that won't make it 2 weeks. Maybe not even 1.

Alright no need to be condescending. I am literally not feeling hunger even though I know I'm not reading my caloric goal, that's why I'm asking if it's happened to other people. Chill dude
  • dreamof_perfection
    Options
    unrpack765 wrote: »
    That happened to me a long time ago. I am not an expert but I noticed I was getting full easier. I started believing my stomach began to shrink! I could not eat as much as I usually did even if I tried. But Strong_curves is right, you want to be able to maintain the weight loss. 900 calories you may be starving your body or depriving..
    Good to know I'm not the only one, I feel like a freak! I'll make sure to eat more even if i don't feel hungry
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It happens to me quite often, my go to's are a table spoon of nut butter or some smoked salmon. Maybe 10 brazil nuts as well. All high in calories to get you to a healthy calorie range without being a large amount of food to eat.

It's just a phase and passes. Like you'll have phases where you could eat a scabby horse so to speak.
  • JoAnnRyan123
    JoAnnRyan123 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree, add more cals even if youre not hungry
    I go for proteins & veggies when this happens to me

Oh and beer lol but I do Not recommend that

Be sure to bring up your decreased appetite with your dr as well. If it goes on for more than 3 consecutive weeks, call and make an appt for just that reason
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It's not going to hurt you one bit as long as it's not every day. You're learning to listen to your body and that's a good thing. On another day you'll be more hungry and can eat a little extra. Like another poster said, look at the weekly average, not just the day. I kind of think it's silly to eat more just to get to 1200 if you're not hungry.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I have 900 days and 1500 days. It happens. I'm not equally hungry every single day, so there is no reason to assume I should eat the same amount of food each and every day.

Take a look at your weeks and months as a whole. If you're on target for the week, let it be.

If you're routinely under eating and need more calories, have some juice. It is healthy, won't make you feel stuffed and is high-cal, so it's really easy to sneak a couple hundred calories in with juice. :)
  • jms5137
    jms5137 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine eating 900 and not being hungry. I'm eating 1600/day right now and I often get pretty hungry! I'm hoping that will get better with time; I've only been consistent with this for about 2 weeks now
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest weighing all your food in grammes as this will give you a more accurate idea of how many calories you're actually eating. You might find that you're getting enough as it is.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Is it hot where you live?

Many people experience a loss of appetite during the summer. We are having 100 degree days where I live...some days just too hot to eat. I have had several days over the past month where I didn't get all of my calories in. Then one day I got hungry...ate at maintenance level for a few days and now I am back on track.

Try some ice cream or frozen yogurt bars if you think heat might be the problem. Add some cheese...make a fruit smoothie...
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I'm another one who doesn't get very hungry at all when it's hot and humid. Now winter is a whole different story . . .