weighing food

Options
hat5657
hat5657 Posts: 1 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Do you weigh meat before or after cooking, i.e, if eating 4oz meat is it 4oz raw or after grilled or baked?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Before.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Depends on what the data is. Here (in the UK) things very often have the cooked nutritional values on the label, but if I'm trawling through MFP's crazy database I use the raw data.
  • ElisaJtsu
    ElisaJtsu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    After, as I put my plate on the scales, so I can weigh everything I serve up. I just make sure I get the correct nutritional info.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    When it's possible, I weigh it after it's cooked. But if it's going to be mixed up with other stuff so that it can't be weighed independently after cooking, I will weigh it raw and log the raw meat as part of the recipe.

My dietitian advised weighing things after they're cooked and, honestly, I prefer to log what I'm actually eating. I get better totals on everything that way, so that's how I do it.

Most people here weigh things raw.

It's really a personal preference. Just make sure you old raw weights with raw entries and cooked weights with cooked ones, whichever you choose.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    As the person above said. Raw weights with raw entries and cooked weight with cooked entries. I choose raw because I believe it to be more accurate. Takes out some of the variables. An 8 ounce steak for example could be 6.5 ounces medium rare or 5 ounces medium depending upon the fat content of the steak.
  • 1linde
    1linde Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I weigh mine after, I usually log the cooked calorie count as it can differ especially for beef. I buy vacuum packed organic chicken breasts and don't weigh them typically realizing they may be 4 to 6 ounces and just count them as 5 ounces in my total and figure over time it just averages out fine over the week.