Walking is amazing!

Options
I'm celebrating the first day of August with my first 10 lbs. lost! And all I've done is walk 10,000 steps (most days), stick to my calorie goals, and most importantly shown myself some grace by throwing in some beer, wine, and dessert. :) If you're looking for an easy way to shed those first few pounds, walking is an awesome way to do that! Pedometers are really easy to find on your phone, and for most people 10,000 steps = 500 calories... um, yes! If anyone needs an extra buddy to start this journey with, send me a friend request! My diary entries are always public so you can see the good (and not so good :P) stuff I'm eating!
Celebrate you, celebrate summer, and celebrate life!

Replies

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first 10 pounds! What a great accomplishment!
  • whee1234
    whee1234 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I like to walk too!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Walking or hiking is my favorite, so I get what you are saying :)
  • capati127
    capati127 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That's amazing dude!
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I'm celebrating the first day of August with my first 10 lbs. lost! And all I've done is walk 10,000 steps (most days), stick to my calorie goals, and most importantly shown myself some grace by throwing in some beer, wine, and dessert. :) If you're looking for an easy way to shed those first few pounds, walking is an awesome way to do that! Pedometers are really easy to find on your phone, and for most people 10,000 steps = 500 calories... um, yes! If anyone needs an extra buddy to start this journey with, send me a friend request! My diary entries are always public so you can see the good (and not so good :P) stuff I'm eating!
    WELL DONE!

I love to walk and make trips to the market and other such places as part of my daily routines.
    When I go off road, my "walk" becomes a "hike"...lol
    It's easy on the body and good for the mind.

• enkiemonkey
    enkiemonkey Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This is what I'm doing and I've lost 6 lbs in 13 days!

For the days when I don't have 10,000 steps I will walk in place at home until I hit 10,000. My iPhone records those steps.

For days that I do hit 10,000 I do a bit toning while watching tv. Usually I will pick a target area (like arms) until I fatigue those muscles. This has worked so far. But until I keep my 30 day streak I won't say it's a habit. My goal is to keep it up for 30 days then adjust anything if necessary.
  • lfrancis218
    lfrancis218 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 10lb loss! That's awesome!!!
    I love walking. It's too hot here to go for walks outside so I've been popping in my favorite fast beat music and hitting the treatmill. My 9 and 6 year old like to do calestenics with me every morning.. the 9 year old always turns it into a competition.
  • Reema_capricorn
    Reema_capricorn Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    Walking is so therapeutic!! I enjoy my evening walks in a park :)
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I agree. Walking is an excellent low impact exercise that many people can do without any real problems. It is also beneficial (in my opinion) to use a heart rate monitor with your walking. That way, you can see where your heart rate zone is and adjust accordingly throughout the walk.
  • JimBad05
    JimBad05 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Walking is so therapeutic!! I enjoy my evening walks in a park :)

Same here. I used to think it was kind of boring to walk the same route every time, so now I just download some podcasts and go for it. It's a much better way to get entertainment than sitting at home on the couch
  • gtgal2014
    gtgal2014 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I'm new at this so not sure how to respond but wanted to say congrats on losing 10 lbs. I am fairly new to MFP and am trying to find a way to stick with walking. I would like to track my steps but have not found a way that works for me as yet. Hoping to find one soon.
  • Fit4me78
    Fit4me78 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I walk 5 to 6 days a week for almost 2 hours a day and I usually average around 6-7 miles I've been doing that for almost 2 years now and I've enjoyed every bit of it and seeing all the the changed from it when I first started my legs were so huge and now there getting toned and I'm also going to start swimming and going to a gym as well
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I love my jawbone activity tracker! It really motivates me to be active - at least until I've hit 10k steps :)

My record is 34k steps.

I do think it's helped me lose weight - I'm far more prone to go for a walk in the afternoon to reach my steps.

• 0xbalthamosx0
    0xbalthamosx0 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thats brill well done hun. Keep it going x