positive pregnancy test hormones?

Options
Hey guys

For the longest time i thought i could not have a baby. I was 410 pounds and never had a regular cycle. Anyways i lost weight and am 250 but still overweight. This last year my periods have been around the same maybe a few days apart.
I am now 2 weeks late and decided to take a test because my boobs have been a little sensitive. I took a pregnancy test and two lines so positive. But its not sinking in my head. I feel like it could be hormones because of my weight loss and i dont feel pregnant. I cramp sometimes but feels like a period coming. I have a appointment tuesday but its raking my mind. My bf wants to tell everyone but im scared its not true or a chemical pregnancy. Anyone ever been through this ? thanks

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    There are very few medical conditions that can show up as positive pregnancy test, assuming you are not taking any meds. So, chances are, you are pregnant :) Now, as for it being a chemical pregnancy or something going wrong, only time will tell, but thsi is a risk with every pregnancy.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I hope you have good news. Tell your bf to be quiet. This is too early to announce.
  • monkeystikx
    monkeystikx Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Wait till tues to see the doctor to be sure. But those pregnancy tests now a days are very accurate and precise.
  • Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    There are very few medical conditions that can show up as positive pregnancy test, assuming you are not taking any meds. So, chances are, you are pregnant :) Now, as for it being a chemical pregnancy or something going wrong, only time will tell, but thsi is a risk with every pregnancy.

i take no medicine but i smoke ive stopped since it showed up pos
  • LKArgh
    edited August 2015
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

i take no medicine but i smoke ive stopped since it showed up pos

Then you have no reason to suspect there is anything wrong. False negatives are common in pregnancy tests. False positives do not exist. There are few meds (like hormonal treatments) and few very rare medical conditions (e.g. some tumors) that could cause a "false' positive, but it would be super paranoid to think it could be happenign to you. So, congratulations :)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    The hormone being tested in a pregnancy test is hcg (human chorionic gonadotropin) and is only released by the body when the fertilized egg implants in the uterine wall. It's been my experience with pregnancy tests that when you're pregnant, those lines come up quick. So it sounds like you are pregnant, but I was a worrywart as well, so I understand wanting to go to the doctor for confirmation with a blood test. We didn't actually tell anyone except our parents until we were out of the first trimester in case of miscarriage.

FWIW, neither of my pregnancies seemed real to me for a long time, at least until I started showing and feeling movement. I didn't start to show until 18+ weeks with both of mine, so there was a lot of it not feeling real - luckily I got terrific nausea with both to remind me. :D I hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Those tests are pretty accurate these days.

Announcing any pregnancy before you are into the second trimester is a VERY bad idea. Talk to your boyfriend about keeping it to himself!
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Congratulations <3. I am in the camp that you wait to share the news until the 2nd trimester.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Congratulations!

Wait until it's really sunk in and you two have worked through your plans for the three of you before you announce it. :)

Enjoy this time! This is the last time your life is going to be about you. Really! Do some things now, while your body still feels like yours. Once that baby is born, your life is never the same!! Do YOU stuff NOW. This is the last chance you will have for the rest of your life. Even when they grow up and move out, you never stop thinking about them. So enjoy!!

This is also the easiest it will ever be to take care of that baby. Eat healthy food, take vitamins and see the doctor. That's it! :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Its unlikely to be a false positive I must admit the times ive thought I was pregnant I had more symptoms than when I actually was. Congrats to you both and don't shout it out just yet look after yourself x
  • ashypashy7
    ashypashy7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!!! I was 300 lbs for my first pregnancy and had zero issues, no high blood pressure or sugars, nothing at all! I didnt feel pregnant until I felt kicks, its very surreal! CONGRATS again!
  • ashypashy7
    ashypashy7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Those tests are pretty accurate these days.

Announcing any pregnancy before you are into the second trimester is a VERY bad idea. Talk to your boyfriend about keeping it to himself!

No it isnt. Second tri is not a magic number that means nothing will happen. If something did happen before then it doesnt mean her pregnancy didnt happen.

I say tell everyone when your ready, thats the best time!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Sure, but it is much less likely that bad things will happen after the first trimester.

A friend of mine, and her husband, told EVERYBODY about her first pregnancy. When she had a miscarriage, that made the whole situation much worse. She had to answer questions from near strangers for six months afterwards. It did not help her emotional healing process.

It's private--nobody needs to know until you are ready and it's safer to share the news. Not to mention that telling the whole world the instant that you know is rather gauche. It isn't anybody's business.
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If you've got a positive test you are pregnant!

Whether or not you chose to tell anyone this early is your decision alone. There is nothing wrong about telling people early if that is what you want to do. If you feel it would be upsetting to have to explain to people that you have miscarried on the chance you do have one, you may chose to wait until you have an ultrasound a bit later in the pregnancy. You could chose to just tell people very close to you, but be aware most people are not very good at keeping a secret. Having had 5 miscarriages myself, I've experienced just about every situation and can say for me there was no wrong or right way. People were very understanding and kind, and I felt just fine talking to people about it. By my final pregnancy, which ended in the birth of my son, I decided not to tell anyone until nearly 20 weeks. I didn't want people to be nervous for us.
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that is very unlikely to be a positive result if that isn't the truth. If you're going to get an inaccurate reading it's more likely to be the other way round. So congratulations.

Calm your fella down a bit. Tell people when you are both ready. Most wait until 2nd trimester - but if that isn't the right time for you then do it differently - your body, your pregnancy, so your choice.

From an outsider point of view - as so many people wait to say something, when you know early, a pregnancy can last forever! If the couple wait a bit the pregnancy only lasts 6 months (max), if they tell you as soon as they know (like my best friend that's due next month) then wow - 9 months is a long time :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Sure, but it is much less likely that bad things will happen after the first trimester.

A friend of mine, and her husband, told EVERYBODY about her first pregnancy. When she had a miscarriage, that made the whole situation much worse. She had to answer questions from near strangers for six months afterwards. It did not help her emotional healing process.

It's private--nobody needs to know until you are ready and it's safer to share the news. Not to mention that telling the whole world the instant that you know is rather gauche. It isn't anybody's business.

The best advice I've heard on this is only to tell people early on whom you would want to tell if you have a miscarriage.
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!!
    I told people I was pregnant from 3 weeks!
    I did wait until I was 12 weeks with the twins before I told the world, but most people knew.
    We have no family history of miscarriage.
    My step sister does and she waited until she was 20 weeks.

Cramping in a pregnancy is normal
    It's from when it plants it's self to the wall. What happens in about the first few weeks.
  • Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor and i am pregnant. Wanted to make sure before telling people. We did announce it yesterday i am 6 weeks still early but why start this pregnancy assuming the worst i know a miscarriage can happen. But it can also be smooth and in may i have a baby<3<3<3<3 hope so. Thanks everyone for the help.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    I went to the doctor and i am pregnant. Wanted to make sure before telling people. We did announce it yesterday i am 6 weeks still early but why start this pregnancy assuming the worst i know a miscarriage can happen. But it can also be smooth and in may i have a baby<3<3<3<3 hope so. Thanks everyone for the help.

That's the spirit :) Bad things happen all the time. If you start a pregnancy expecting to miscarry you might as well expect to be hit by a car every time you get out of the house. Enjoy it and do not stress yourself.