NO Junk Food JUNE Challenge

Options
The goal is to avoid junk food for the entire month of june. can you do it?

"Junk food is actually a slang word for fast food. Any food that contains very less nutritional value is called as a 'junk food', which ultimately makes it an unhealthy food. Basically, any food item containing higher levels of sugar, salt and/or fats; is considered as a junk food. Junk food contains very little amounts of enzymes, vitamins and minerals, which are essential for a healthy body. Rather, junk food is loathed with calories, that lead to many health related issues. All these things make junk food an unhealthy food option, which can also lead to several lifelong diseases like obesity, diabetes and heart diseases.

Any food item containing more than 35% calories from fat as well as sugar, more than 10% calories from saturated fats, more than 200mg salt per serving and more than 200 calories per serving; is a JUNK FOOD!"
-http://www.buzzle.com/articles/junk-food-list.html

Can you do it? Give it a try and let's see what we can do!!!

Replies

• milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat that way regularly.
  • tukrainets
    tukrainets Posts: 119
    Options
    does that include starbucks sandwhiches along with subway?? either way, i'm in!
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I eat this way most of the time too, but I commend you for doing this! It's so important to success to avoid all that processed junk!

Good luck!!!!
  • MilisaMote
    MilisaMote Posts: 28
    Options
    I am going to try this .... umm lets see if i am successful.
  • SlowlyLosingLolita
    SlowlyLosingLolita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Sure, I'm in!
    I've been wanting to try and not eat so much processed stuff anyways, and I think feeling like it's a challenge will help me.
  • north35
    north35 Posts: 70
    Options
    Ohhhhhhh good challenge........camping season is hard for me. I am IN!!
  • theseagull
    theseagull Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'll try to give it a try.

THANKS A LOT
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    exactly Milaxx! let's see, I may have a "junk food" once in a great while, I just bought some baked potato chips that claim to be 65% less fat than regular...
    "KETTLE" brand, no trans fat
    non-GMO
    no preservatives
    gluten free
    only natural oils (sunflower)
    20 chips are 120 calories

do you guys consider this "bad"?

I typically stick to raw earthy foods and lean fish/poultry, it's just that I crave the crispiness of chips/crackers sometimes!!

usually I will substitute baby carrots for the crunch I crave!!!

anyway, good luck with your challenge Dr. Man:wink:
  • hopebuck
    hopebuck Posts: 138
    Options
    I WANT IN!!!!!!!!!

I try to eat this way as well, but chips and french fries can be my down fall......... how are we holding each other accountable? are we? :tongue:
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    Do es that mean my V8 is a junk food b/c of the sodium? for the most part i have found that I can eat up to 3500mg of sodium and not have any problems as long as I drink my water. I have low blood pressure and low colesterol. Most doctors say sodium doesn't matter at all until after you are 30.

Reguardless, I wish you all the best of luck. But the challenge isn't for me. I can't give up my mini candies or other sweet treats completely.
  • DrMan
    DrMan Posts: 86
    Options
    I WANT IN!!!!!!!!!

I try to eat this way as well, but chips and french fries can be my down fall......... how are we holding each other accountable? are we? :tongue:

Any Ideas for accountability? Honor system is the only way of course. Just try and see how you do...you can post daily, weekly, and end of month success
  • k1r5ty23
    k1r5ty23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'll give it a go...odd treat here and there gunna be real challenge to say no too....we'll see how long I last :)
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'll try too....except for watching the salt. I have low blood pressure and its actually a good thing for me to have salt. (I'm in Canada, we don't have mediction to counter-act the low blood pressure black outs and dizziness.)
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    I think "junk food" should be enjoyed in moderation in the context of proper daily nutrition. I don't think junk food should be categorized by foods high in sugar, salt, and fats, but rather food that is calorically dense and lacks any real micronutrients. I enjoy ice cream, kids cereal, pop tarts, etc. on a DAILY basis in moderation.