A Guide to Logging Recipes Accurately

Options
vinegar_husbands
vinegar_husbands Posts: 1,499 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I've noticed that people here often get confused when logging recipes, so I thought I would write this up. Feel free to ask anything.

qlics94h5ryd.png

Replies

• conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I always just take the weight of a serving as a portion of the overall weight... like I'll leave it at 4 servings or whatever and just weigh out my total and my serving, then use division as necessary when I log it (as 1.35 servings or whatever it comes out to) but your way is faster for sure. I'll have to remember that.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I find when I go back into the recipe to edit the servings that it doesn't save the new amount. So, I'll put 4 servings in there (or whatever it is), then save it. At the end, I'll weight the total amount and try to change 4 servings to 430, for example, but it doesn't save the updated servings. You haven't had any issues with that?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    yeah, updating recipes on MFP is just... right now it's not working! I guess we've got to write it all down on paper until we're certain everything's correct, then enter it in.
  • pooks1976
    pooks1976 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What do you do about oils? I deep fried some chicken for orange chicken and couldn't think of a good way to account for oil absorption.
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    pooks1976 wrote: »
    What do you do about oils? I deep fried some chicken for orange chicken and couldn't think of a good way to account for oil absorption.

Would measuring the oil before you fry and after you fry and subtracting the difference tell you how much ended up in your chicken?
  • cld111
    Options
    cld111 wrote: »
    I find when I go back into the recipe to edit the servings that it doesn't save the new amount. So, I'll put 4 servings in there (or whatever it is), then save it. At the end, I'll weight the total amount and try to change 4 servings to 430, for example, but it doesn't save the updated servings. You haven't had any issues with that?

I've never had that issue, but it seems that others tend to have the same problem. I checked and edited the serving size just now, and it worked for me.

Hm, I usually use my computer, but maybe next time I'll use my phone and see if that works. Great guide, by the way!
  • pooks1976
    pooks1976 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    cabwj wrote: »
    pooks1976 wrote: »

Would measuring the oil before you fry and after you fry and subtracting the difference tell you how much ended up in your chicken?

I thought about that. I was just hoping that there was an easier way. It is a bit of a pain, because I can't move the deep fryer. I was also thinking that the frying oil seems to pick up alot of stuff in the frying process, some oil is lost to the air, some of it is absorbed in the paper towel under the food, and some of it never makes it out of the deep fryer to measure.
  • cld111
    Options

I've never had that issue, but it seems that others tend to have the same problem. I checked and edited the serving size just now, and it worked for me.

Hm, I usually use my computer, but maybe next time I'll use my phone and see if that works. Great guide, by the way!

I don't use MFP's phone app. Perhaps it has to do something with my choice of internet browser? I doubt there's that many people on MFP who use Chrome on a mac...

Thanks!

That's exactly what I use! ha. Guess it's not that then.