anesthesia and scale effects

Options
Hi Community!
I just had surgery yesterday and had my wisdom teeth removed... All four. I was put under general anesthesia. I woke up this morning and gained 4 lbs. I know it's not real weight gain. But does anyone else's body do this? I feel incredibly bloated as well and I don't know how to get rid of it. I am on a strong liquid diet, and today I couldn't stomach over 1000 calories.
Thoughts and suggestions? I also would like to get back to working out? Maybe just walking in 2 days? Does that seem reasonable?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Did they give you an IV?
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Did they give you an IV?

This. I get saline bloat from IVs. Unless your surgeon told you not to, walking should be fine the day after getting your wisdom teeth out. Just bring someone along if you're taking pain meds.
  • Sheseeksstrength
    Sheseeksstrength Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    They did give me an IV, it's a littl odd because I have been eating less than I'm burning, by a total of 1000 calories net, but I'm gaining weight on the scale.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Did you eat 14,000 calories yesterday? You'll be back to normal in a few days :)
  • Sheseeksstrength
    Options
    Oh, I know, I haven't been eating enough for real weight gain, I just don't understand why I am gaining despite eating less.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Oh, I know, I haven't been eating enough for real weight gain, I just don't understand why I am gaining despite eating less.

Are you saying you're gaining in general or that you gained those lbs after you had your wisdom teeth removed?
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Extra fluid from IV, water retention from drugs, and swelling from the surgery will all factor in. Just worry about getting better now! You'll be back to normal soon.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Because you had fluids. Not rocket science. You can add quite a bit of weight with IV fluids. I just don't understand how so many people don't understand the relationship between fluid balance and the number on the scale...
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    Because you had fluids. Not rocket science. You can add quite a bit of weight with IV fluids. I just don't understand how so many people don't understand the relationship between fluid balance and the number on the scale...

All.of.this.
  • Sheseeksstrength
    Options

Are you saying you're gaining in general or that you gained those lbs after you had your wisdom teeth removed?

Just since the surgery, not before!

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Not sure--I never step on the scale right after I have surgery.

Walking should be fine as soon as you feel up to it.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Also depending on the type of IV fluids they gave, that alone could be cause for water retention. I was hooked up to sodium chloride for a few hours and I literally weighed 8 lbs more the next day. Also, anesthesia can slow things down sometimes in regards to the bowel movement department. I'm sure that alone isn't a factor, though. I'd say probably due to the fluids.
  • Sheseeksstrength
    Options
    Thank you!