Help! Weighing issues!

Options
sammiebeatty
sammiebeatty Posts: 10 Member
edited July 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hello, I'm new to this app and I'm really struggling with the weighing aspect of it all.

For example, if making food for myself, do I weigh the likes of pasta before or after being cooked? And potatoes, before or after?

It's all so much to take in at once. Thanks in advance. :)

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh everything before I cook it, but always with pasta because it's hard to say what exactly one serving weighs after it's cooked.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The more you do it the easier it gets.
    Beware, statements containing "always" are always wrong.
    Weigh pasta before you cook it.
    General rule: Weigh everything before cooking, but, depending on your style you'll probably find instances where it makes more sense not to. For example, I roast whole beets as soon as I bring them home from the grocery store and weigh the cooked beets as I use them. Different ingredients are easier than others. You'll see as you become familiar with the database.

Don't sweat it and use your common sense.

Welcome aboard. :smiley:
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    There are often both raw and cooked weights for goods like rice, pasta, beans, veggies, etcetera. Just choose which one fits your situation!
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Pasta before, veggies and meat after (IMO)- and I make sure I log specifically raw or cooked, because it makes a difference. 6 oz raw chicken weighs less once cooked.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Always before cooking when I'm only cooking for myself.
  • sammiebeatty
    sammiebeatty Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ah thank you everyone for the help! :)