How can I break free from food cravings?

Options
Just let my cravings win out---sm. Dairy Queen blizzard....650 calories ouch!!!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Don't go :) I know they must be marvelous but just don't go, unless you can make them fit into your daily calorie allotment. Just don't go, simple.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Are your cravings born from you being truly hungry, or because you are bored, depressed, <insert reason here>?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm glad I didn't go for Miracle Treat Day. That never would have fit.

Work something into your goals as your calories/macros permit you to.
  • lynlittles3
    lynlittles3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Are your cravings born from you being truly hungry, or because you are bored, depressed, <insert reason here>?
    Really neither bored nor depressed. We were driving by, my husband mentioned one and I let the sweet tooth take over.
  • trulyjoyouswoman
    trulyjoyouswoman Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I found some cravings were what my body was deficient in. Things that I checked had vitamin d, potassium, iron and be vitamins or trace amounts of minerals I was low in so I made sure I ate that substance in a healthy way. There is even a feel good chemical and trace minerals in chocolate could be explained as a nutrient need. I would buy a Hershey bar and share it with my sons and husband so we each had two small bars of it since it is split into eight little bars.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Really neither bored nor depressed. We were driving by, my husband mentioned one and I let the sweet tooth take over.

As long as it isn't a regular occurrence that takes you over your daily allotment, I don't see the problem, so long as you were hungry. If you were eating when you weren't hungry, that is a different story.
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Look into the Ketogenic diet. You will have zero cravings for sugars or carbs. Will be a thing of the past
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

It's really just getting out of the habit of snacking whenever something sounds good and forcing yourself to be more mindful about it and really choosing to indulge on an occasion when it fits and/or is really worth it.

If the issue was you didn't know the calories, now you do, and that will make it much easier to resist. (I used to eat this caramels in my office by the handful, not because they were so resistible, but because I figured how many calories could they have? Once I learned, it was much easier to resist!)

If the issue was forgetting you were watching your diet, you will get used to it. Expect occasional slip ups at first and don't beat yourself up or use it as an excuse to go way off plan and start again later. Just log it and try to stick to your calories otherwise.

If it was a matter of feeling super tempted, consider what the triggers are and prepare for them. Maybe write down how you are feeling when you want to eat or go for a walk or write down the positive things about changing how you eat. If it helps, perhaps ask your husband to make it easier for you at first by not suggesting tempting treats.

It really does get easier.
  • SusanMintz1
    SusanMintz1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just find a way to reduce the portion. You don't have to eat the whole thing. Eat half then throw the rest away. If you feel guilty about throwing away food, you could give it to a homeless person on the corner. Germs are probably the least of their worries. :) Count it as one of your meals. I know I've had a blizzard for dinner more than once. Then go out and walk. Or try that cool Ketogenic diet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea--maybe ask your husband if he wants to share one, next time, and just have a little.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I actually have a habit of getting a blizzard (or something similar at a local shop here), and i eat, like, a third or a quarter of it, then throw it into the freezer, eat some the next day after thawing it a bit, repeat until gone. It's not EXACTLY the same as freshly made, but the difference is minimal.

Or i eat the whole thing and move right along, lol.
  • southeRNurse2016
    southeRNurse2016 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    One treat every once in awhile isn't going to make you gain a lot of weight. If you deprive yourself, THEN you will backslide. Don't make a habit out of it.
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Have a long talk to hubby!!!
    When My husband wants high cal food he does it when he is on his own or at work. His chocolate is at work and all his takeaway food is it lunch far sat away from me.
    Hubby understands that I am cutting out that food and knows not to ask me if I want it too.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    "No, thanks, but maybe I'll take a couple of bites of yours."

You just have to decide whether that Blizzard is more important than maintaining your calorie goal.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Wow, I'm glad I didn't go for Miracle Treat Day. That never would have fit.

Work something into your goals as your calories/macros permit you to.

This.

It all comes down to choices based on your goals, and remember...you never have to have it all. You can share a treat with someone else too, or simply eat half and save the rest for tomorrow.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I can tell if you open your diary.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options

Ah ok, then its simply a matter of commitment. Avoid temptation! Don't let your husband undermine you. Eat fruit instead. Eat more fruit.

Once there's a hint of desire in your head, its pretty to get rid of. Make it an enemy and don't entertain it.

• GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If you are new to working towards a healthy lifestyle then at first you just have to tell yourself no. It comes down to willpower and going without even if you don't want to, until you get things in check and your body gets used to a new way of being fed. Later you can make some of those types of choices because you can work it into your day or because you really are choosing...but at first you just have to say no. No one can do it for you, but you can do it for yourself. And you are worth doing it for.
  • Remaking_Me
    Remaking_Me Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    21 days on the Daniel diet.
    Walk away from processed foods forever and your body will only crave what it needs instead of what your chemically addicted to.
    NO JOKE.
    I've gone through the process 4 times and gone back to bad eating within 3 month.....restarted the cravings. Each time I get closer and closer to the permanent switch.

Just keep swimming :)
  • Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance, and when my diet gets out of control, I cut out starchy foods and high sugar foods for a while to turn off the cravings and get back on track. After a couple of weeks of unlimited non-starchy veggies, meat, eggs, and cheese I can start adding the "safe" (for me) carbs back. I find that I can eat standard sized servings of most of the common non-sweet starchy foods, except potatoes other than sweet potatoes, without restarting the cravings. Potatoes and most high sugar foods are risky. I can get away with having a half cup of ice cream from time to time, but your Dairy Queen blizzard would probably push me over the edge.