Please Help a newcomer on a breakfast diet plan

Options
I'm currently 220lb, 5 ft 7in, and 21 years old college student. Because my classes start at 8 am in the morning, I can't spend much time on preparing food. I'm targeting to lose about 80 lb in about 6-7 months.

I hear that oatmeal is good, but then I also hear that the instant ones aren't that healthy, and dealing with cooking (in the morning only) is something I would try to avoid as much as possible. So I was wondering if one grapefruit and a low-fat Greek yogurt is enough for breakfast. For the coming semester, my schedules are much empty during afternoon, thus I tend to finish my last class at about 12 pm. So I'll be needing about 4 hours without feeling hungry.

I'm also planning on taking vitamin B in the morning as well as 5-7 cups of green tea per day (breakfast, lunch and dinner). I faintly remember hearing from a doctor that my body needs supplementary support for good metabolism. Green tea, I just happened to find about its effect on metabolism during I was surfing online.

In addition, I would start my first 2 weeks of diet with a light-pace walk or jogging for 30 mins, then would start to target at about 3 miles a day.

Please let me know if my plan is good. I've thought of losing weight for numerous times, but they all resulted in failure, and I have never felt more dedicated than I am now. I want to make this dedication my last chance and never having to quit again.

Much appreciation in advance.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Think of it as a lifestyle change, not a diet.

Stop labeling foods healthy and unhealthy; everything is unhealthy in abundance.

Green tea doesn't boost your metabolism - why would you take nutrition advice from a doctor? Would you take computer advice from a mechanic?

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Gealthy weight loss 1-2lb a week. 80lb in 7 months is nearly 3lbs a week i,e too aggressive and a bit overambitious.

Oats take 3 minutes or less imo. Microwave them. there ar a zillion variations. They are cheap and nutrutious plus complex carbs with a good balance of fibre protein and carbs. they are a near superfood. Loads of others will give you better advice and their variations. I like oats and you can add or take to keep them interesting.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    Options

Stop labeling foods healthy and unhealthy; everything is unhealthy in abundance.

Green tea doesn't boost your metabolism - why would you take nutrition advice from a doctor? Would you take computer advice from a mechanic?

To be fair, the OP "learned" about green tea from the Internet, not from her doctor. Her doctor just said she needed supplemental support, which from an M.D. probably means a daily multivitamin, but it would have been helpful if the doctor was more specific, or if the OP paid attention if the advice was more specific.
  • qkrzazzang
    qkrzazzang Posts: 67 Member
    Options

It wasn't nutrition advice, but I happened to have heard during consultation about my blood test result and other things not related to dieting. You are right. Why would I go see a doctor just to get nutrition advice?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    Options
    Oh, and you can prep plain, traditional (not instant) oats the night before (google overnight oats), or in the microwave in the morning, or mix them in the morning with yogurt and/or milk (depending on your texture preference), fruits, and nuts and eat them cold just a few minutes later as muesli.

Not that there's anything wrong with yogurt and fruit for breakfast if you like it and it keeps you going until the next time you eat.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    instant oatmeal isnt as nutritious as just plain oatmeal and might be more calorific due to added sugar. Still better than a lot of breakfast cereals.

If you eat a normal balanced diet then you dont really need a multivitamin, but many people take one. ignore the green tea imo but many people take soem form of fish oil.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    To share what i do, which has worked with GREAT success: Get the GNC Total Lean™ Lean Shakes! I have tried the Chocolate Peanut Butter, Cookies and Cream and French Vanilla (which I add frozen berries). I have never been a shake person - always wanted food, not a shake. However, these shakes have such a high protein content they do keep you full. I mix mine with Almond/Coconut milk. If you feel like you may want food to satify, bring some fruit - cherries or grapes....they are eaten individually so they take longer and are less messy since you'll be in class.

Green tea is going to make you pee like crazy.

For other meals, I use my spiralizer to make zoodles - zucchini pasta. Trick is, just keep loading your plate up with veggies and accompany with a lean meat.

Are you trying to sell stuff?
  • cairnsmom
    cairnsmom Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Assuming you don't like in the dorms....

Egg Sandwich
    1 egg cooked in microwave, roughly a minute depending on your preference (about 70-90 calories) (Egg Beaters is 20 calories per 1/4 cup). You google how to do this.
    Whole wheat sandwich thin, whole wheat English muffin, etc, toasted or not (about 110 calories). You can also make it a wrap with whole wheat tortilla.
    You can add in cheese and/or meat, put a tiny amount of spread (butter, jam, etc) on the bread...
    I'll make a couple of these at a time, wrap each in parchment paper and place in a baggie, then in the fridge. My husband pops one in the microwave for 1 minute, and away he goes. So you could make up a week's worth and freeze or just prep one the night before.

Greek yogurt with fruit added
    Cottage cheese with fruit and/or toast
    Nut butter (almond, peanut, cashew, etc) sandwich....on whole wheat

Smoothie...Target has a frozen mix with kale, avocado, peach, banana...no added sugar....2 servings per bag. I added cottage cheese (you could add greek yogurt) for protein, chia seeds, stevia to sweeten, and a bit of unsweetened almond milk to liquefy it. I also purchased a smoothie maker (Oster, I think) at Target for $20.

Toss a handful of nuts (weighed out, of course) in a snack baggie to munch on between classes, if necessary.

Be sure to weigh and log whatever you eat....lettuce to lasagna, carrots to cake, plain popcorn to pizza.

Best wishes making your goals. :-)

• sevans85mfp
    sevans85mfp Posts: 25 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I wouldn't be able to go 4 hours on a grapefruit and Greek yogurt. I think I would be so hungry I'd end up buying something.

There are plenty of breakfast options that are easy and good for you. I find eggs for be very filling and they don't take me long to cook.

But for easy fast options you have so many cereals/bread and don't restrict yourself. The less ingredients the more filling I find. Plain oats for example. I'd set yourself a breakfast target calories....then stick to that and don't feel restricted to the same breakfast each morning.

If your having 1500 calories a day then you can have breakfast and lunch 400 each, dinner 500. Then 2 100 calorie snack. Just do what works for you.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You only need B supplements at your age if you are low in your blood tests.... otherwise you will just pee out any excess your body doesn't need (except the niacin for instance). I take a Super B complex with viramin c because I was born with pernicious anemia and need to in order to avoid painful shots.

Green tea is absolutely an unnecessary and expensive myth.

I have a lot of friends that do "overnight oats". Super simple, no cooking required :) Google it or go on Pinterest for alternative recipes that include things you like. No need for the less nutritious instant oats.

Good for you to get on your logging and food intake while in college :) I know one of my son's found it really challenging.

• kittywrangler
    kittywrangler Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal never lasts long and I'm hungry within an hour.
    I need a good amount of protein in the morning so for something easy and quick I'll have a couple boiled eggs and yougurt or cheese stick. Sometimes I'll have a protein bar.
    Remember breakfast doesn't have to be about "breakfast foods". If there are left over turkey kabob from last nights Dinner I'll have one of those (4oz). It's easy and keeps me satisfied.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Oats are always better. I would suggest getting some and make overnight oats. In the morning you just need to mix it around and then eat. So many different ways to make them. Takes less than 5 minutes and no actual cooking involved.

As for the yogurt and grapefruit I think its good. I would even add a boiled egg or something with a little bit more protein or even carbs.

You could even make a big pan of oat bars instead of always buying prepackaged ones.

• afroamericawriter
    afroamericawriter Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, College was when I started taking a serious look on fitness and health. So congrats! The one thing I see about your diet plan is its complexity in nature and as such will be very difficult to stay consistent.

Why not start with small measurable steps? Yes regular old-fashioned oats is better than instant but instant is better than tons of breakfast choices out there. I buy both. The "Quick Oats" from Whole Foods bulk sales and the regular old-fashioned ones. The former for those mornings you need something fast and latter during weekends like bake them into granola. That way I use the granola in yogurts, cereal or snacks.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with instant, but when eating oats, I personally prefer tossing some regular bulk in a small mason mason jar with some brown sugar and boiling water. Seal it and by the time I eat it, it's ready. You need to get out of your head that there are "bad" foods, as everything goes. It all comes down to CICO.
    That being said, for me, I find that if I load up on carbs earlier in the day, I want to feed the whole day. Try some Greek yogurt, with nuts and fruit in.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Fridge available?

I get up at 5 am and go to work, so have no desire to cook in the morning. So i do all my cooking when I'm cooking dinner or after kids go to bed. I make either hard boiled or scrambled eggs (i add veggies and a bit of cheese to the scrambled). Currently have overnight oats...but i do eat instant oatmeal because i have no reason to watch my sugar intake and two packets is about 320 calories, which holds me over for quite awhile.

I also make huge pots of soup and eat that for any meal of the day. Very filling, lower calories, with broth, lots of veggies, and beans and tofu or sometimes meat.

But eggs with greek yogurt are a great, filling option, typically. And oatmeal. Good luck!
  • qkrzazzang
    Options
    I wouldn't be able to go 4 hours on a grapefruit and Greek yogurt. I think I would be so hungry I'd end up buying something.

There are plenty of breakfast options that are easy and good for you. I find eggs for be very filling and they don't take me long to cook.

But for easy fast options you have so many cereals/bread and don't restrict yourself. The less ingredients the more filling I find. Plain oats for example. I'd set yourself a breakfast target calories....then stick to that and don't feel restricted to the same breakfast each morning.

If your having 1500 calories a day then you can have breakfast and lunch 400 each, dinner 500. Then 2 100 calorie snack. Just do what works for you.

which type of egg do you eat? ( like sunny side-up, boiled)
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    You can hard-boil several eggs at a time and keep them in the fridge. They're very portable and good for on-the-go. They're not necessarily better than the Greek yogurt, but it will give you some variety. Grapefruit is lovely, but no need to have it every day. A slice of whole-grain toast with a tablespoon of peanut butter plus a piece of fruit is quick and easy. Oatmeal is good too, instant or not. Whole-grain toaster waffles? String cheese?

So many options! Have fun, don't get in a rut, keep trying new things, don't get bored... Succeed.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Frittatas are great - it's an Italian baked egg dish. You can add veggies, meat, cooked potato chunks, or cheese depending on what you like and how many calories you want. Whole eggs or whole plus egg whites. You can keep it in the fridge and eat it throughout the week -warm or cold.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    laur357 wrote: »
    Frittatas are great - it's an Italian baked egg dish. You can add veggies, meat, cooked potato chunks, or cheese depending on what you like and how many calories you want. Whole eggs or whole plus egg whites. You can keep it in the fridge and eat it throughout the week -warm or cold.

This. Easy for busy mornings.
  • qkrzazzang
    Options
    Thanks guys, lots of great suggestions, and also a lot of cheers!

Finally, I want to ask how people usually do the seasonings on chicken breast and salmon