Lost the motivation!

Options
Hey everyone,
So I have been with MFP since August last year, and i went really well! I lost nearly 10pounds in a few months, and i was so so proud because i've NEVER been able to succesfully lose weight in my life before! Anyway, winter came, and i stopped exersising, (probably around january time) starting eating s*** again, and although i haven't gained much, (maybe a couple of pounds) I just dont know how to get motivated again!! I've tried everything!
My main problem is I can't stop eating bad food, i will quite happily go for a walk, but when it comes to food, i can't seem to stop myself!! I have no self will at all!
Anyway, so I was wondering, Is there anyone out there who has any tips on how to not eat the food that you love? (and i dont mean cut it out completely, because that will never work for me, ill just relapse and binge)
I'm a little bit pathetic...
I've been a bit down because I've had to leave the UK, where my boyfriend lives, to come back to Aus, (my visa expires) and we have no idea when he'll be able to come live with me, so i've been comfort eating like crazy too :( wah.

Also, is there anyone who has had the same thing happened? Where they were successfuly losing weight then BAM stopped and got lazy again? How did they pull themselves out of it?

Thanks for your time :)

Replies

• NuMe46
    NuMe46 Posts: 128
    Options
    I have also lost my motivation not for eating right but for exercise. I wonder if it's the weather. I live in the South and it has been so HOT and I feel sluggish and just can't get off my butt and exercise. I had a pretty good variety of workouts but became bored with all of them. How do I get the motivation back???
  • stephr2014
    stephr2014 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    *BUMP*

Watching for advice because Im going through the same thing, especially while going through some stress in my marriage.
  • arhzon
    arhzon Posts: 150
    Options
    I am morbidly addicted to soda, and rely on it for energy and that "completed" feeling. I try to cut it out altogether as well as I can, but when I relapse, I go for a diet (which, as I am well aware, is worse in many ways). If the issue is fatty foods, try this: when you get a craving for something, take a small portion, and make yourself eat something better FIRST. I know how easy it is to eat a whole chocolate cake when you are hungry and depressed. Cook two cups of broccoli, and one cup of rice (or whatever you like that is good for you), then treat yourself to a modest dessert. It works for me sometimes, not always.
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Well I'm the opposite to you; I can eat healthily (or at least keep my calories down even if the foods I choose aren't the greatest) but I can never find the motivation to go and do some exercise. The only thing that I can ever really do is use a mini cycler that I have, which I suppose is better than nothing, but I know that I could do so much more!

As for motivation, photos on the fridge door are a good way to stop yourself reaching for the junk. Or photos of clothes you wish you could wear, but know that you can't until you lose some weight. I have a collage of dresses as my laptop background that I look at whenever I'm feeling down about my weight loss or anything, and it does the trick to keep my spirits up and make me do a bit more exercise!
  • jennsie
    jennsie Posts: 38
    Options
    think of your goal - realistic. Then wake up tomorrow and do something about it. It is ok to have an occassional junk food but you need to re-focus on your goal. Don't be discouraged if you have a bad day. It is tough if you've not exercised or eaten poorly for a few days - it's tough to get in, but think about what you want and get back on track and don't dwell on it or on the past few days. Just make the effort again.

No excuses! You don;t want to un-do what you have done so just refocus what you want.

I know it is difficult sometimes, but you need to think about it. Reward yourself -- and bad food is NOT a reward.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Read the Success stories on here!
  • Andy_83
    Andy_83 Posts: 270
    Options
    Would agree with Jennsie, I'm rubbish if I've not got a goal to work to. Current one is summer holiday with some mates in July.

Also not sure if it's great advice or not but I won't try and change too much, I'll listen to people who will say you have to eat this and that and should do this or that but if I'm exercising regularly I'll give myself far more slack on the food side because otherwise if I'm constantly feeling guilty everytime I have a snack/white bread rather than brown I know I'll get disheartened and then lose the enthusiasm to do the exercise which I imagine is the thing doing me the most good.

My will power is shocking, I know it's easier said than done but try not to have too much stuff in the flat that's bad for me, because once it's there I'll eat it for eatings sake. If I do throw a pack of biscuits in the trolley at the super market it doesn't bother me I just will make sure I don't put crisps in as well.

Good Luck all. Eyes on the prize and all that jazz.
  • jenjen20
    jenjen20 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey ,well I did very similar.I lost 9lbs then pulled my ligament in my foot in between this I had my birthday and had to have an absess removed:(.with the fact I was told I wasn't allowed to do exercise for 6 weeks...6 weeks?!!lol.I got down and ate chocolate ,which is my downfall.my birthday I had lots of cake and crap and went back to my old way of eating :/.so sure enough no exercise over eating the weight was going back on (4lbs in 3 weeks!) and I just couldn't motivate myself to change again.my ankle is better it's been around 4 weeks now so I went to the gym yesterday.I was so proud of myself and remembered how much I enjoy it.ive realised the things that motivated me before...a photo I had of me doesn't motivate me the same.I had to find new things to motivate me.what. motivates me now is that I know I can do it and that I'm doing this for my health.also the way I felt when I had lost weight I was confident and bubbly.now I'm
    Just annoyed I put it back on.so I'm doing something about it.I always feel if I'm annoyed about something I move and do something about it!!also I only have 6lbs to loose and I will definitely reward myself (not with chocolate!)after I loose 3lbs then 6.the gym for me is a way I can eat what I want and stay at the weight I want to.instead of thinking before,I can't eat that!!I think you can eat that but it would be better if u didn't.lol.my downfall is chocolate so I'm letting myself have one day a week where I can eat it and however much I want.sounds mad but I probably won't want to eat that much as I will undo all my hard work and ive learnt how bad I felt when I put the few pounds back on :(.!!hope this helps??
    In summary my advice is to change your thinking :find new things to motivate you and remember you can do it and how proud you will feel at the end ,knowing you fell off the wagon but you got back on :).im
    no expert but this is my experience.GOODLUCK!!!
    Jenn xxxx
    Jenny xxxx
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I go in to great detail about motivation and how it works and how to increase it in my blog.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/asmcriminal/view/psychology-and-motivation-103881
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    For me, being able to measure my progress really helps. This means LOG ALL THE FOOD. Also, WEIGH EVERY DAY. You know the saying, "if you could see the donut go to your hips/belly, would you eat it?" Well, if you log all the food, and you weigh every day - you can track it.

If you can track it you can see the results of eating it. Then, it's up to you if you want the lines to go up or down.

See when I went to my sister-in law and there's the gap - no scale, but it was going p. Another spike on Mother's Day. Then the big spike on 5/19 - that was staying at work and going out and eating 20 Buffalo Wings with Ranch Dressing and 3 beers!!! That binge took my "downward slope" and shifted it out about 2 weeks ...

So, every day, I get motivation to keep on, by trying to make that line go in a downward direction.

Also, I've scheduled to go skydiving at the end of the month - and I have to be around 218 by then (<225 with clothes) in order to come in under the weight limit.

So, to motivate yourself, try the chart. Also - SPEND A CHUCK OF MONEY on something NOW, that you have to be less than a certain weight, or you will have wasted your money - (trip, activity, expensive clothes, etc.) Oh, and I've also registered for a 10 Mile run in Washington DC in October with my best friend (who weighs the same as me and I'm "racing" him in the weight loss). Also going on vacation to Caymans in August - and I don't want to look like Moby D!ck (the big white whale).

All motivations. Plus being diagnosed with Diabetes, having Arthritis, Sleep Apnea, High Cholesterol - all solved with Diet & Exercise.

Still need motivation?

Hope this helps you.

chart-1.jpg

Triangles are offical Weight Watchers weigh in with clothes. Red line is 2.5lbs/week. Green line is 4lbs/week. I try to stay between the two. Blue line is no clothes, home scale, first thing in the am after using toilet.

It's cutting off my chart. If you'd like to see the whole thing, go here: http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z430/pseudocyber/chart-1.jpg
  • emmavisman
    emmavisman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    WOW thank you so much everyone for all your stories and great advice!!! It's encouraging to know that yes people do fall off track, but they can just as easily get on track again! I just really need to try harder and stop making excuses for myself!
    Ive decided to use my 21st birthday as a goal, it's in october and i'd like to lose AT LEAST 5kgs by then, do you think that's realistic!?
    I've also started logging my food again, and tracking my exersise. Also using my past acheivements as a motivation that I can do it!

It's just a bit of a downer because I've stopped for over 5 months!! All my clothes are tight again and i feel RUBBISH! But I guess that's more motivation to eat better!!

Thanks again everyone!
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    All my clothes are tight again
    Bit of advice I got - as soon as clothes get too big, or a little lose, GET RID OF THEM. Then, when your clothes get tight - REFUSE to go buy more until they're not tight.
  • wifeyburress
    Options
    I agree with Pseudocyber about the making a large investment in something down the road that you want to be in shape for. I recently had pics taken (tasteful....) for my husband's and my anniversary. I paid upfront back in Feb. I worked my butt off to get in shape for those pictures! I lost 14 lbs and looked pretty good, if I don't say so myself..... but, it was the best motivation that I have ever had for weight loss! I am thinking that I might have to do something similar every 6 months or so! :)
  • Brooke1542
    Brooke1542 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    When I feel like I've lost motivation, I look at myself in the mirror and ask myself if I am happy with the way I look. The answer is always no so then I know I have to keep going. Which makes me make myself go to the gym and make healthier food choices. I actually went through this today. I did NOT want to go to the gym today, laid on the couch a good hour trying to talk myself into it. I went and stood in front of the mirror for about 10 minutes looking at myself. I wasn't satisfied with the way I look so I got enough motivation to go and work out.

As far as motivation to eat healthy, I don't keep my "go to" binge foods in my house. My weakness is chips, can eat the whole bag in one sitting, also no will power. I know that I wont go to the store to get them when I'm craving them, so when I have a craving I have to either make a healthier choice or just go without. The craving usuaslly goes away and if it doesn't I'll go get a single serving size bag at the store and eat them.

That's what seems to work for me. Good luck to you with getting your motivation back!