1 Month Weight loss

Options
Hey! I start school again in September (about 1 month)
I'm really looking to lose weight before then but I'm not sure how much. My current weight is 161 and I'm 5'2.
My cal intake is about 1,300, but I often eat much much less than this (not because I'm forcing myself to, just because I don't eat that much). I plan to exercise 3-5 times a week for about 20-30 minutes. Any advice on how to lose weight fast, or what exercises work well, or anything else please comment! I'm really determined to lose this weight but I think I need some help and motivation. Thanks!

Replies

• eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    generally, it's not safe to lose more than 1-2 pounds per week, so you could expect to drop between 4-8 pounds in the next month. I would not encourage you to eat less than 1300 calories as your body needs at least 1200 for what it needs to do. You might want to think about more nutrient dense foods -- and making sure you're getting enough lean proteins and "good" fats.
  • Jacqui_Runs
    Jacqui_Runs Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My advice is don't worry about losing fast. It will not stay off in the long run. I'd say you could safely lose 10 lbs a month with eating right and exercising. When you do it right, and maintain after, the weight will absolutely stay off. Good luck.
  • Jacqui_Runs
    Jacqui_Runs Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm a big fan of running. I'm a beginner, currently doing the couch to 5k program, and I love it. It's an 8 week program, and I'm on week 4. If you are a new runner, it's the best way to start.
  • tannibal_lecter
    tannibal_lecter Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think its pretty safe to aim for 1% of your body weight a week in loss.

You probably would need to eat more if you are exercising. If you eat less than 1300 calories regularly and are not losing weight than eating more is probably going to work better. You could set mfp at 1200 and then eat back all of your calories that you burn in exercise.

I think by the responses so far you can see that it won't be easy or safe to lose a lot of weight fast. I definitely don't recommend it for health reasons and also because it will just be regained quickly. If you are serious about getting healthy and fit then be in it for the long haul and aim for 4-8 pounds lost a month.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    julezlow wrote: »
    I'm really looking to lose weight before then but I'm not sure how much. My current weight is 161 and I'm 5'2.
    My cal intake is about 1,300, but I often eat much much less than this (not because I'm forcing myself to, just because I don't eat that much). I plan to exercise 3-5 times a week for about 20-30 minutes. Any advice on how to lose weight fast, or what exercises work well, or anything else please comment! I'm really determined to lose this weight but I think I need some help and motivation. Thanks!

How did you come to need to lose weight if you don't eat? Over restricting yourself and under eating is not going to do you any favors in the long run.
  • sevans85mfp
    sevans85mfp Posts: 25 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Do you track calories? If you already eat 1300 a day, then dropping to 1200 a day won't make much change.

I'd suggest tracking every mouthful and following the suggested calories on mfp if you don't already do so.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

How did you come to need to lose weight if you don't eat? Over restricting yourself and under eating is not going to do you any favors in the long run.

^^^That.

Don't wait for motivation. Just do it. Log everything in MFP, eat just under your calorie limit and above 1200.

Don't deprive yourself of treats - that just leads to binges.

You gained weight over time - you will lose weight over time, guaranteed, if your calories in are less than your calories out.

Good luck.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If you really needed to lose the weight by the time school starts, you should have started sooner. It would be better to focus on doing it HEALTHY than doing it FAST. Also, you should be eating at least 1200 cals per day in order to have adequate nutrition.
  • fishcat123
    fishcat123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and started about where you are! I've been sticking to 1200 calories/day and exercising (running and power yoga) 5-6 times a week, and not usually eating any calories back. I've lost about 15 lbs so far, which is not so fast but I can't seem to lose more than about 1-1.5 per week. (I don't have a food scale and have a big meal about 1-2x a week, so maybe I'm eating more than I think.) I'd say that losing around 5 lbs in a month is very reasonable, 10 could be possible but the habits that would get you to lose 10 lbs wouldn't be sustainable when the school year starts. I'd suggest maybe just trying to eat 1200 calories and exercising regularly and see what happens?

If you want to lose faster, maybe try more exercise. You could take the time before school starts to try different ways to work out to try to find something you love and will make time for in your daily routine even when things get busier.

For me it took about a month to see definitive results and get beyond where I knew I was just losing water weight or fluctuating down. I definitely did build better habits during the first month - not oversnacking and sticking to 1200 was pretty hard for me the first month but now it's just how I eat.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

I was thinking the same thing ! Its funny to me how someone who needs to lose weight has trouble eating the recommended calories?! How did they become over weight if they claim not to eat too much ? ( they could give me their left over calories and I'll be happy to eat them !! )
  • amr32r
    amr32r Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    From my experience it was hard for me to eat when i started mfp because i didnt eat a bunch but i drank at least 1500 calories a day in pop and high calorie coffee drinks so add that with the little bit i did eat put me over calories everyday for years...with that being said i had to force myself to eat meals and it was a hard at first but trust me after ditching all them calories i was drinking i have no problem eating...just keep logging everyday ; you will probably even adjust your calories a little higher if your exercising and have no problem getting to your daily goal.

• skij17
    skij17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Clarification- the 1300 calories is the goal on this app as I have already been trying to lose weight. I was just looking for some help on how to lose weight a little faster.
  • elkhunter7x6
    elkhunter7x6 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    And what they are trying to tell you is there is no "fast way" that is healthy and sustainable.