Scared.....

Options
I'm back to MyFitnessPal after about a year. I need to lose close to 100 more pounds and I'm scared. Scared mostly of failure. I've been battling my weight literally all my life. A couple years ago I lost just over 100 pounds, but I did it by basically starving. I need to be healthy, but I'm terrified of failing yet again.

Replies

• Parkercomom
    Parkercomom Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This is a great place to come for support! You can do this. Take it one day at a time. I started in March with a little over 100 lbs to lose. I have lost 43 lbs so far. Feel free to add me as a friend. :smile:
  • Haegar62
    Haegar62 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Take you time and loose slowly set small goals and not the full goal at once. And just ty and enjoy it because if you enjoy it you will continue on the journey. I am 53 and had around 30 Kg to much weight sofar i have lost half of it in around 3 months. But have also starting to feel fitter and more healthy even if i eat fast food when in a hurry just smaller portion and not so oft. It is all Cal in and Cal out. Sure the nutrions are important but at a first stage loose the weight then start looking harder on the small stuff.
    Good luck and feel free to add me as friend ;)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Theres no reason to be scared, but the way to diffuse your fear is to give yourself the best chance of success by preparing properly so you know what you are doing and then breaking it down into baby steps which ease you into it. then you just do it one day at a time. That will increase your chances of success and once you start making progress it will build confidence. 100lbs is quite a common amount to lose so get friends in the same boat.

These threads are good starting points.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You can do it! Don't look at it like "100 pounds". Here is an example of a few ways that are more manageable:
    - 10 pounds to reach my next milestone
    - 20 more pounds and I will be the weight I was when I went to [...] and had a good time
    - 10 more minutes and I will be able to brisk walk a full 30 minutes
    - 3 low calorie foods I've never tried to reach my goal for new foods to try this month
    - 1000 more steps to beat my previous record
    - 2 more pounds to lose the weight of my cat
    - .... etc

Even if you stumble along the way, there is always a tomorrow and it doesn't undo all the work you've done. Failure is scary, but did you know you are already a winner by losing the weight once before? Obese and overweight people who manage to lose at least 10% of their starting weight are better off when it comes to future health issues, even if they regain it. So you've already done yourself good, now it's time to attempt to do good once more.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I'm back to MyFitnessPal after about a year. I need to lose close to 100 more pounds and I'm scared. Scared mostly of failure. I've been battling my weight literally all my life. A couple years ago I lost just over 100 pounds, but I did it by basically starving. I need to be healthy, but I'm terrified of failing yet again.

Don't be scared!

Get the process down. Develop habits, with small changes if you need to. Think about what went wrong in previous attempts.

You got this.
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    If you look at how much you have to lose that can be pretty daunting. Set yourself small goals. Make small changes that you know you can stick to. If you go in full tilt you can find it too much and give up. Setting small goals and reaching them can be hugely rewarding and keep your motivation high. You did the right thing joining this site. You will get a ton of support here. Good luck!
  • momar23
    momar23 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If you look at how much you have to lose that can be pretty daunting. Set yourself small goals. Make small changes that you know you can stick to. If you go in full tilt you can find it too much and give up. Setting small goals and reaching them can be hugely rewarding and keep your motivation high. You did the right thing joining this site. You will get a ton of support here. Good luck!

This is exactly what I would have said;)
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Well starving is not a great strategy. Just cut your calories as much as you need to lose weight but eat enough to avoid hunger. This way over the long term makes it easier to sustain without binges and falling off the wagon. Its good to avoid hunger. So i recommend keeping your meals close together. Three meals with snacks to fill in any long gaps between meals but preferably nothing after dinner works well for me. You should not leave the table feeling hungry but you don't want to feel full either. Just eat to satiety. And eat healthy food. make sure you enjoy the food you eat otherwise you may not reach your goal. If you enjoy the process, there's not much that can ruin your efforts.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Fear...
    I have allowed my fears to stop me from reaching potential so many times.

I love this quote...
    "We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light."
    Plato