Wheat Belly?

Options
Hey there everyone!! My husband and I are starting the wheat belly diet and I wanted to see if there was anyone else out there doing it?! So far we've been doing it for about a month and my husband (who is diabetic) has noticed great drop in blood sugar and weigh loss as well! It seems like it's really the way to go! We aren't doing the Total Health, just the Wheat Belly for now! Anyone with me?!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    No.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Eating less of any carbs will reduce blood sugar. It also results in weight loss because less calories are taken it. It's just a different approach to cutting calories, but if it's nothing you can't adhere to for life, then the weight loss will be temporary.
    As for your hubby, is he type one or two? If he's one, then by all means he should be aware of his carbs. If he's type 2 and just overweight, just dropping the weight alone with a calorie deficit may reverse the condition.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Not read that in detail, sounds like it's good for your other half though.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Eating less of any carbs will reduce blood sugar. It also results in weight loss because less calories are taken it. It's just a different approach to cutting calories, but if it's nothing you can't adhere to for life, then the weight loss will be temporary.
    As for your hubby, is he type one or two? If he's one, then by all means he should be aware of his carbs. If he's type 2 and just overweight, just dropping the weight alone with a calorie deficit may reverse the condition.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Just chiming in here as someone who grew up in a diabetic household. Please be cautious when issuing this sort of advice. T2s still need to watch their carbs. In fact, because they don't always have artificial insulin pumping through them, they often have to watch them more carefully than T1s (depending on the severity of the disease and whether or not the T2 individual has opted to go on medication). Also, dropping weight doesn't neccessarily reverse T2 as a large population (larger than previously believed according to some studies) have T2 because of their genetic disposition and family history, not because of their weight.

As far as the "Wheat Belly" diet goes, what Ninerbuff said is absolutely true. The diet is only providing you a means to an end you could meet yourself. However, if it's helping and it's sustainable in the long term, more power to you. Just know that it's not likely a "magic forumla" to any sort of success.
  • kenkoger7
    kenkoger7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Laura,
    Yes, doing the no wheat diet. I've read about half the book so far, but I can see differences in not only my weight but other things as well.
    Ken
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    nope I like my carbs thx
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    As a celiac, I have been doing a similar (gluten-free) diet for years. ;)

I read Wheat Belly a few years ago but I don't know the diet. My guess is that it is partially grain free?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Glad you've found something that works well for you and hubby. :)

However, I would literally diet without my carbs. Made some great French bread last night, and there's a piece for lunch today with my Quinoa salad. :)

Carbs, take me home!

healthy-carbs.jpg

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    As a celiac, I have been doing a similar (gluten-free) diet for years. ;)

I read Wheat Belly a few years ago but I don't know the diet. My guess is that it is partially grain free?

Celiac disease is definitely a whole other ballgame.
  • Caletara
    Caletara Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am! Kind of. I have a non celiac gluten allergy and Hashimoto's which means I try to avoid gluten. I dont always manage it(especially when people parade danishes around the office!) But I've had good luck losing weight with it. Whether or not I eat wheat/gluten i try to keep my carbs around 150. I found I feel better that way. If you found something that works for you and your husband, keep doing it! Good job!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I tried to do it for a while. Much too restrictive for me to maintain for any length of time. I tried to make one of the wheat-free breads; most horrible thing ever, I could not eat it and had to throw it away.
  • sk8rmommy
    sk8rmommy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm in! I followed wheat belly 2 years ago for over a year and lost a ton of weight and felt fantastic. I went on vacation with friends and started eating wheat again. The bloating, lethargy, joint pain, weight, brain fog, headaches, and especially my appetite came back. I felt great when I followed wheat belly and had none of that when I cut wheat out. I've been eating "healthy" for a few months (eating whole grains), but still don't feel well. I started back on WB yesterday. It's not easy - I love me some crusty bread - but I feel like crap when I eat it so.... Bye bye wheat.
  • Slja2013
    Slja2013 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am totally in! I started my Wheat Belly odyssey two days ago and I am feeling better already! I hope to tame the hunger beast that lives inside me who spurs me on to eat, think of eating and then think about what I already ate!
  • newblue95
    newblue95 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I tried wheat belly for a few months but it wasn't sustainable as a broke college student haha :) I do still eat the pancakes sometimes because they're super filling and easy! I lost about 5 lbs of water weight in that time and didn't really see much if a difference. I did feel great though
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love carbs. Sounds like a great plan for your husband though.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I had a friend try to convince me that it was a good idea, even though I don't have any allergy or intolerance to gluten. She sounded like a conspiracy theorist/cult leader. "I found out by reading this book that it's sooooooo bad for you!" and bla bla bla.

Not saying you're that way. Just sharing my one and only experience with anything "wheat belly."
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Sounds gross.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking more and more that "wheat belly" is imaginary and a possible sign of orthorexia.

I'm open to evidence that it's not.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I am grass grain intollerant so I guess I am...? Most days, I eat 50% of my macros in carbs though! Nom! This whole wheat belly thing works because pasta, bread, rice (?), etc. are all incredibly calorie dense. If you cut those hundreds of calories a day and replace them with veggies and low-cal alrernatives, you are bound to lose weight. What you should ask yourself is if you can sustain that loss once you reach your goal and introduce all these foodstuffs again, or if you can swear them off for life. That'll always be the issue with a diet over calorie counting and food awareness.
  • TripMom
    TripMom Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi Laura,
    I read the first Wheat Belly book about 2 or 3 years ago. It took me a couple weeks to get through the brain fog and then I felt wonderful. I lost about 30 pounds eating this way. But then I stopped and gained it back. I know I felt so much better when I ate Wheat Belly way. These days I'm feeling pretty bad, and I know I feel worse when I've eaten a lot of wheat. I am planning on making a lot of changes in our household as far as wheat is concerned. I just got the Wheat Belly 30-minute cookbook a couple days ago. All friends you and let's see if we can do this together.