introducing portion sizes to children?

Options
mckant
mckant Posts: 217 Member
I'm not sure exactly when and how to go about introducing proper portion sizes to my kids. This is mainly for my almost 10 year old daughter. She's a fairly lean, healthy, active girl. She's starting to get "fill out" (get a butt and a belly) but she is not heavy by any means. I certainly don't want to deprive her but I want her to understand the idea of portion control.

Replies

• dcornwe
    dcornwe Posts: 73
    Options
    Im kind of in the same boat. Although my 9 yrs is heavy. (she is a size 16 in little girls) I try to limit her dinner portions, but I dont know how to get her to watch what she eats. I would never use any type of derogatory words towards her but I know it happens at school. Im worried for her emotionally and physcially.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Thats a great Idea really, to teach your children about portion sizes. I think they learn alot from their parents and thats where my parents went wrong!!!! I wish they would have taught and demonstrated portion sizes to me. It would be important not to teach in such a way that children would obsess over I though...

Theres gotta be a book about it!
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My girls are definitely very active 10 and 8 year olds, but when I started learning portion control I started to show them as well. I want them to eat healthy, but I want them to be aware of making the right decisions too. I say it's a good thing to teach it. My girls usually eat what I do, but I give them more fruit and veggies, healthy dairy and proteins. If they are hungry we substitute their "JUNK" cravings for homemade smoothie pops or whatever else they feel they need that is healthy for them.
  • Justamom410
    Justamom410 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Lead by example? If she sees you eating a proper portion, she's more likely to follow suit.
  • Kristinemillar
    Options
    Well, education on healthy eating and portion control starts at home if you ask me. I have an 11 year old and now that I have started to pay attention to what my portion sizes are I have begun to teach her how to eat sensibly and healthily...

Snack food like crisps and chocolate are not banned but as she's not a big eater of junk that's never been a problem..

I just wish she'd drink more water!!
  • teacher4380
    Options
    Try to find a fun way to introduce her to the "new pyramid"...then play a game of correct sizes of portions...start with fruits....a small banana is a portion or a half of a large one...see if she can pick out the right ones! It may mean for you to brush up too! I needed to as I thought things (especially fruits) were a bit larger! You can also use it to make a math lesson for measuring (weights & tablespoons, teaspons, cups, etc.) Get her a "right size" plate and see if she can help you create the meal some evenings with the right measurements. If you teach her the "deck of cards" for the meat concepts, then see if she can come up with a "cooler or hipper" (is that even a word...I feel so not cool!!! LOL) way to remember it. I have seen ones that they use like CD's and such for sizes! If you make it fun (and not a chore), then she will be more likely to want to participate! I have worked on the food pyramid with kids as young as 2 1/2 (on a very basic level) and they served themselves the right size with the correct serving spoons...so keep your eye out! Keep us posted as I will be curious what her thoughts are!!! You may want to see if they covered it in school already too!!! Just a teacher's thoughts....Good luck!!!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    My son is 2.5. I still fix his plates for him but since my DH and I have made this a lifesytle change, he will grow up his whole life seeing us eat healthy and proper amounts of foods. I figure when he gets to be around 3 or 4 we will start talking about portion sizes; just as general dinner time conversation. DH and I already talk all the time about how healthy the foods we eat are and how yummy they are etc. I am hoping he picks up on this because I want him to grow up thinking that healthy eating is the norm.
  • AshaDidIt
    AshaDidIt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with telling them the truth. When you eat too much, a) you gain weight, b) you feel bad about yourself c) it is harder to get back on track when you form bad habits. I wish my mom had told me that when I was little.

My son seems to gain a little weight every winter, but then in the spring when baseball starts, he loses it. I tell him the truth in the winter (lay off the snacks!) and then tell him how good he looks again in the summertime. I also let him choose his hairstyle and *most* of his clothes -- he feels good about himself and most of all HE'S in control of HIS BODY.
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Well, education on healthy eating and portion control starts at home if you ask me. I have an 11 year old and now that I have started to pay attention to what my portion sizes are I have begun to teach her how to eat sensibly and healthily...

Snack food like crisps and chocolate are not banned but as she's not a big eater of junk that's never been a problem..

I just wish she'd drink more water!!

To get your daughter to drink more water - make it fun! Even as an adult, what motivates me with water are my SUPER CUTE water bottles! It sounds ridiculous, but it's true! Get 2 or 3 really cute, really clever-looking water bottles. Maybe even keep tallies of how many times she has filled it up. It can be fun. Water is important. and building a great foundation for it when she is younger will be really helpful! (:
  • sam23030
    sam23030 Posts: 76
    Options
    Perhaps encourage extra glasses of water when feeling hungry and you know they can't be. I remember learning portion control from my parents in simple ways like whenever we had biscuits, we would never have more than two. We would never have more than one bag of crisps a day and whatever was put on our plate was dinner.

Up until we were around 13/14 yrs, we never just helped ourselves to the cupboards we always asked if we could have a snack and they would suggest what we could have. We never had a strict upbringing but this was just what we knew. We also had packed lunches for school so we just knew that what we were given there was a normal lunch. I can't remember ever seeking out extra food, so I guess as long as you know they have enough to keep them going, they shouldn't feel hungry.

We also took part in a lot of arranged activities / sports so we were quite active, perhaps just encourage some more exercise?

I would be careful making them too aware though, I have friends who have said they have watched what they ate since about the age of 11, I don't think it's really something a child of that age should have to worry about.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    My son at 9 has a GI condition with a lot of inflammation in the gut, he never really feels full...I allow him one serving of meat, unlimited veggies and a fruit and grain. We Only allow one glass of whatever it is we are drinking, from then it's water, as well as water between meals. I allow him to eat sweets, we keep them in the house. I feel he needs access to them so he can learn to enjoy them, that they are always there and he doesn't binge on them. He is learning what he needs to feel good and he rarely wants more food anymore then what he starts with.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Lead by example? If she sees you eating a proper portion, she's more likely to follow suit.

I have 3 girls, 12 twins and a 9 year old. I have never taught them anything about portion control. They see me actually weighing things, and now. lol lol they measure their cereal with a measure cup. I hear them talking between themselves...

Sarah, you have to measure that, so we don't eat too much!

Only 1 serving Ashley.

Mom, says 18 chips is enough.

LOL Kids pick up on our behavior more than we know!

I also agree with Sam, my girls never eat without asking first. They don't realize if dinner is in the oven while they are outside playing. and not to mention they will eat when bored like we do.

One of my twins is really a tooth pick, she can eat anything and is built like a twig, but don't tell her! LOL The other twin takes after me. She's not over weight but pudgy in places. She looks great in clothes but in her swim suit she could use some toning.

All my kids are very active, and they will choose water over pop any day. I have had parents tell me that it was weird that the girls would rather drink water over pop. Then again my girls never get pop and they didn't even know what pop was till like 3rd grade. lol My thoughts were water is free, pop rots your teeth, and it's pure sugar, for kids.
  • mckant
    mckant Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thank you! These are all awesome ideas and suggestions.