Water! What are you counting?

Options
Wondering if people log other beverages to count towards water intake? I am lucky if I get 6 glasses in... I can't imagine drinking 12 glasses like some of my friends on here! I feel like I'm always running to the washroom!

Replies

• American_Beauty
    American_Beauty Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I log my water consistently, yes I am a 12 a day drinker, if I happen to drink a glass of milk or that rare soft drink I log it in my diary, but not as water intake.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I'm a 12-14 on average.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I only count plain water as water. I drink around 8 cups of tea with milk everyday, and have never thought to add those to my water tally...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I just watch the color of my urine. I have no idea how many glasses I drink per day. I just count water itself and hot tea.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I count all beverages as water but mostly I drink 1-2 cups of coffee a day and the rest really is water. Most days I get 8-9 some days only 5-6 and others 10-12. Depending a lot on how much I have been sweating and how thirsty I am.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I "count" anything liquid that doesn't reportedly have calories: water, seltzer water, water enhancers, etc. I don't tally it. I just drink it. I get in plenty.
    12774 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I only count plain water as water. I drink around 8 cups of tea with milk everyday, and have never thought to add those to my water tally...
    All liquids fall into the category of water. MFP does not recommend more than 9 glasses per day. Check what happens to the glass after logging in 9 glasses. The water spills over. Drinking too much water can cause severe medical problems. Check it out!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I just watch the color of my urine. I have no idea how many glasses I drink per day. I just count water itself and hot tea.

As above!
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I just drink when I feel like it or when I'm thirsty. I don't keep track of it. I honestly don't believe that humans would have evolved in such a way that if we followed our thirst signals we'd be chronically dehydrated. I trust my body to know what it needs
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    IreneM99 wrote: »
    Wondering if people log other beverages to count towards water intake? I am lucky if I get 6 glasses in... I can't imagine drinking 12 glasses like some of my friends on here! I feel like I'm always running to the washroom!
    Anything liquid contains water, so I suppose that counts, but for me, I just count water as water.
    My personal philosophy is that I can't get too much water given my activity level. I exercise 3 to 4 hours daily, so, in addition to my juices and green tea, I just drink pure water, and that is what I count.

• mystgrl1604
    mystgrl1604 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I just count plain water. If I drink anything else, I log it under my meals. I try to hit 4L/day but usually hover between 2.5-3.5L/day.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I don't track water. I just drink when I'm thirsty. But if I did track water, I would be willing to count any calorie-free/extremely-low-calorie beverage as water.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I count water and unsweetened herbal tea. I do not count coffee, tea, sweetened tea, juice, etc. At most, I'd maybe count a sweetened herbal tea as a 1/2. I just aim for 6-8 glasses, though. I drink a lot of my water first thing in the morning, and it's the middle of summer haha. I tend to drink less when it's cooler out.

I wouldn't force it! We get most of our water needs from the foods we eat, but things like starches, salt, and sugar require more water to digest, and coffee and tea are diuretics (as is alcohol!). I tend to feel better when I drink 7 or 8 glasses of water, specifically 2-3 right when I wake up. Just watch how you feel, and go with that :)