Leg pain advice please

Options
mmabry72
mmabry72 Posts: 100 Member
I am having leg pain in my right leg only. Starts with Shin pain (shin splints?) then calf pain and finally knee pain. I can usually run through it but once I stop I hobble around for a few days. I am trying to run 5 days a week but as it is now I am down to 3. Should I just take a week off and see how it does? I am afraid if I take all that time off I will hurt all the gains I have made. Or should I just suck it up Sally and keep working it?

Running History:
Past my prime, a little north of 40
Started running for realz in Nov 2014. 95% road running (concrete/asphalt)
up to 70 miles a month
fast side of slow. Weekly running is @ 9 min pace
Brooks Ravennas (2014 model)
Stability insoles to try to help (advice from running store).
Pain really just started the first of June

Replies

• punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I am not a medical professional, nor do I have any training in sports injuries. However, these are the questions I ask myself when I am experiencing pain:

-do I need new shoes?
    -have I been stretching properly?

With running pain, I have found that switching to grass and dirt can help rather than concrete. Also sometimes I do have to take a week off of training. As for losing any gains, you don't lose a lot if you get right back into it, in fact, I've found that I usually perform much better after a recovery week.

Are you doing any cross training at all? Cross training may also help.

Barring all this, see a physiotherapist.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    You really, really need to take some time off. Hobbling around for a few days after a run is NOT normal. The calf and knee pain indicates that your body is subconsciously adjusting your stride to try to put less stress on your shin (probably the tibia), probably the beginning of an injury chain reaction.

Don't dig yourself into that hole. Take a break. You won't lose any cardio fitness in a week, but if you're still in pain, consider cross-training that doesn't hurt (biking, swimming, elliptical, pool running are some options).

Have you increased mileage or intensity recently? How is your hip strength, hamstring flexibility, hip flexor/IT band flexibility? (If you haven't increased distance/frequency/intensity, it might be that muscle weirdnesses have built up through overuse and your stride is just a little off, causing extra stress on your tibia in a bad way).
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The general rule is that if pain increases during the run then don't run on it.

What might be happening is that you are altering your stride due to the shin pain which then causes the other places to hurt. You need to figure out the shin pain. If it is shin splints a few days of rest and some daily shin stretches will help.

The good news is that in 7 days you won't lose any fitness. After 7 days it starts to noticable decline. You can also cross train during that time.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I would take a week off and make sure that you are stretching when you get back to running, and work your way up to five days again, not doing five right away.
    also make sure you are relaxed while you run. even in your feet and shoulders

and if the pain persists, see a dr
  • mmabry72
    Options
    Awesome advice already. Thanks!!!!
    I will definitely take a week off then. It's what I knew I should do but I had a nagging doubt. I hate the idea of starting over again.
    I have been slowly upping my milage from 50 miles a month to 70 miles over the last few months. My goal is 100 a month but obviously I need to slow down a little.

Everything else feels good, its all concentrated on my lower right leg. It makes sense that I am causing a chain reaction with my stride compensating for my original shin pain.

What are some good shin stretches? I usually hang my heals off the front porch and flex my calves and I thought my shins but obviously this isn't working.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The stretch that's worked best for me in the past was elevating your foot and tracing the alphabet with your foot several times a day. This gives it a good stretch in every possible direction.
  • carldavidlewis
    carldavidlewis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    mmabry72 wrote: »
    I am having leg pain in my right leg only. Starts with Shin pain (shin splints?) then calf pain and finally knee pain. I can usually run through it but once I stop I hobble around for a few days. I am trying to run 5 days a week but as it is now I am down to 3. Should I just take a week off and see how it does? I am afraid if I take all that time off I will hurt all the gains I have made. Or should I just suck it up Sally and keep working it?

Running History:
    up to 70 miles a month

• Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Your situation is similar to mine - we have similar shoes even!!! I rolled my ankle in January and I tried to run through the pain for 3 months and now I'm out for the summer. I had to see a sports medicine doctor and rest from impact (running and power walking) was prescribed. I can still crosstrain, although it has been tough trying to resist walking the hills in my neighborhood.

If you are in pain, see a doctor. You've been at it long enough to know the difference between muscle soreness and definite pain. Don't overthink it - see a doctor if you become miserable. Good Luck and I hope you get better!!!
  • carldavidlewis
    carldavidlewis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Stretch Stretch Stretch !!!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    According to my sister's physio, it takes 11 days off before your performance takes any sort of a "hit". The most important thing you can do for shin splints is rest. Icing and wrapping may help, but it takes rest to heal. I had them as a gymnast in high school and the only thing that healed them was the off-season. Nothing the trainers had me do was any real help. I don't know about stretches. I was never prescribed any and I've never seen them recommended for shin splints, either. Here's what the Mayo Clinic has to say about preventing them:
    1. Choose the right shoes. Wear footwear that suits your sport. If you're a runner, replace your shoes about every 350 to 500 miles (560 to 800 kilometers).
    2. Consider arch supports. Arch supports can help prevent the pain of shin splints, especially if you have flat arches.
    3. Lessen the impact. Cross-train with a sport that places less impact on your shins, such as swimming, walking or biking. Remember to start new activities slowly. Increase time and intensity gradually.
    4. Add strength training to your workout. To strengthen your calf muscles, try toe raises. Stand up. Slowly rise up on your toes, then slowly lower your heels to the floor. Repeat 10 times. When this becomes easy, do the exercise holding progressively heavier weights. Leg presses and other exercises for your lower legs can be helpful, too.

The causes of shin splints are indicated by the ways to prevent them above and given your situation I'm wondering if it's overuse. You said you've been running 5 days a week and have a goal to run 100 miles each month. It sounds like maybe you've been ramping up a bit too quickly for your body to handle. When you get back at it, I'd suggest a day off between running days for awhile and then try ramping it up a bit more slowly.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I took 17 days off after my HM in May. I had been having pain calf after my runs for some time and pushed through it. After the race I finally went to the doc and had an MRI. Luckily I didn't do any real damage.

Once I returned to running it was not difficult to get back on track. The only side effect is my HR is higher (although it could be the heat or my new phone interacting with my H7 differently). My pace is pretty much the same. I will be working my way back to race another HM in September.

Bottom line is take some time off. If you are not training for anything, even a couple weeks won't make you "start over'.
  • mmabry72
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the help. I raided Youtube for some exercises that I can do to help strengthen and stretch my shins/calf area. I found one that I can do at my desk at work. Its just basically toe taps but at the end of a set I could really feel it.

FYI If anyone is in the same boat as I am here are a few videos I found that I think will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66r_kWvgwUo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U03gejHXtM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc3haRNn-5I
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Take the time off.. I trained for a 25K through winter and really messed myself up in February because I didn't listen to my body and take some time off. My pain was also in my right leg. I let it go to the point that I could barely walk. When I realized I was limping while walking and couldn't go up and down stairs, I knew I had to stop. It took over a month for the pain to be completely gone. Stop now before you get there.

Some things to think about for when you do get back to running.... KT tape helps some people. If you haven't been fitted for a running shoe yet, go do that. Have them look at the wear pattern on your shoes. Stretching and rolling your muscles of course. But maybe change where you're running. I can run on pavement everyday and be fine.. but training during a Michigan winter had me on the tredmill and that was what got me. Everyone is different, after you're feeling better you'll have to play around with different things.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    pzarnosky wrote: »
    Take the time off.. I trained for a 25K through winter and really messed myself up in February because I didn't listen to my body and take some time off. My pain was also in my right leg. I let it go to the point that I could barely walk. When I realized I was limping while walking and couldn't go up and down stairs, I knew I had to stop. It took over a month for the pain to be completely gone. Stop now before you get there.

Some things to think about for when you do get back to running.... KT tape helps some people. If you haven't been fitted for a running shoe yet, go do that. Have them look at the wear pattern on your shoes. Stretching and rolling your muscles of course. But maybe change where you're running. I can run on pavement everyday and be fine.. but training during a Michigan winter had me on the tredmill and that was what got me. Everyone is different, after you're feeling better you'll have to play around with different things.

Some people find that wearing compression socks during their runs help with shin splints, too.

I've heard that when running on a treadmill that a lack of incline can cause shin splints. I don't use a treadmill myself very often but I do remember my shins being irritated during the beginning of running or walking when I've used it in the past.
  • mathewspeaks
    mathewspeaks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    SueInAz, it’s true- a lack of incline on your treadmill can cause shin splints. I've seen it.

Thanks everyone for all the help. I raided Youtube for some exercises that I can do to help strengthen and stretch my shins/calf area. I found one that I can do at my desk at work. Its just basically toe taps but at the end of a set I could really feel it.

FYI If anyone is in the same boat as I am here are a few videos I found that I think will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66r_kWvgwUo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U03gejHXtM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc3haRNn-5I

The exercises look good, but I’d like to point out something else. Does the advice from your store about your stability insoles have any medical backing? Orthotics- or the science of insoles and footwear is usually only used for knee pain as much as I know. My advice would be to get that looked at. I’ve had orthotics treatment from AESM which is a sports injury clinic (I had a knee impact injury last year) here in Toronto, and I needed orthotics to set my knee right. I’ve never heard of orthotic soles for stability.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options

Running History:
    up to 70 miles a month
    Sounds like tendinitis. Usually flares up from overuse. Try cutting back a day or 2 and see how it goes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• blazehill6
    blazehill6 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Running History:
    up to 70 miles a month

• blazehill6
    blazehill6 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You may want to take up physical therapy to strengthen your legs. Running poses a lot of impact on your legs and can worsen them in the long run. Taking a day or two off between each run will allow your muscles to repair themselves. Good luck!

• Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You may not like my advice, but if you log accurately, looking at your last 4 days, you need to eat more. Your protein is too low, your carbs are too low, and your calories are too low. I'm surprised you made it to 5 days a week.
    Eat more + Run more = Lose more