I'm addicted to Carbs!

Options
Instead of thumbing through all the 90,000 forums... I decided to start one of my own.
Not sure if others are having the same struggles I am. I start off really good with a diet, starve myself and back to binging on CARBS.

I would like to talk with others that share this same struggle and find a solution. A good eating plan that will keep me full.

Any takers? :)

Danielle

Replies

• Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I ate over 2,000 calories from carbohydrates a day last week. Does that count ?
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    "Starting off really good with a diet" does not equate to "starving" yourself, so right off the bat, you are not doing something right.

And watch out using the word "addicted" to any type of food in these forums. But it looks very much like you just set an unrealistically low calorie level and then end up binging. This is by no means an addiction. Try setting a goal of 1 lb per week or less of weight loss, then try weighing your food and sticking to that calorie limit. You shouldn't starve, nor should you binge on anything after a week.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    "Starve yourself" ? Could this be a trigger?

I'm not doing a low carb diet (no medical issues for me) because it won't be a lifestyle change. Carbs are a craving, not an addiction. I need to learn portion control for carbs and everything else.

Protien, fat, and fiber are filling. Enough calories are filling. If your daily limit is 1200, keep in mind that's a default minimum. MFP gives you a calorie limit before exercise. So I add exercise for snacks.

It takes time to figure out how to space your meals (snack) out. Staying hydrated helps too. It makes me sure that I'm hungry (and not just thirsty).

I eat whole fruit....it has fiber. I eat whole grains....they have protein and fiber. But, I only have 1 serving of carbs with my meal. No more....hamburger (bun) and french fries (more carbs). I guess I'm eating moderate carbs.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Oh, and good eating plan to keep you full? Try lean meats, lots of vegetables (although be careful of starchy ones that are very calorie dense), fruits, whole grains, beans, and healthy fats like olive oil, if you don't want to eat so many processed foods. (i assume you mean those when you say carbs, because fruits and vegetables have carbs as well, but hopefully you don't intend to cut entire food groups out of your diet...)

But there is nothing wrong with tons of carbs if they still fit into your calorie goals and macros, unless you have a medical reason to stay away from them.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Instead of thumbing through all the 90,000 forums... I decided to start one of my own.
    Not sure if others are having the same struggles I am. I start off really good with a diet, starve myself and back to binging on CARBS.

I would like to talk with others that share this same struggle and find a solution. A good eating plan that will keep me full.

Any takers? :)

Danielle
    When you say you "starve yourself", I am assuming you mean that you're on a very low calorie diet.
    Maybe this is the issue - not carbs?
    Just a thought.
    As for me, I must keep carbs down to 50% of my macro intake. I also like to binge on junk foods that consist of empty calories with a nutritional value that's close to nil. And once I start eating, I won't stop until it's all gone.
    Others can moderate no problem, but not me.
    For this reason, I cut all that garbage out of my diet and stick to whole foods 6 days out of the week. On day 7, sure, I have a cheat day and eat whatever.
    As things progressed over the years, I eat less and less of the junk, so it gets better.
    Just make sure you're following the MFP recommendations for calorie intake, including eating back your exercise calories. This leads to safe, steady and lasting results.
    Hope this helped... <3

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Unless I stay under 20g of carbs/day, my consumption of carbs, especially bread, will get higher and higher and higher until it's almost all I eat. And I'm a baker too, so I push the stuff, I like making it too. The result: pre-diabetes, insane triglycerides. This had to stop, so I'm now coming off this through a ketogenic diet, high in fat. For me, this works, also because of my birth history (premature, very low birth weight), it's not for everyone. Personally speaking, eating bread "in moderation" simply does not work. I now allow myself one meal a week where I can eat some bread, then I take exogenous ketones to get myself back into ketosis. Extreme, perhaps, but fully warranted by my health stats.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    A good eating plan for me includes fiber from vegetables and beans. Also a good amount of fat. When I have those I am o.k. and do not crave carbs or sugar. Good luck.
  • AlexPhillips0822
    AlexPhillips0822 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree with lodro. If carbs are that much of a problem for you, cut them out completely. The real problem comes when carbs are cut out and the calorie intake is not replaced by other sources of energy. This causes mean hunger/carb cravings and the diet collapses. My suggestion would be to look into a ketogenic diet as well. It's a big commitment to make and frankly very rough the first week but it could definitely be worth it in the long run. As for staying in a moderate calorie deficit while in ketosis, I have found it surprisingly easy. This is because the healthy fats keep me full much longer and once by body realized it was getting consistent calorie dense food I stopped getting regular food cravings throughout the day. Follow the link below for a FAQ page on ketosis and how it works. This site helped my understand it better when I first started but don't be afraid to search around and find more information.

http://www.ruled.me/ketogenic-diet-faq/

Good luck
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I think humans are addicted to carbs in general. Our bodies crave them because we are supposed to eat them. They are fuel. If you make a point to also eat enough protein and fat, and make smart carb choices like mostly vegetables, fruit and whole grains, you may find the need to overeat is lessened.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I eat a high-carb diet, so am really not the Queen of carb reduction.

Consider not eliminating fruits and veggies from your diet. They have vitamins and minerals that our bodies need, they bring fiber (a carb) along for the ride and they taste good. Fruits and veggies are Good Carbs, for sure, IMO.

I had a problem limiting white pastas and breads after I ate some. Once I'd eat them, I'd want more. It was a serious craving and nothing - not even eating more of them - would take it away until I had a good night's rest. Once I'd slept, they could sit in the fridge and go bad for all I cared, but if ate any, I'd want more.

So, I cut those things out. I eat whole wheat pastas and breads and don't have the ridiculous cravings. Whole wheat is healthier, anyway, so it all worked out well.

That works for me. Pay attention to your diet and how you feel and you'll find what works for you. :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you shouldn't be starving yourself. because then you binge

carbs aren't bad. some are healthier than others.
    try for real whole grain or multigrain. more fiber. and you will feel full longer.
    consider getting the most nutrition per calorie.
    while a calorie deficit is all you need to lose weight, it's easier not to over eat when you feel full and happy, imo
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    When we eliminate something completely from your diet, we usually end up wanting it more and more. I am currently on a low-carb diet, and have been able to give up most things that are typical, like bread rice pasta, and I won't say it was easy, but with diabetes looming over my head, it's better than the alternative. But I eat fruit which has carbs and I have an occasional treat that has carbs, but I'm not just going to sit down and have a sandwich or a piece of bread at a restaurant, because that just doesn't excite me. Going on a low-carb diet is not something I thought I would ever do and it is a situational just necessity. I am losing weight so that's a good thing and I have lost my taste for all of those bready starchy types of food. You might want to go to a nutritionist; I am going to one next week to help me plan some meals that not only are good for me but also for my husband who is not really following a diet. But it hasn't been much trouble and it's helping take the weight off so that makes me happy.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone low carb, but I'm going low simple carb. You need them for brain function and energy. I'm not sure what type of carbs that you are 'addicted' to, but I'm assuming breads and the like.
    Simple carbs cause my blood sugar to spike and crash, and I got myself into this vicious cycle of hanger and binging. It was better for my to cut bread out, not only for my blood sugar but my acne as well. It took me a couple weeks to break that cycle, but it's easier in the summer because there is so much delicious produce in season that I can replace the simple carbs with.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Danielle!

Is there a reason you're cutting back / eliminating carbs? See from your goal that you aspire to run a marathon (on my list as well) and while I'm sure it's possible, I cannot imagine attempting this without delicious carbs for fuel.

Just make small changes that become habits - identify goals that support these changes and continually set and achieve small goals, building upon these until you reach a much loftier and longer term goal.

Elimination diets don't work because they go against our nature - we love to eat. Just eat the same foods you love, but in proper proportion. Keep tabs as you go and make small changes that you know you can live with 10, 20, 30, etc. years from now.

You got this!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Do you eat enough fat and protein to fuel yourself with fewer grams of carbs? (Try a high protein breakfast, with moderate fat, and see what happens).
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Reading your OP, low calories could be part of the issue, but it might be that your macro balance is out of whack. I find that when I am lower (for me) on carbs for a few days, I end up going carb crazy for about a day. I wonder if you might experience something similar; I've found that just hitting my macros as much as possible really helps me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Carbs are a very diverse category of foods, you know. They include fruits, vegetables, starches (potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, grains), and (largely) legumes, as well as sugar.

Are all of these your issue?

If what you mean is you overeat hyper-palatable, low nutrient, high calorie foods (often called "junk foods"), more often than not those foods have as many calories from fat as carbs, or close to it. I don't think it's all that useful to demonize "carbs!" or act as if they are the problem.

That said, the answer to your question is contained in your original post:
    I start off really good with a diet, starve myself and back to binging on CARBS.

Are you eating a reasonable number of calories? That's the first question. There are ways of eating that may be more filling if you are (although people vary, so you need to experiment). I'd recommend getting protein and fiber at all meals, for example, and trying to make even snacks have some balance of protein and fat, as well as carbs.

I find it helpful to try to get protein and vegetables at all meals.

Edit: I see from the comments above that you are training for a marathon--if so, I'd definitely think about whether you have a reasonable calorie goal.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Stop starving yourself. Find out what your body prefers to eat and eat it. For me, it's low to zero carb, the closer I get to 0 the better control I have over my eating habits and the healthier I feel. It's not for everybody, because some people can't get it out of their heads that they deserve to eat the sweet stuff and enjoy their food. Food is fuel, period. It's like air and water, you need it to survive, but you shouldn't be surviving to need it. Eat what is healthy to you and stop eating the stuff which you can't control yourself around. Yes, you'll feel awful and have really intense cravings at first, but they will pass and then you will realize you are actually in control again. Good luck.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Welcome back Danielle!

Is there a reason you're cutting back / eliminating carbs? See from your goal that you aspire to run a marathon (on my list as well) and while I'm sure it's possible, I cannot imagine attempting this without delicious carbs for fuel.

Just make small changes that become habits - identify goals that support these changes and continually set and achieve small goals, building upon these until you reach a much loftier and longer term goal.

Elimination diets don't work because they go against our nature - we love to eat. Just eat the same foods you love, but in proper proportion. Keep tabs as you go and make small changes that you know you can live with 10, 20, 30, etc. years from now.

You got this!

I do long distance bicycling on a ketogenic diet. Works well.

For me, but it's my personal metabolism, not anyone else's, a ketogenic diet is healthy and not a hardship because I feel so wonderful. Yes, I loved to eat bread and stuff with incredible sugar content and I felt awful almost all of the time and gained a lot of weight. I tried calorie restriction by an "all things in moderation" philosophy and it was hell. By sheer will power I lasted 4 months, then gained back all I lost plus a surplus. A visit to the cardiologist was a big, big wake up call.

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options