Anorexia and starvation mode

Options
I no doubt believe in starvation mode. I understand all the math and science and PROOF behind eating at least 1200 calories a day plus exercise calories, but I can't help but to wonder... How do anorexics continue to lose weight either not eating at all or eating somewhere between 100-800 calories a day? They are in starvation mode, right? Just eventually the body is forced to use the calories it would much rather be holding on to?

Before MFP, I starved myself for a few months, thinking that it was the only way to lose weight. Now, I know better, but I'm also wondering what I should do to increase my calories to a healthy level without gaining back everything (plus more)?

Replies

• anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode become plain 'ol starvation, and their bodies tend to destory itself, just to keep going.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Here's something I found when I googled starvation timeline:

"For the first few days of starvation the body uses its stores of glycogen in liver and muscle. This is accompanied by salt excretion with substantial weight loss. The next phase lasts up to day 10-14, during which time glycogen stores are exhausted and certain amino acids are used to make more glycogen. In the final phase, most energy comes from ketones produced by the breakdown of fatty acids. When fat stores are used up there is catastrophic protein use" (meaning the body starts to use muscles and organs).
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    http://undressedskeleton.tumblr.com/RestrictingRescue

Look at this! It's what I used and it saved me a ton of hassle and made me feel better in the long run(:
  • allegram
    allegram Posts: 117
    Options
    someone wrote an excellent post about this...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230930-starvation-mode-how-it-works?hl=starvation+mode

I hope it answers your questions!
  • Lizzybugz
    Lizzybugz Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, when people with anorexia are losing weight, their bodies are surviving off from muscles and vital organs. Gradually, their bodies lower the amount of calories necessary and begin to place energy into the most important body functions--such as breathing, their hearts pumping, etc.

I think, as women, we all go through periods of starvation modes before we learn better. Hopefully, we do learn better.

Every single time that a person with anorexia looks in the mirror, they feel ugly, fat, and a variety of other emotions and thoughts flood through their minds and hearts. They never learn better. Unless of course they go to therapy and get treatment. Even then, they often struggle with food for the rest of their lives.

Eating disorders break my heart. Hopefully women like all of you can keep making the difference and eventually young women perhaps won't develop the disorder in the first place because they learn to see what is really beautiful.

I love all of my MFP friends! You are an inspiration to us all! <3
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Ask the girls in the cemetery.
    They lost weight but the body can only take so much damage.
  • ashleigh2311
    ashleigh2311 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Ask the girls in the cemetery.

not everyone who has an eating disorder ends up dead :/

recovery from anorexia was the hardest thing i ever did and i wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy.
    But plenty of people manage it!

I know its the psychiatric disorder with the highest mortality rate, but its not like that is the aim in losing the weight in the first place.
    If i had wanted to kill myself i would have saved myself years of struggle!
  • CarolMorris66
    Options
    Very true Ashleigh2311

At my lowest weight I was 6st 7 (91 lbs) and was in a bad way. My kidneys were struggling as was my liver but I fought back, to the point that I have now been trying to lose 25lbs to get me down to a healthy 10st 10lbs (150 lbs).

I often thought that there were easy ways out, but didn't choose to take those....!

Surviving Anorexia, to me, has been my one inspiration and at times I have to think very carefully about how much/little I eat and work hard at it.

Don't knock people with Anoriexia, we don't do it by choice, but the survivors are much stronger people on the journey back
  • julia23
    julia23 Posts: 87
    Options
    I've had anorexia and bulimia for three years now.
    I got down to 7st 2lbs just starving myself and for months and months i was stuck at that weight. Basically your body shuts off it can't handle the limited amount of fat you're feeding it so it starts to burn your muscles and then the smallest amount of food you do it your body sucks all the fat out of it and clings on just to keep going.

Anorexia in my terms does work, bulimia very much doesn't which is why i'm back on here trying to give up for the thousands time but i would seriously never ever recommend anyone starving themselves at all even to the smallest degree. It's a very dangerous slope and i never thought i'd get an ED but little habits can take over your life.
  • vgndroid
    vgndroid Posts: 2
    Options
    @julia23 i currently have that same problem, i know it's not a good thing but I'm pretty sure i have it under control. be friends?
  • freakybeanie
    Options
    I have also gone from Anorexia to Bulimia (over 14 years) obviously not intentionally. It's hard to see how I used to be so determined and not eat, (not advocating it) and now can't stop myself stuffing......... ive gone from 7st to 11 st and up and down in between many times.
  • decapitator
    Options
    I also believe that "starvation mode" might be a myth...
  • Hopelessbird
    Options
    I had anorexia, then it became exercise bulimia. I was hungry and woozy all the time. Whenever I would get hungry, I would sleep instead. Then I stopped because I was getting strep throat all the time for 6 months.
  • dancin2011
    dancin2011 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Eventually, something's gotta give. I was extremely anorexic for much of my life but now in recovery. My body would cling onto everything and nobody believed me that eating just a little bit would make me gain weight, but it would because my body was adjusting and holding onto everything. I finally just had to stop eating and drinking altogether so I could lose weight. It was a terrible situation.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I no doubt believe in starvation mode. I understand all the math and science and PROOF behind eating at least 1200 calories a day plus exercise calories, but I can't help but to wonder... How do anorexics continue to lose weight either not eating at all or eating somewhere between 100-800 calories a day? They are in starvation mode, right? Just eventually the body is forced to use the calories it would much rather be holding on to?

Before MFP, I starved myself for a few months, thinking that it was the only way to lose weight. Now, I know better, but I'm also wondering what I should do to increase my calories to a healthy level without gaining back everything (plus more)?

Starvation mode is frankly a very unhelpful term, but it is the one most people use. It is when your calories are too low but not so low that you are severely starving. Anorexic people are truly starving. The same sort of things happen, but the body can only reduce its metabolism so far without ceasing to function. Thus, they lose weight including the vast majority of their muscle mass.

Eat at your BMR and take time. You may see a weight increase at first because you have likely slowed your metabolism, but keep exercising and making good food choices and that should stop and you should start to lose weight.

Also check out http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/532053-1200-too-low especially Heybales post near the bottom of the first page.
  • Ady0092
    Ady0092 Posts: 86
    Options
    http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501
  • privatetime
    privatetime Posts: 118
    Options
    http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501

Great link!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode just refers to a state of conservation that the body goes into when you literally starve yourself. It doesn't mean you can't lose weight, but it can be the difference between half a pound and a whole pound. It's not a myth, just misnamed.