goal is 1500 but i ate 2130 today. ..am i ok?

Options
My goal is 1500cals per day. I log and weigh everything.
I ate 2130 calories today but i decided to log exercise today so mfp would calculate more calories i needed to eat for today. I never log exercise or eat back exercise calories. I only did this today to make myself feel better about my day. I still went over by 100 cals though. My tdee is only 1750 because i have a desk job. But i am a busy mom of 1 toddler and i lift dumbbells 3 times a week and walk 30min 3 times a week. Im healthy bmi. Just trying to improve looks.
do you think i set myself back much by having a day like this today?

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    Options
    If you were over your net goal by 100 calories,no,of course you didn't set yourself back much.

It is the average that matters - if you go over by 100 or more sometimes, under by around the same sometimes you will still get there fine.
    And it's all estimation anyway so intake is never going to be exactly what you think it is, so don't stress over small amounts off target.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    If you are a healthy BMI and just trying to improve looks, losing weight isn't really the goal anyway ??
  • fishcat123
    fishcat123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, happens. If your TDEE is 1750, you went 380 over. Normally, your deficit is 250, so it's like you ate at maintenance for about two days, so it's like you will reach your goal about two days later. Having a 2130 day once in a while doesn't sound bad, but more than once a week or even every couple weeks and it will slow down your progress, so probably only a good idea on special occasions (like a really good dinner out, not eating a bag of chips by the TV...unless that's really your thing:P). Or, you could eat 1200 or a day or two to make up the deficit if that works for you.

I usually eat about 1200 and don't usually eat exercise calories back, but will eat ~2000 maybe once every three weeks. I usually feel like I need less food the next day (and probably do!), so usually naturally will do so. I'm still losing weight steadily, and I think it's good for me personally to have those kinds of cheat days - I'm not keen on giving them up, so it's better to work my weight loss goals around them.
  • Leka1000
    Leka1000 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If you are a healthy BMI and just trying to improve looks, losing weight isn't really the goal anyway ??
    Yes weight loss will improve my looks.
  • Leka1000
    Options
    If you were over your net goal by 100 calories,no,of course you didn't set yourself back much.

It is the average that matters - if you go over by 100 or more sometimes, under by around the same sometimes you will still get there fine.
    And it's all estimation anyway so intake is never going to be exactly what you think it is, so don't stress over small amounts off target.
    Right but my goal is 1500 and i ate 2130 today...
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Leka1000 wrote: »

But when you add in the calories you burnt off through exercise, you only went over by about 100.
  • paperpudding
    Options

No your NET goal is 1500.

You can eat 3000 or whatever if you do enough exercise to bring the net back to 1500.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    nope youre doomed.
  • Leka1000
    Options

No your NET goal is 1500.

You can eat 3000 or whatever if you do enough exercise to bring the net back to 1500.

Ah so i needed to exercise off 630 calories. ..which i prob did. Thanks...
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If your TDEE is 1750 and you ate 2130, with a normal deficit of 250/day then its like you erased the deficit for the past 1.5 days. Not a big deal. Meaning your average for the past 1.5 days was maintenance.

I suspect you're confused about TDEE though since you mention exercise calories. TDEE includes exercise calories. So your TDEE is higher than you think, if you're not counting them. Regardless: life goes on. You're ok!
    My goal is 1500cals per day. I log and weigh everything.
    I ate 2130 calories today but i decided to log exercise today so mfp would calculate more calories i needed to eat for today. I never log exercise or eat back exercise calories. I only did this today to make myself feel better about my day. I still went over by 100 cals though. My tdee is only 1750 because i have a desk job. But i am a busy mom of 1 toddler and i lift dumbbells 3 times a week and walk 30min 3 times a week. Im healthy bmi. Just trying to improve looks.
    do you think i set myself back much by having a day like this today?

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Duplicate post. Oops
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    It might help to look at calories as a weekly thing, too. If your deficit is 250 and you eat 500 over TDEE one day, you are still -1000 for the week, even though you wiped out three days' worth of dieting.

It's the way to do it if you have a family gathering or big night out.
  • Leka1000
    Options
    Thanks! II've noticed today too that i cannot eat less to make up for my overage...i tried and my body just wont let me. I go as long as i can with 1500 daily and then bam go a little over for a day or two. Plus as stacie said my tdee prob higher than i think! Yay!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're fine.
  • paperpudding
    Options

If you are using the MFP method, yes.
    That method is designed to have you eat back exercise calories.
    Although some people say the exercise calories given are over stated - so perhaps eat back 3/4 of them.
  • markackerman408
    markackerman408 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No boggie as long as it doesn't become a habit. Relax