50-year old female struggling with menopause and weight loss

Options
Hello! My name is Angela. I'm new to My Fitness Pal. I'm looking to connect with people of all ages and fitness levels to stay on track.

Replies

• dmdeubel24
    dmdeubel24 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join you for motivation. I am in the same boat....help....just want to feel good about my self image
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    In same boat. i've lost all the weight, eat and excercise exactly the same but have noticed weight gain last 4 months as i get closer to menopause. i lift, run, eliptical, count calories, thats the only explanation i have is menopause for the weight gain - darn hormones
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Hi, I', 56 and 5'1.5" so struggling with the lower metabolism of a post 50 shorter woman.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    make sure you aren't mistaking a metabolism change associated with age or menopause. There is a very small change due to the speed of cell turnover. However, Most of the metabolism change is due to loss of muscle and doing less activity. I had to learn to move like I did when I was a 28 year old when I turned 46 and it really made a difference..my weight is back where it was when I was in my 20's. Walk to the market, walk to and from the health club. Reduce screen time. Plan sight seeing adventures every weekend.
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I can relate. I'm a 46 year old hormonal mess :)
    I feel like I need to work twice as hard to see half the results. Wild weight fluctuations from day to day can really mess with your motivation so try not to let that derail you. If you work hard and stay focused the weight will come off.
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and have been in menopause for 2 years as a result of a total hysterectomy. I started on MFP in November 2014 because I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. It is possible to lose the weight but it takes a longer time. I'm almost halfway to my goal of losing 50 pounds but it's taken me 9 months to lose 24 pounds. I've incorporated exercise into my weight loss plan and my energy levels have increased dramatically. I love to eat so I set my weight loss goals to lose about a half pound to a pound a week and it works much better.
    Feel free to add me as a friend. I log daily and am on a 260 day streak :)
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Menopause may not be a walk in the park, but it doesn't have to be dire and a sentence of weight gain and misery. The magic bullet truly is exercise - good cardio and strength training to preserve and shape muscle.

I am losing at 1800 calories a day. I like to add exercise to earn more calories (but not everyday.) I went into menopause believing all the 'negative press', if you will, and it really cost me in terms of optimism and fitness. It is a much better path for me to just MOVE and get over it.

Sure my weight loss is slow, but eh, what's the rush.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and loss 44 pounds while in menopause, and have been maintaining for a year and a half. I would say this time my weight loss journey was easier, smoother, much better. All I did was eat less and moved more. Don't allow menopause and hormones to get in your day. You can do this!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Feel free all to add me, 50 f,m, menopause and no thyroid.
    I lost 25 lbs. doing mfp logging food, and walking 3-5times a week. Trying now to start weights.
    Thinking resistant bands, or body weight.
    It is true..... Eat less Move more.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,141 Member
    Options
    I'm well into perimenopause (confirmed by my gynecologist) ... and used it as an excuse for not losing weight for about a year.

Then I decided enough was enough, signed on with MFP, started logging all my calories and eating less than I burn ... and the weight has fallen off. Turns out ... perimenopause wasn't a valid excuse at all. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I'm 53 and loss 44 pounds while in menopause, and have been maintaining for a year and a half. I would say this time my weight loss journey was easier, smoother, much better. All I did was eat less and moved more. Don't allow menopause and hormones to get in your day. You can do this!

khbr33p9imqa.gif