Cardio is the worst

Options
I am having such a hard time getting my cardio in each week. The weights are my favorite so that is no problem, but cardio to me is so boring but also hard. I'm sure it doesn't help that I was a smoker for over 20 years and just gave it up almost 4 years ago, but still! Wish I had someone close by who could drag me to do cardio! Sorry I'm ranting, I'm procrastinating going to the gym. Lol

Replies

• Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    how long have you been doing cardio work? It does get easier, but it takes some time. Maybe your initial intensity is too high.

As to boredom, gym machines for cardio are boring, but it too eases in time. After a few weeks, your body gets stronger and your mind drifts to other things. You can use music or tv to distract. Or, you could forego the indoor cardio and do some nature trails so the scenes are constantly changing.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    cardio can be anything that gets your heart rate up
    dancing, zumba, hoola hooping, spinning poi, walking, jogging, vinyasna yoga, swimming, jump rope, stairs. etc

find something you like to do and do that
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    cardio can be anything that gets your heart rate up
    dancing, zumba, hoola hooping, spinning poi, walking, jogging, vinyasna yoga, swimming, jump rope, stairs. etc

find something you like to do and do that
    Agreed - I rarely do the 'boring' version of cardio, except when I'm in the gym to do weights, and I want to warm up and get my heart rate up before I start them. I usually get my music on to avoid being bored. But most of the time, I do boxing, hooping or spinning classes, or go swimming - things that really interest me, and are fun to do. I don't think I'd do cardio if it wasn't fun (part of the reason I avoid walking or running - doesn't interest me). You'll never turn it into a long-term habit if you're bored with something. Just because you feel unfit now doesn't mean cardio is always going to be that hard - work to your level, and slowly build up. Things like spinning classes are great, as you set your own levels and work to the max of your own ability. Same with HIIT too - but that's a killer class!
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I am with you, I hate cardio and I cant do it for a long period of time. I mostly just do walking as mine. I never smoked so I dont have that excuse, I just suck at it lol
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Try spinning, biking, swimming, hiking, brisk walking etc.
  • Reema_capricorn
    Reema_capricorn Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    I agree with you Tammy. Cardio sucks, weight training rocks!! I lost my boobs with too much cardio when I was 19. I got them back now coz I dont gym anymore lol.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I use cardio to clear my mind. I have two kids at home and it's nice to go out for a walk/run and be able to have thoughts that aren't interrupted by little voices asking for things! I walk outside and the other night there were lots of bats out, which was interesting.
  • shokes718
    shokes718 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of cardio either, but I do two things that I really enjoy. One is just to explore my neighborhood parks/lakes and walk 3-4 miles. It's my way of decompressing. The other is to take a dance fitness or Zumba class. The music is great, you're motivated by those around you, it's fun and the time flies.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    One of the trainers at my Y is an extremely fit woman in her late 30's maybe early 40's. I'm talking ripped.
    She doesn't do cardio. She just lifts heavy. Guys at the gym are envious of her build.
    Personally I love to swim. And I swim a lot. 4 miles a day min. For me it works my back, core and upper body strength as well. Not just aerobic.
    Also hit the weight room 3 times a week. Sometimes more.
  • tammymoberg
    tammymoberg Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all, I keep trying to make it happen more often. I love lifting heavy weights 3-4 times a week, but to me that is easy. It is hard to stay motivated without a workout partner. How do you stay motivated??
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I'm not a massive fan of straight cardio either. Weights and circuit training is where it's at for me. I'm neutral-ish towards running provided it's outside and I can look at stuff, listen to music/podcasts etc. I try to go once a week, mostly to improve my performance in OCR and to have a well rounded fitness routine. But I basically have to drag myself out the door.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all, I keep trying to make it happen more often. I love lifting heavy weights 3-4 times a week, but to me that is easy. It is hard to stay motivated without a workout partner. How do you stay motivated??
    If you don't like cardio, don't do it. Or find something you like.

I lift and I run. I run because I like races and I have to train if I want to race. That's my motivation. Running is also a chance for me to be alone and let my mind wander. It's a good stress release.
  • Cup_
    Cup_ Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Weights and circuit training are my fav and get my heart rate up. But I do use the incline treadmill (goes up to 40% incline, and has preprogrammed workouts that kick butt). Some people only lift, and their bodies are killer.