Just started, need help!

Options
Hi, I'm brand new here, just got this app yesterday! I would thoroughly appreciate anyone who wants to help me stay on target with this, I am terrible at staying motivated.

I've got a job as a driver and am on call 24/6 so Keeping a routine is nigh-impossible and I have to eat and sleep when I can. I also end up eating a lot more fast food than is generally healthy. Since I've gotten this job, I've become heavier than I've ever been in my life! Really, any tips, tricks and especially support will be greatly appreciated!

~Emily

Replies

• KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hi Emily! You can add me as a friend if you like. MFP has helped me lose 86 pounds.
  • eoberle27
    eoberle27 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! That is really motivating to hear! :)
  • _0o0o0o_
    _0o0o0o_ Posts: 6 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hi Emily

I've read that sleep-deprived people tend to eat more. Try to get enough sleep, if possible.

My key insight: Do not wait until you are starving to make food choices. Make these choices ahead of time, to avoid making quick decisions based on convenience!

For example, instead of turning to fast food when you're ravenous while driving, try anticipating your hunger and packing healthy snacks. Don't leave the food within arm's reach, so you don't eat all your snacks at once. Eat a snack to keep yourself from reaching that "super hungry" state in which you might make a bad choice.

If meal planning doesn't work for you, try to identify healthy food options/restaurants to substitute for the fast food. At work, I have a choice of buying food from a bakery, or walking to a grocery store where I can make myself a salad at lunch time. I started walking to the grocery store in January, and now I have lost over 40 lbs.
  • ttanderson79
    ttanderson79 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Emily,

Congatulations!!... for having the heart to change something in your life for the better. That first step is such a big one so good on ya. I had a delivery job for years that was all hours like you mentioned so I understand a little the struggles you are up against. The odd hour and lack of a good sleep schedule will wreak havoc on your health and emotional centeredness.

Solution: One of the things that helped me was having a go to snack. I like KIND bars but your go to snack might be something totally different. Try to find something that HAS good fats and some protein in it. This will keep your body feeling full(satisfied not lethargic) longer which will help you from having to break down and eat those less healthy options. I hope this helps you as you begin this journey. Just remember don't put to much pressure on yourself. That added stress will not help! Just focus on finding something that you like to eat (that actually tastes good) and have it around when you need some good energy.

You can to it!
    -Train
  • eoberle27
    Options
    Thank you, that's good insight. I tend to be sleep-deprived as a matter of course so there's not much I can do about that. I never know when I'm going to work so sleep-patterns are out the window, lol.

We're also not allowed much time to stop when driving (15 minutes there and back :/) so I'm very limited in where I can eat. Restaurants where I have to wait are pretty much out and if it's not right on the routes I drive it's not really an option. (Yes, I have a horrible job that strictly keeps track of time and mileage.)

I also find that sometimes in the middle of the night, I have to eat something to keep going, otherwise I fall asleep at the wheel. It's a bit not good, but I don't have any other options for work at the moment.

But yes, I probably do need to start trying to take food with me. I'm not always given a lot of time to prepare for my trips so I'll have to try and keep pre-made stuff ready to go, but I can at least give it a go.

Bad part is, sometimes my shifts last up to 15 hours so if that happens I really have no choice but to eat out. Also, I am literally stuck in a vehicle that whole time so refrigeration is an issue. There are coolers full of water but in past experience, the ice either freezes my food or it melts and water logs everything. :/

I'm sorry, I know I just sound like I'm making excuses but I just want to be upfront with all the issues!
  • eoberle27
    Options
    Solution: One of the things that helped me was having a go to snack. I like KIND bars but your go to snack might be something totally different. Try to find something that HAS good fats and some protein in it.

Thanks a bunch! So, since I'm a total newbie at reading nutritional info on packages what sorta things should I be looking for to get good fats?
  • _0o0o0o_
    Options
    eoberle27 wrote: »
    We're also not allowed much time to stop when driving (15 minutes there and back :/) so I'm very limited in where I can eat.

^^ this really sucks.

You may have to opt for a combination of meal planning, snack packing and fast food. Try to choose healthy foods from the places you can stop. Avoiding the fast food place all together would make it easier on you, and would be a good coping strategy, but if you are so limited then you may have to to there and order the salad. Most fast food places have salads now, and if you bring some additional foods from home, you could end up with a decent sized meal.

Try packaged foods that wont get waterlogged, but also bring along some raw, fresh foods that don't need to be kept cool.
  • jee_nee_us
    jee_nee_us Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    First thing First.

For us Soda is poison , keep away from it as much as possible.

Dump Soda and lbs will start dumping you.
  • _0o0o0o_
    edited August 2015
    Options
    eoberle27 wrote: »
    good fats

The fats generally called "good fats" are unsaturated fats, like those found in nuts, some fish and some oils.

That said, I don't think you need to go looking for fats, per see, they will find you. Maybe aim to limit "bad fats" or saturated fats found in meats (like ground beef) and dairy products (like most cheeses).
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Some great snacks that don't need refrigeration are some of those bars everyone loves (but I think some have a lot of sugar?), raw almonds, jerkey, whole grain crackers with almond or peanut butter, bananas or apples, little packs of tuna, and you can take some protein powder or drink mix with you to add to your drink on the go.
    I have a hard time with sudden hunger strikes while out and about, so looking at fast food menus during off time could be a way to find healthier fast food options. I know that Carl's Jr (here in Oregon, USA-I don't know where you are located :-P) has a low-carb jalapeno turkey burger for 300 cals. I just had one yesterday, and it was Delish!
    McDonald's has chicken snack wraps that you can get with honey mustard or bbq sauce, no cheese, and are 150 cals, and you can go al fresco at Taco Bell, and they have lots of options.
    Several supermarkets near me have ready made salads and wraps in their deli, which are easy to grab and go.
    It is hard when life is hectic, but taking care of yourself is very important. You made the right first step getting MyFitnessPal - it has helped me lose 141 lbs. If you stick to it and give it time, it will help you, too!
    Best of Luck!!
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Some good options are pre-portioned snacks (or you can portion out yourself ahead of time in baggies to save money). You can put together packs ahead of time with the calories for your day or shift that you can then just grab and go (easier than stopping for fast food!). Just be sure not to eat more than you've allocated and spread it out during your shift so you don't eat it all at once and then get hungry.

There are a lot of healthy, shelf stable items. Look for high protein and/or high fiber options because they'll tend to be more filling. Jerky (beef, pork, chicken, turkey, lots of options), nuts, granola bars (watch the calories on these and try to keep them under 150), protein bars (again, watch the calories on these--try to stay under 200 calories and over 12 grams of protein), cereals (again watch the calories and shoot for high fiber high protein options), the baby bell cheeses are in individual wax wrappers so they tend to travel well without refrigeration and fruits and veggies are also good options that don't need to be refrigerated.

Finally, for the staying awake while driving, jerky is great because it's chewy, but you could also use sugar free gum (cinnamon helps) without adding significant calories. Altoids give a good jolt, too, and are very low calorie (only about 3 calories per mint, similar to a piece of sugar free gum). If you're chewing gum and/or sucking on mints, just be sure to log them because even 3 calories per mint/piece of gum can add up.

Finally, I recommend researching the fast food restaurants on your routes ahead of time and researching the healthier options (they all do offer them now). Decide before you're in the moment what you'll get from each one, just in case you find yourself out and without any other options. That way you won't panic in the moment and get unhealthy options or get tricked by seemingly healthy options that aren't.

Good luck! You totally can do this!!!! :smile:
  • miss_rye_
    miss_rye_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I work long days with a commute, however I learned that if I meal prep, it makes a huge difference in my life!
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    _0o0o0o_ wrote: »

My key insight: Do not wait until you are starving to make food choices. Make these choices ahead of time, to avoid making quick decisions based on convenience!

Oh, and also, this is the BEST advice!!!!! Plan ahead!
  • eoberle27
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, guys. I will take it all into consideration. It's really great hearing about other peoples successes, I am feeling much more confident in my chances now!