Exercise + sweatproof sunscreen = ?

withchaco
withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been using regular sunscreen, but it comes flowing down my face in white streaks every time I work out. So I'm thinking about switching to a waterproof/ sweatproof sunscreen for my exercise sessions.

My question is, is that bad for skin? Like, would it block sweat from coming out or anything like that?

Replies

• kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Why do you wear sunscreen when you work out? Do you exercise outside?
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    I have not tried it, but I had a friend who used it religiously. As far as skin reaction. It is true, he had more aggressive breakouts when he was using it. I ended up opting for regular sunscreen and a sweat band to keep it and all the sweat out of my eye. Or a ball cap with a terry band on the inside. With the mesh cap, I didn't use the sunscreen where the cap covers. But I generally don't burn and often forget to use the sunscreen as well...
    <shrug>
  • ksar25
    ksar25 Posts: 5
    I've been using waterproof/sweatproof sunscreen for years- I like the spray on kind (I usually buy Neutrogena) and I've never had a problem sweating :) The deal is that it is supposed to protect your skin-so when you sweat you won't sweat it off. I went hiking sunday for 2 hours, sprayed myself before hand, sweat the whole time, and didn't get burnt! Go for it!

Kaley
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    shouldn't be a problem. i always do water/sweatproof on my face so it doesn't get in my eyes
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Thank you for the replies. Just put on my water/sweatproof sunscreen after reading them!

The main part of my exercise is indoors (gym), but I walk to and from the gym! It's about a 30 minute commute. :)
  • runninginplace
    runninginplace Posts: 42 Member
    We live in Arizona, so sunscreen is a must for all outdoor activities, plus my wife and daughter both have sensitive skin issues. Our sunscreen of choice is "Water BABIES® Pure & Simple Lotion SPF 50 Sunscreen".

"Fragrance free, oil free, dye free and hypoallergenic" so it's easy on your skin.

Don't let the Babies part scare you, it's for big kids too. :)

http://www.coppertone.com/coppertone/products/NEW/index.jspa#NEW-CoppertoneWaterBabiesPureSimpleLotionSPF50Sunscreen2flOz
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Thank you for the replies. Just put on my water/sweatproof sunscreen after reading them!

The main part of my exercise is indoors (gym), but I walk to and from the gym! It's about a 30 minute commute. :)

Gotcha!! Then it makes total sense! lol
  • ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Make sure you apply and let it set before you start running/walking. Aveeno and Neutrogena work well. Banana Boat makes one two that work really well, but it felt heavy in my opinion.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Coppertone Sport is pretty good and hasn't caused me to break out. And yes, you still sweat!
  • BethanieK
    BethanieK Posts: 201
    I just read an article that said the lotions are better than the sprays because they contain less chemicals.
    But I swim outside A LOT in the summer (it's about the only thing in Texas to stay cool), and I use the Aveno water/sweatproof SPF 70 lotion. Works great for me, just remember to reapply every so often.
This discussion has been closed.